IGNORED

Should more goals equal more points?

reddogkev

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Quite a lot of modern football games are now tedious to behold, and about as entertaining as watching your nan watching her paint dry.

For me, this is something that needs to change.

Just wondering about a possible change to the game - if a team scores 3 goals in a match they earn an extra point.

Could be trialled in the Championship or League 1 / 2 for example.

Would you agree with it?

If enough people agree, then I'll send a detailed proposal to the FA fao Mr Dyke.

Spot on. 

Nothing worse than teams that pass across the field ad nauseum, those that just park the bus or just play with the intention of getting to a penalty shoot-out.

No wonder so many games now lack atmosphere.

Many fans are probably been lulled to sleep or a drift off to a comatose state (especially as no-one is allowed to sing or shout for fear of waking them up!)

2 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Spot on. 

Nothing worse than teams that pass across the field ad nauseum, those that just park the bus or just play with the intention of getting to a penalty shoot-out.

No wonder so many games now lack atmosphere.

Many fans are probably been lulled to sleep or a drift off to a comatose state (especially as no-one is allowed to sing or shout for fear of waking them up!)

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz ... eh wot? ... pheeww where am I? ... whats the score, who's winnin' ?

9 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Said a few years ago that you could almost play a two legged game, whoever wins the aggregate score gets an extra point

It's fine though, it works just fine the way it is

They tried that in Speedway for a season or two, but have since given that up.

An extra point perhaps for winning by a two goal margin would lead to no end of speculation on the final day of the season.

9 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

But how far down the football pyramid do you go? For me, unless it can be brought in at all levels, then I am against the use of technology.

That's such a ridiculous stand point IMO, because then you should not allow £90 footballs to be used, no goal-line technology, no undersoil heating. I was in the stadium when Lampard's shot crossed the line and let me tell you I am most certainly for goal-line technology.

4 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

This was how our playoff  system started, the year we lost to Walsall we first relegated Sheff Utd.

Apparently they stopped it because of the crowd trouble that followed teams getting relegated via the playoffs. From what I remember the Blades fans didn`t exactly take it like gentlemen when we sent them down and that was happening everywhere.

I liked the idea in cricket World Cup, where the teams that qualified from the group, took their results against the other group qualifiers into the next stage.  It wouldn't translate to a league of 24 teams but it showed the advantage of the group games in the next stage.

The playoffs give no real benefit to the side who finished 3rd....I accept they play the 6th based team.  But it wasn't designed for fairness, designed to keep more teams interested at the end of season....and stop pointless games and dwindling crowds.

Didnt the conference / Alliance do 2 points for a home win and 3 for an away win at one point?  That's got something going for it I think.

6 hours ago, City169 said:

I like the playoff system used in another country (although I forget where) where the playoffs consist of teams from the lower division and 1 from the higher. This way the promoted side (if one does go up) has shown itself to be better than teams in the division above, and so should be capable of competing to stay in the division.

It used to be like that in this country - we relegated Sheff Utd from the div above in the 1988 play offs was it?

11 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Quite a lot of modern football games are now tedious to behold, and about as entertaining as watching your nan watching her paint dry.

Just wondering about a possible change to the game - if a team scores 3 goals in a match they earn an extra point.

Would you agree with it?

If enough people agree, then I'll send a detailed proposal to the FA fao Mr Dyke.

Your implication is that fewer goals are scored now than in previous years. The statistics don't back this up.

Premier League (for example) goals per game 92/93 was 2.65. This season it's 2.63. It's been roughly the same every season, peaking at 2.81 in 11/12. 

So the whole premise of your post is based on an untruth. Certainly lack of goals is not an issue that has ever occurred to me. If anything, there seems to be a lack of top quality defending in the modern game. On this basis I see no need for your suggestion.

36 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Your implication is that fewer goals are scored now than in previous years. The statistics don't back this up.

Premier League (for example) goals per game 92/93 was 2.65. This season it's 2.63. It's been roughly the same every season, peaking at 2.81 in 11/12. 

So the whole premise of your post is based on an untruth. Certainly lack of goals is not an issue that has ever occurred to me. If anything, there seems to be a lack of top quality defending in the modern game. On this basis I see no need for your suggestion.

Interesting stats, CR, very interesting.  If that is the case, then perhaps it's just a fact that I've become bored watching football simply due to the growing number of games I've seen over the years, and the sheer repetition of it all?

9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We often hear of teams ' winning the first , or second half ' ,  of a game , how about a point for winning either half and two additionnel points for the overall win .

it could mean that a team that got a tonking first half would have something to play for in the second and the Tonkers would n't be content just to sit on their lead but try to win the second half as well thus gaining 4 pts.

This idea is ok as a starter but it doesn't go far enough. Why just limit points to the match when there is so much more?  It should start when the teams arrive  at the ground, with points awarded to team that shows the most style leaving the coach. The pre match warm up also has potential - e g points for technical ability and originality. 

In reality, the options are endless - best dive, best walk off the pitch when substituted, best post match wave to the fans etc. 

How about an extra point for whoever's firm wins the clash off the pitch.  This would stop all the rhetoric that these fans do not represent their club and all the whining that there the game has become too middle class.  

Maybe a dressage aspect too, where participants could parade in their finest Stone Island & Burberry.  An added boost to the fashion industry if the idea takes off and we can export it abroad.

23 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Would you agree with it?

Are you American?

By adding extra points for goals you are trying to contrive entertainment, and the result of this will be that the game isn't real anymore.  Goals mean so much in football because you don't know if you are going to see one, so the bad dull games make the great games all the better.  This is what sets football apart from other sports.  This idea would be no different to making the goals bigger to get more goals.  

11 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

By adding extra points for goals you are trying to contrive entertainment, and the result of this will be that the game isn't real anymore.  Goals mean so much in football because you don't know if you are going to see one, so the bad dull games make the great games all the better.  This is what sets football apart from other sports.  This idea would be no different to making the goals bigger to get more goals.  

Quite right let it lie . 

14 hours ago, Shtanley said:

That's such a ridiculous stand point IMO, because then you should not allow £90 footballs to be used, no goal-line technology, no undersoil heating. I was in the stadium when Lampard's shot crossed the line and let me tell you I am most certainly for goal-line technology.

Actually I argue against technology for the very reason that mistakes are made. Part of the whole "football experience" are the many talking points that are generated, a large proportion of which would disappear with technology. Who doesn't enjoy remembering the palace goal that wasn't, and Geoff Hurst's 1966 "goal" is still talked about 50 years later!

Sad to lose that from the game IMO, and if I ever go to a game where the ref stops and makes a television screen symbol to ask for an opinion based on a replay, like they do in Rugby, that will be the last game I ever attend.

13 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Actually I argue against technology for the very reason that mistakes are made. Part of the whole "football experience" are the many talking points that are generated, a large proportion of which would disappear with technology. Who doesn't enjoy remembering the palace goal that wasn't, and Geoff Hurst's 1966 "goal" is still talked about 50 years later!

Sad to lose that from the game IMO, and if I ever go to a game where the ref stops and makes a television screen symbol to ask for an opinion based on a replay, like they do in Rugby, that will be the last game I ever attend.

I've never enjoyed a refereeing mistake. I can assure you I don't enjoy remembering Lampard vs Germany. 

33 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Not forgetting the old 2 points for a win system

Ditched to encourage teams to go for a win and diminish number of draws.

A lot of successful clubs were overly relying on a tight defence ,  scraping 1 nil wins at home and setting up for a draw away .

Along with the outlawed back pass to the goalkeeper i would say a good thing for the game .

I would n't want to change the game itself too much now but the Sport needs a radical overhaul for it to survive starting with the purge at FIFA .

Archived