IGNORED

Bristol South End

Fiale

1 minute ago, handsofclay1909 said:

Trouble with that would be it would mean the board acknowledging that we existed before 1897, which of course is the case, 1894 and/or 1887 being our true year(s) of formation.

It just fit's perfectly for the stand and is a nice nod to our History, it's a shame, unless they are involved in Dairy have some sort of PTD of BSE.

I quite agree with you  Fiale, but the board set their stall out that Bristol City were formed in 1897, even incorporating this erroneous date in the club badge. All that occurred in 1897 was that Bristol South End turned pro by joining the Southern League and changed their name to Bristol City. It completely ignores Bristol South End. It would be like Bristol Rovers saying they were formed much later than 1883 because they weren't called Bristol Rovers then.

7 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

I think they are aware, you've only got to look at the flag bearers before kick off (god I hate those), of which they have 1894 on them.

Maybe they are slowly getting around to addressing this anomaly and let us hope one day the official badge displays our correct formation date.

I am going to really confuse matters now by revealing that when I was chatting to our official club historian, David Woods, a few months ago, he informed me that he has been finding very good links between Bristol South End and a club called Bristol South which suggest that Bristol South End were a continuation of the Bristol South club who disbanded c.1894, I believe Bristol South might well have been in existence prior to 1883, so if these links can be proven with more evidence it could mean that Bristol City are the oldest club in Bristol.

13 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Its easier to prefix it with a sponsor....For example "The SAINSBURY  south stand"

"The Sainsbury Bristol South end " would not roll off the tongue....

Of course there was always the option of "The Mickey Bell end" which was my favourite....

Sainsbury's BSE     what's not to like

article-2011124-0A949474000005DC-723_468

1 hour ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I am going to really confuse matters now by revealing that when I was chatting to our official club historian, David Woods, a few months ago, he informed me that he has been finding very good links between Bristol South End and a club called Bristol South which suggest that Bristol South End were a continuation of the Bristol South club who disbanded c.1894, I believe Bristol South might well have been in existence prior to 1883, so if these links can be proven with more evidence it could mean that Bristol City are the oldest club in Bristol.

I have come across this ebook : https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ymo7AwAAQBAJ&pg=PT116&lpg=PT116&dq=bristol+south+fc&source=bl&ots=vcFblzDFCg&sig=v5TV49A2kAy-oqmo_kzHT7aVEwQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwju9c3twInLAhUDxQ8KHXw5CGg4ChDoAQhCMAc#v=onepage&q=bristol%20south%20fc&f=false

12 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

I just tried looking up Milford Road on Google maps, and the only name it can find close to that is Milford Street !

Is it a case of the name being wrong, or has Milford Rd been demolished?

Good spot Threshing Red. I think David Woods research suggests that Bristol South simply morphed into Bristol South End and therefore Bristol South End weren't a new club at all. Maybe the story was put about back in 1894 that South End were a new club to rejuvenate them, or it could've been a ploy, as in 1982, to distance themselves from debts or controversies racked up by the Bristol South club by simply tweaking the name slightly, yet keeping the directors, officials and possibly the players etc.

I don't know where Bristol South played, but will get in touch with David Woods shortly to ask for this info.

3 minutes ago, Reds2016 said:

Bedminster Fc merged into Bristol City in 1900

Bedminster was formed in 1887. Is it right we acknowedge this?

https://en.m.wikip edia.org/wiki/Bedminster_F.C.

Spot on, though between 1887-90 the club were called Southville. Ashton Gate was Bedminster's ground. David Woods calls Bedminster the female line in our gdnealogical tree, because they lost their name in the marriage with Bristol City in 1900.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 19:04, Fiale said:

hmmm I wonder when Bristol South formed then, did they play at St.Johns lane ?

I played for Bristol South in the 80s, Sunday Regional. Fags before, half time and after. Cold showers, horizontal hail and no nets. Ahhhh.

On 2/21/2016 at 20:27, handsofclay1909 said:

Spot on, though between 1887-90 the club were called Southville. Ashton Gate was Bedminster's ground. David Woods calls Bedminster the female line in our gdnealogical tree, because they lost their name in the marriage with Bristol City in 1900.

Didn't Southville in their early years play at Bedminster park first? Then change their name to Bedminster when the cricket club came into the area. The cricket clubs first ground was coronation road just behind St. Pauls church. A few years later they had to move to greenway bush lane. Bedminster fc seemed to play here as well. Then the Wills family bought the land to build a tabacco factory so the clubs had to move to Ashton gate. 

https://www.facebook.com/BristolCityFcKnowYourHistory/posts/148043608719215

http://bedminstercc.co.uk/clubhouse-and-events/history/

Just showing this old map of the area, greenway lane area http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/series?xCenter=3157004&yCenter=2812192.8&scale=63360&viewScale=11338.5888&mapLayer=nineteenth&subLayer=first_edition&title=Ordnance%20Survey%20and%20Ordnance%20Survey%20of%20Scotland%20First%20Series&download=true

You know your stuff Threshing Red. I knew about the Greenway Bush Lane connection and that Ashton Gate was first used as a football ground by Bedminster in 1895. I also recollect when I was doing research for David Woods first City book back in the 1980s, that Dr W G Grace either refereed Southville's first ever match, or one of their very early matches, or actually played in it for Southville. I shall get the old discs out and crank up my old laptop and see what I can discover about this.

26 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

You know your stuff Threshing Red. I knew about the Greenway Bush Lane connection and that Ashton Gate was first used as a football ground by Bedminster in 1895. I also recollect when I was doing research for David Woods first City book back in the 1980s, that Dr W G Grace either refereed Southville's first ever match, or one of their very early matches, or actually played in it for Southville. I shall get the old discs out and crank up my old laptop and see what I can discover about this.

Wow, he certainly liked his sport....

No wonder I'm a supporter.

Greenway Bush Lane was the historical home of the Robbo family. :yes:

I am genuinely interested in history like yourself. I spend alot of time looking things up and then later forgetting about it, then spend more time trying to look it up again. I am quite interested in city history and it seems quite complex. At the moment I am trying to find out information about Greville smyth park. It seems to be first laid out in 1883 so Southville would have played their a few years later in 1887, Queen Victorias jubilee year. I have been wondering how much land the Greville Smyth family owned around ashton gate, bedminster and southville. I know they had coal pits at ashton vale. But they ran into problems and then went into financial problems so I suppose they had to sell off some land which became houses etc. 

I haven't found out much information on bristol south, there doesn't seem to be much available. It looks like they became Bristol South end, maybe due to financial reasons. I did notice the first secretary of the club, W.B. Hodgkinson was former founding member of eastville rovers who became bristol rovers, he obviously jumped ship or something. 

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

Wow, he certainly liked his sport....

He certaigobbledygookd, Fiale. In his prime he was also a fantastic bowler as well as a prolifanother'san, played football and refereed adozen l. All this as an 'amatuer' . 

Ignore that line, whenever I use a quote from somebody it can turn into gobbledygook And then I cannot correct it or even post again on the thread without it appearing. I was stating that W  G Grace was a fantastic bowler in his prime as well as a prolific batsman. As well as being a doyen of other sports he also still practiced as a doctor in Bristol. I could just imagine if they had those touch screens to register one's arrival at the docs back in Victorian times tapping your info in and receiving the message that Dr Grace is running late coz the Demon Spofforth has failed to get him out with the new ball at Lord's.

I stated earlier that Ashton Gate opened as the home ground for Bedminster in 1895. I was wrong, it was 1896. The first game was a 1-1 draw v Warmley. Threshing Red, I like where you are coming from and it made me laugh when you stated that you enjoy reading about City's history and then forgetting it and then reading up on it again. I seem to do a fair bit of that myself! Fortunately, some things do stick, albeit in fragmented form. I recall that in a match involving Bristol South End, or possibly Bedminster, versus Mangotsfield, Mangotsfield turned up with only two players and attempted to gain a draw from the fixture by exploiting the offside rule which meant three defending players had to be between the attacker and goal when the ball was kicked. Thus BSE had to stay in their own half. This lasted for about 20 mins until BSE obtained a corner from which they couldn't be offside and scored. Mangotsfield then conceded the match.

Another game I recall was I think a Boxing Day fixture between Bedminster and Portsmouth at Ashton Gate in about 1899. It was a freezing cold day and when the players were very late coming out to resume the second half, the ref returned to the dressing rooms to find out what was going on. He discovered that the players of both teams didn't want to resume the game because it was too cold. I think there were about 8,000 spectators that day who were less than impressed when the ref had to virtually push them back out onto the pitch. Aye, they were tough in those days!

On 2/23/2016 at 13:57, handsofclay1909 said:

Oh I think I found their drinking hole. I can imagine the cricketers and football fans using this pub, it's a good thought, W.G Grace strolling out of the pub. It got destroyed in the war though

http://bristolslostpubs.eu/page99.html

Archived