IGNORED

Bristol South End

Fiale

Apparently, prior to the second world war a lot of reference books and club programmes had our formation date as 1887, which is quite right as this was when Southville, who two years later became Bedminster, were formed. Bedminster merged with City in 1900. Bedminster's ground was Ashton Gate and the majority of the side that started the following, amalgamated, season were formerly Bedminster players plus half the new board were Bedminster directors. The main thing Bristol City brought to the party was their name. 

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

Bristol Cricket and Football Club 1888 ;)

Just like Genoa cfc.... si

I have a soft spot for Genoa as I believe they are the oldest Italian club. They also have an excellent goalkeeper in Perrin. Indeed, there are several very good, young keepers in Serie A. The AC Milan keeper being the youngest, just turned 17 and been in thd team since 16!

3 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I have a soft spot for Genoa as I believe they are the oldest Italian club. They also have an excellent goalkeeper in Perrin. Indeed, there are several very good, young keepers in Serie A. The AC Milan keeper being the youngest, just turned 17 and been in thd team since 16!

Same here...it was the first Italian match I ever visited and watched...Genoa v Venezia...it feels like a proper football club and stadium.

Also the only place I've visited that served pints of wine...:blink:

Has similarities with us being a Port City.

I agree about the Keepers.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Same here...it was the first Italian match I ever visited and watched...Genoa v Venezia...it feels like a proper football club and stadium.

Also the only place I've visited that seNapolitanoints of wine...:blink:

Has similari,ties with us being a Port City.

I agree about the Keepers.

I have toyed with having a favourite Italian club for the last three years since starting to watch Serie A regularly. I didn't want to opt for the obvious such as Juventus or the Milan clubs so have considered Napoli, Verona...who look doomed now, Torino and Genoa. I did think about that with Genoa being a port like Bristol, so now you have drawn that similarity to attention too I think I will plump for them. Another similarity with Bristol City is that Genoa haven't got a hope in Hell of qualifying for the Champions League!

2 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I have toyed with having a favourite Italian club for the last three years since starting to watch Serie A regularly. I didn't want to opt for the obvious such as Juventus or the Milan clubs so have considered Napoli, Verona...who look doomed now, Torino and Genoa. I did think about that with Genoa being a port like Bristol, so now you have drawn that similarity to attention too I think I will plump for them. Another similarity with Bristol City is that Genoa haven't got a hope in Hell of qualifying for the Champions League!

Nice team to follow...I used to go and watch Italian football regularly, especially when Ryan Air flights were cheaper.

Lazio became my team...followed them all over Italy.

Try and get to a Genoa Derby...it's nuts :-)

Napoli is by far the craziest I've been too...as was Brescia and Atalanta.

I always think Livorno would be closest to us in terms of achievement, Port, etc

At least with genoa you won't be accused of being left wing or a fascist...a curse when you follow someone like Verona, Lazio or Inter.

Thanks for your insights Spudski. I have been looking up Genoa and see that I can also have a soft spot for Napoli as the two get on very well. I never knew, until you called Genoa the cricket and Football club, that they still have the word cricket in their title. As far as I am aware, there are no English clubs in the League that carry the name of England's national sport in their title! Also, in their early years, only English people could join the Genoa Cricket and Football club and indeed, they played in England's colours until they adopted their red and navy blue.  I am glad you mentioned trying to get to a Genoa derby without mentioning Sampdoria by name. I hate Sampdoria...see I'm getting into it already!

Lazio are usually a good team to watch. Not such a great time for them this season, butwhat a cracker that was with Napoli towards the end of last season.

3 hours ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I have had a chat with David Woods and here follows some useful info on this topic. I make no apologies for what I am about to impart:

Bristol South were formed in 1884 to play cricket. By 1888 they decided to have a football section too. Several of Bristol South End's first players were formerly Bristol South players. In an interesting letter in the Evening World duringCity's cup run in the mid 1930s, a high ranking official at the former Bristol South club claimed that Bristol South End were a continuation of that club.

The first competitive match played in South Bristol was the Glos FA v Somerset FA on 7 April, 1885 which drew a crowd of 600 to the Bedminster Cricket Club ground. GFA won 1-0.sSouthville's 1st match was on 15 Oct, 1887 when they beat Criterion 1-0 with a Jack McCarthy goal on their home ground of Bedminster Park...now called Greville Smyth Park. In goal that day for Southville was Charles Gyles. A lot of Gyles brothers played for Southville and then Bedminster. Fred Gyles went on to open a sports shop. He died on 2nd Dec, 1918.

Bedminster, from 1889 to 90 season, played at Greenway Bush Lane on the junction with North Street. In 1901 Wills built their tobacco factory on the site. From Feb onwards each season, due to the preparation needed for the cricket pitch, the football pitch had to be moved to the far side of the ground where there was a tremendous slope. Greenway Bush Lane aka The Coronation Rd Ground had a stand erected there in 1894, prior to this temporary stands were used for Big matches. The 1891-92 season ended at GBL with a fancy dress match which attracted 1,500. Photographs exist of the teams in fancy dress.

St.John's Lane cost 20 quid per annum to rent from the Ashton Court Estate for BSE. Bristol South End's 1st match was v Swindon Town there on 1 Sept, 1894. 3,500 were in attendance to see South End lose 2-4 to the champions of the west country. The crowd were entertained by the Bristol South Band conducted by George Godfrey. He remained in this role for 53 years entertaining Bristol South End and Bristol City crowds until his final bow on 23 Aug, 1947 when, appropriately, Southend United were the visitors!

That was great information thanks mate. Is there any chance that Dave Woods would come on this thread and give us any further information? Is there any connection between bedminster cricket club and southville? The cricket club formed in 1847, had 2 teams and they played behind St. Pauls church. Then the cricket club moved to green bush lane in the late 1980s. Southville were playing in the park around this time. I just wondered if there was a connection between the two clubs?

I hope our club will recognise our true date which is in the jubilee era.

Archived