IGNORED

Zach Clough

Londoner

The arrogance. Apparently he rang his dad when offer made to get a response of "no chance" and that was the deal done.

on sky sports tracker if anyone knows how to copy it in here might be worth doing so.

A few points 

- Was never going to happen

- we laughed when we found out

- Bolton are bigger than Bristol city

- only came to talk out of respect

- decision made after 10 seconds of offer made.

Not really surprising if I am honest, I think the vast majority on here did not believe this would go through. Yes a bit arrogant but on the whole mostly truthful, whether anyone likes it or not Bolton are a bigger club than us, history not just recently but over a log period will tell you that. They may have difficulties at the moment but they still have hope.

odd that he had to come out and say this though, while it was respectful to come and have talks, it's disrespectful to discuss what happened now.

4 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

To be fair, Bolton are a bigger club. That and the fact it's his boyhood club

No they're not. 

they have a more successful history but their support is significantly smaller.  1986 Freight Rover final showed that.  Just look what happens to their crowds in League 1 - will be in the same ball park as the gas. 

8 minutes ago, Londoner said:

The arrogance. Apparently he rang his dad when offer made to get a response of "no chance" and that was the deal done.

on sky sports tracker if anyone knows how to copy it in here might be worth doing so.

A few points 

- Was never going to happen

- we laughed when we found out

- Bolton are bigger than Bristol city

- only came to talk out of respect

- decision made after 10 seconds of offer made.

Why come out of respect? If he's happy at Bolton, and the chances of not getting paid, and he laughed at us, then I'd rather he just put his big boy pants on and told SC to **** off

Absolutely agree that Bolton are bigger than us, only the incredibly foolish would disagree, but I wouldn't mind betting in 5 years time we'll be well ahead of them. I'm sure he'll get more money at a bigger club eventually, but to come out with shit like that - bang out of order

“When the bid was put in, I found out about 10pm the night before we played Eastleigh,” he told The Bolton News.

“I phoned my dad and he started laughing. He said ‘no chance’. And that was it.

“I wanted to show respect to Bristol City and it was great that they wanted me.

“But we made the decision 10 seconds after the offer went in. I wouldn’t have changed my mind.

“My dad has been a big influence on my career all the way back to being eight years old and picking Bolton instead of Manchester United.”

So out of 'respect' for us he came down here, wasting everyone's time when he'd already decided he was never signing. How respectful. 

I've got to say, I want Bolton relegated more than ever now! 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:
“When the bid was put in, I found out about 10pm the night before we played Eastleigh,” he told The Bolton News.

“But we made the decision 10 seconds after the offer went in. I wouldn’t have changed my mind.

“My dad has been a big influence on my career all the way back to being eight years old and picking Bolton instead of Manchester United.”

So out of 'respect' for us he came down here, wasting everyone's time when he'd already decided he was never signing. How respectful. 

And I will laugh my cock off, ten seconds after their bankruptcy is announced.

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

F@ck him. His loss. Will see how loyal he is when Bolton go down.

I'm not sure he will be too bothered from a playing point of view, he's now widely tipped to be sold to a bigger club in the Summer from what I read. He will get his move then, from a pick of clubs maybe, and in the meantime he is helping Bolton survive, or is trying too. 

If he really had no intention of moving I wish he just had the curtesy of telling us and not been disrespectful  by going through the mentions of being respectful. I guess it was all about drumming up interest from others that obviously didn't materialise.

Oh well, next...and I'm banking on Lee to have more 'luck' with our bids anyway. We shall see soon enough.

Stop getting your knickers in a ****ing twist about every bloody thing, will you? Ffs, all the wobbly-bottom-lip shite on the Rovers thrread because they might have some money behind them, now people getting upset about this.

If my lad was at City and Bolton came in for him, it would be a similar reaction. Having seen the clips of him on Saturday, he is far too good to be moving from one relegation threatened team to another. Not a problem.

Too many people on here broadcasting their insecurities on this and the Rovers shite. What you going to do, chuck a coin at him when they come here? Get a grip, pathetic.

Really unprofessional interview; makes me pleased he turned us down, as wouldn't want him to play for us for free now.

Shame such a big club is having to sell off their training set up, and I'd wager the advice his father is providing will change significantly if Bolton are left without a pot to piss in.

Will prove an interesting day for him; is hard to stay and play for your boyhood club if they don't exist.  Can't see him being one to go and play for any phoenix club for ten bob a game if they go under.

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Bit daft coming out with this a few weeks before he comes to Ashton Gate.

I'm sure we'll give Plug and his mates a warm West country welcome.

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Stop getting your knickers in a ****ing twist about every bloody thing, will you? Ffs, all the wobbly-bottom-lip shite on the Rovers thrread because they might have some money behind them, now people getting upset about this.

If my lad was at City and Bolton came in for him, it would be a similar reaction. Having seen the clips of him on Saturday, he is far too good to be moving from one relegation threatened team to another. Not a problem.

Too many people on here broadcasting their insecurities on this and the Rovers shite. What you going to do, chuck a coin at him when they come here? Get a grip, pathetic.

You're trying too hard.

Imagine the attitude of people on here if Bolton had come in and bid for Joe Bryan. And how pleased everyone would have been if JBs reaction was the same

He could be a bit more humble about it; but Cloughs decision is exactly the decision I would have told him to make in the circumstances

I suspect this decision to stay at Bolton isn't really about loyalty. It's about waiting until the summer when a couple of Premier League clubs come calling.

He then phrases it this way to cover this.  His dad said "no chance" not because he loves Bolton but because he needs his jewel to shine in the piss pot of Bolton's midfield - thus making him more obvious to the bigger clubs.

Annoying waste of time for SC.

I suspect LJ will find his summer dealings a tad bit easier than Cotterill did. I get the feeling that if the board 'like' the manager, money becomes a bit more available.

In theory, Mark Ashton and Burt should be doing the groundwork now, shortlisting players for survival or relegation. If we can mathematically ensure survival pretty much by April, that's a good amount of time for work to be done for bringing in championship quality players.

Tomlin on a permenant may well be one we're aiming for I think. I reckon Bournemouth will survive and he's fallen out with Howe big time there. We can ensure he's playing weekly, in his favoured position and for once, our geography might help; we're not that far from Bournemouth. 

33 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think we should just chant "Your dad's Boltonian" to Clough when they play us.  He won't get over the shame of it.

Bolton have a vastly superior record on the pitch, although our highest ever league finish is one better than their highest. Only ten years ago they finished 6th in the Prem, then played in Europe. Is it any surprise he thinks Bolton are bigger than us?

As for support, there's almost nothing in it, when comparing like with like, ie in same division. However, when we were both relegated from the 1st division in 1980, our support was significantly more loyal than theirs, by an average of 2,500 a week over that season.

What our support would be like given the success they have had while running up that £180m debt we can only guess.

19 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Imagine the attitude of people on here if Bolton had come in and bid for Joe Bryan. And how pleased everyone would have been if JBs reaction was the same

He could be a bit more humble about it; but Cloughs decision is exactly the decision I would have told him to make in the circumstances

No one (sensible) had any issues with his decision to stay at the club he's been with since a boy - but to claim you're being respectful and then come out about how you laughed about the offer and essentially completely wasted the club's time during the transfer window is bizarre. 

He said his mind was made up in 'seconds' yet they still travelled to Bristol, negotiated a contract etc when he knew he was not going to sign. Doesn't strike me as particularly respectful. 

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No one (sensible) had any issues with his decision to stay at the club he's been with since a boy - but to claim you're being respectful and then come out about how you laughed about the offer and essentially completely wasted the club's time during the transfer window is bizarre. 

He said his mind was made up in 'seconds' yet they still travelled to Bristol, negotiated a contract etc when he knew he was not going to sign. Doesn't strike me as particularly respectful. 

Completely agree, don't have an issue with what Clough said about the clubs, or him not wanting to join. Don't particularly care that he made his mind up in seconds. But going out of your way to waste a clubs time, and to laugh at them is not respectful by a long shot.

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

But probably not unheard of or uncommon in football. Football is not a particularly "respectful" sport at elite level, I find. Which might be why players are forced to show phoney "respect" before games by shaking hands. 

Archived