IGNORED

McFadzean

GrahamC

5 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Did we not try and sign him when McInnes was in charge @GrahamC

He has came across in both fixtures as a liability and an absolute moron. He tried getting Kodjia sent off yesterday, like he did in the game at our place. Elbows everywhere yet for a "big hard" centre half spends an awful lot of time on the deck. As TRL mentioned though I don't think he's helped by their style of play. Robinson insists on trying to play out from the back when they have a keeper and back 4 that couldn't pass water.

Glad we didn't sign him. Flint is miles better.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20130110-kylemcfadzeanbid-589851.aspx

I think O'Driscoll may have gone ahead with the deal if it wasn't for Mcfadzean's illness, but the initial interest certainly came while McInnes was manager. I expect that Derek looked at his name and assumed he was Scottish and therefore brilliant.. I have memories of a bid being accepted but I'm not sure if I'm right about that.

Have to say though that every time I have watched him since, and in particular yesterday, I have always felt we got lucky. I'm pretty sure the first time he played against us after we came close to signing him he made a massive error which lead to JET scoring. I know it was against Chelsea but in the FA Cup the other week he gave one of the most inept defensive displays I think I've ever seen.

It is always makes me chuckle when I remember some apologists for McInnes on here making the odd post about how the signing of Mcfadzean would have been a turning point for McInnes as he was what we were lacking. All the evidence to me suggests he would have been as successful for us as some of Derek's other attempts at sorting our defence out such as Foster, Wilson, McManus and Briggs.

15 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Some absolutely peak Kyle Mcfadzean for our first goal here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOu830u3DqI

As an aside, just remembered how empty the ground was for a couple of games around this time. I remember that Crawley game being particularly bleak until we were gifted a goal.

Remember that game well, Crawley were about the worst football league side I can ever remember us playing and even then under O'Driscoll we scraped what was our first home win and second win in fifteen (!) in the league.

The second goal came after a clear foul by Karleigh Osborne, but the bored few still turning up in those dismal O'Driscoll days were just relieved with a rare win..

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Remember that game well, Crawley were about the worst football league side I can ever remember us playing and even then under O'Driscoll we scraped what I think was our only win in about nine.

The second goal came after a clear foul by Karleigh Osborne, but the bored few still turning up in those dismal O'Driscoll days were just relieved with a rare win..

I remember that crunching Osborne tackle. It woke me up..

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm pretty sure Watson got 4....because he was in my sun dream team!

That's a bloody good memory of it! He may have had 4, I just took it from the lines of an article Google found saying Unsworth set up Watson for his hattrick. Didn't click the link to read it through.

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

That's a bloody good memory of it! He may have had 4, I just took it from the lines of an article Google found saying Unsworth set up Watson for his hattrick. Didn't click the link to read it through.

Obviously not as good a memory as I thought....it was 'only' the hat-trick....Big Dunc got the other according to Google

3 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Some absolutely peak Kyle Mcfadzean for our first goal here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOu830u3DqI

As an aside, just remembered how empty the ground was for a couple of games around this time. I remember that Crawley game being particularly bleak until we were gifted a goal.

There was still 10k there that night. And it never dipped below that across the season. Excellent support.

3 hours ago, bearded_red said:

First home league win of the season that, I remember because it was the first home game I missed. The second home league win that season was Boxing Day against Walsall, when I didn't get in until 1 minute after the goal. The penalty cheer went up as I entered Ashton Gate, and the cheer for it going in was as I went through the turnstile

During the televised MK v Chelsea game that BR just referred to above, Mark Lawrenson described McFadzean as a "head it, kick it" merchant and added simply and for good measure "he's just not a player". Lawro is not one to beat about the bush at the best of times, but I thought that was remarkably blunt even by his standards. Spoke volumes. McF is a horrible thug of a footballer and hopelessly inadequate at this level. I suspect he will not appear in the Championship again after this season.

13 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Two things stand out for me here:

1. JET's relentless high press exerting overwhelming pressure, creating his opportunity (just shows what he can do, cough)

2. Baldock's enthusiastic celebration of Joe's goal, when he himself was in a great position for a tap in. What a good egg Sam is

Archived