IGNORED

City Centre Backs - why?

Robbored

I must have seen dozens of centre backs playing for City over almost 50 years and I'm struggling to remember many who could actually bring the ball out of defence. Merrick was one and Caulker another but I can't think of many others.

Most had inflated opinions of their ability to accurately pass 50 odd yards yet persisted in trying it. Millen was just like that and tonight Flint wellies 4 long passes to absolutely no-one in a red shirt all the first half. I don't recal Brighton playing any long balls all game.

My question is why do they do it?

My theory is that they lack that one ingredient that sorts solid enough centre backs from those quality ones and that is "footballing intelligence".  Virtually all PL CBs have it in abundance and that's what makes them PL players.

7 minutes ago, Youngish said:

Ayling? Williams? We have two in our squad right now, and Flint is usually a decent passer. Quiet down. 

Flint is definitely not a decent passer of a ball when it has to travel more than 10 yards, people criticise Pack for long balls, but compared to Flint Marlon is world class.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So you ask for CBs who could bring the ball out, I give you one who played CB for the entire of last season, but somehow he doesn't count?! No wonder you can't think of any!

Could be that Ayling has traditionally been a right back and therefore used to carrying the ball out

The long balls are a concern and last night they were absolutely shocking.

Firstly, Freeman is not going to win anything in the air. Secondly, even if Kodjia won any of the balls aimed to him, no one is running in behind for him to flick it onto.

Last night is wasn't just Flint's poor attempts at a long ball, Pack was unusually of target most the night as well.

Put it down to a tired performance off the back of Saturday's game.

Anyone remember Glenn Humphries against Huddersfield 89ish? Went on a rampage, and the ball just seemed to stick to his foot, to be fair I don't many HT players got in his way for fear of being trampled. As I recall I think we were 3 or 4 up at the time and the whole crowd just came to life and the run just kept going

Loved that bloke

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I have never really been too bothered about ball playing centre backs. A lot of them are dodgy at the most important thing which is defending. And I can't really think of many big, dominating centre backs in the championship that are also really good passers of the ball. Maybe that Boro defender who is probably the best in the division. But generally, I think Flint does okay. Vilmos Sebok is the best I have seen down here, but blimey he really could not defend.

Sebok was very underated here ,he could dribble the ball out or hit long accurate passes all day long.

Top player.

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Golborne took the ball forward on at least three occasions tonight.

He had an examplary game on a night when many of our players were well below par.

Really looking forward to when we have Golbourne on one side and Ayling on the other.

As for Flint, he has his moments but I thought he was getting increasingly frustrated last night and booting the ball more to reflect this than anything else.

I have always said that the main difference between top players and average ones is not primarily about ability, but speed of thought, composure and pace.

I think most professional players have a pretty comprehensive range of skills, but some cannot apply it quickly enough or with the pace that allows them composure to be accurate.

Your average long ball centre back plays long balls because he cannot think quickly enough, or by physical speed, to use it in a useful way so he panics (lack of composure) and lumps it.  In lower league games, this is adequate because it removes the immediate danger, which is all the defender wants to do (and is usually instructed to do).  In top games, the tempo of the game is higher and more is demanded and so players who make it in the top flight are quick thinkers, pacey and calm under pressure.

Barcelona is a prime example of a team of quick thinking, pacey players who use that to control the game for long periods with quick accurate passing.  Most teams cannot get near them.

My opinion, anyway! :-)

46 minutes ago, RedM said:

Really looking forward to when we have Golbourne on one side and Ayling on the other.

As for Flint, he has his moments but I thought he was getting increasingly frustrated last night and booting the ball more to reflect this than anything else.

Felt sorry for Aden.  Was doing the work of three men. He looked shot by the end.

Archived