IGNORED

Zac Vyner

mattjtsmith

Noticed a couple of times tonight that he got no support from the more experienced players, in the sense that as the more experienced players, they should have been giving him direction.

On 2/21/2016 at 10:46, Fiale said:

IT's great that we have Academy players able to walk into the first team at Championship level. I have no idea what the future of Reid and Burns are, but with them and Bryan, Vyner and young O'Leary are also deemed good enough... well when was the last time we had 5 City academy players in our team during a season ?  Things may be looking up.

6, Scott Golbourne should count

2 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Didn't have much help from freeman but unfortunately his performance  was worst performance at home from a city player this season ...

Perspective though...the lads 18 and obv has a bright future..he was also not in his natural position...get your head up zach you'll be back 

Very unfair on Freeman who (like Flint) bailed him out on numerous occasions in the first half.

Just found it incredible that he was still on after half time, there was a case for taking him off after half an hour, which I understood why LJ resisted, but it was terrible judgement that he stayed on as long as he did.

Thought he did struggle tonight, however on the ball looks very comfortable and relaxed. 

Feel that he will certainly improve and has the ability just needs time. 

Thought the whole team looked a different standard to Brighton tonight though. Very good team by all accounts

46 minutes ago, Youngish said:

Disappointing not to see anyone but ROD and Freeman console the lad after his mistake for their third. Flint and Pearce turned their backs on him!

True, but Flinty did put his arm around him  before he was subbed. Very touching - a man hug and hair ruffle and all!

hang on a minute people. Let's have a bit of perspective. He's one of our academy players who's just broken through to the first team and is very inexperienced. He's young and will learn from this. He's one of our own and we need to support him.

Looking at the bigger picture, it's excellent that we're bringing these youngsters through now but it does mean these things will happen as they learn the game.

If he starts again, let's get behind him.

To me, it doesn't matter whether you have played 2 games or 500 at senior level, if your gaffer trusts you enough to go out there and so a job - you have to go and do it. Unfortunately, Zak wasn't anywhere near up to it and got tore and absolute new one. If it wasn't for MK being poor going forward on Saturday, he could have also of cost us the win then as well. Nowhere near ready enough for this level yet, hopefully a spell out on loan will see him come back more streetwise as obviously we want to see as many of our academy boys make it with us - but he is nowhere near this standard yet. Brighton picked up on it very early on he was the weak link and if he had to continue to play due to Little/Ayling being unfit then it'd worry me that teams would continue to do that & we'll drop silly points.   LJ should've hauled him off HT, that was poor decision in my book.

28 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

hang on a minute people. Let's have a bit of perspective. He's one of our academy players who's just broken through to the first team and is very inexperienced. He's young and will learn from this. He's one of our own and we need to support him.

Looking at the bigger picture, it's excellent that we're bringing these youngsters through now but it does mean these things will happen as they learn the game.

If he starts again, let's get behind him.

No it's this kind of sentiment which winds me up about our fans sometimes. Yes I appreciate he is young and only his second game but he was awful position ally and under pressure, and sorry but if your manager asks you to do a job you have to be ready to take your opportunity when it comes.

i saw someone on here recently mention before Saturday that the next one to breakthrough from the academy will be zac vyner, well I worry about what the rest are like if he is the flag bearer for the academy.

for too long now the academy has struggled to produce players that are good enough for our first team for a sustained period of time, Reid and burns are nowhere near championship material.

i would love to have a strong academy producing home grown talent but similarly if they are nowhere near up to scratch, I won't sit back after awful performances and think let's give them more chances because their young.

The warning signs were there on Sat. He did ok but got caught out a few times. Luckily MK were rubbish.

All this talk about developing academy players is fine if they are good enough, but at the moment he is not. He's also not a RB. What was LJ thinking? 

All the "fellas" who talk about including the youngsters to build their confidence should think again. After last night I would be surprised if his hasn't taken quite a knock.

My longer term concern for ZV is that he doesn't look tall enough to be a CB in this league. I can appreciate him struggling if played out of position but does he have the basic physical attributes to make it in his favoured position?

Last night showed why managers are reluctant to put in youngsters. It could set a player back being ruthlessly exposed in a game like that. Hopefully he has the confidence to bounce back.

10 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Talk about a knock for confidence!! LJ needs to take all the blame tonight, but Brighton were probably the best side to play down here this season. 

"LJ needs to take all the blame tonight"  Really?  You would have changed a winning team?  I thought he was right to start with Vyner, but clearly the error for the first goal affected his confidence.  However, you can't pull a young player off straight away, and I think LJ was right to give him a chance to get his act together.  Clearly Zak was upset by the third goal, and at that point substituting him was right, but how do we know that Mark Little wouldn't have been equally exposed? 

I don't think any blame needs to be attributed to last night.  I suspect that Saturday took a huge amount out of the team, and with Brighton wanting to make up for a below-par performance against Cardiff, it was always going to be tough.  I watched the Cardiff Brighton match on TV, and they were a different team last night.  We were always going to struggle and while we might not have expected to conceded four, you can't blame LJ and you probably can't blame the players either (though I'd have liked to have seen Freeman make more intelligent use of the ball in the second half).

1 hour ago, HLR said:

To me, it doesn't matter whether you have played 2 games or 500 at senior level, if your gaffer trusts you enough to go out there and so a job - you have to go and do it. Unfortunately, Zak wasn't anywhere near up to it and got tore and absolute new one. If it wasn't for MK being poor going forward on Saturday, he could have also of cost us the win then as well. Nowhere near ready enough for this level yet, hopefully a spell out on loan will see him come back more streetwise as obviously we want to see as many of our academy boys make it with us - but he is nowhere near this standard yet. Brighton picked up on it very early on he was the weak link and if he had to continue to play due to Little/Ayling being unfit then it'd worry me that teams would continue to do that & we'll drop silly points.   LJ should've hauled him off HT, that was poor decision in my book.

As I have said on another thread, Murphy did the same to Ayling last season for Sheff U when they beat us 3-1 at home. We cannot try to crucify an 18 year old in his second game for last night. He will learn from this and so will LJ, I hope.

Whilst more so than usual last night, with no dig at the lad as his second game, it appears that whoever is in the right back position seems to get dragged inside a lot ... which then leave's either space or an immediate 2 on 1 position on the wing where they are them scrambling to get across - we have seen a few goals at home where the left winger/striker then cuts in and scores. 

Not sureally how to resolve this, but then again I am not a football coach/manager!

COYR

Archived