IGNORED

Is Steve Lansdown Being Realistic?

Jack Dawe

He has publicly said he wants us to be challenging at the top of the championship next season.

He has said we should be trying to sign the best players in L1 instead of chasing expensive quality like Gray etc.

And it is clear he wants our academy players given a chance in the first team.

Finally, Steve wants us to be "sustainable" and live within our means, whilst holding the Prem as an ultimate aim.

Can this be done? Does it all add up?

Yes, but it will require patience.

Whether patience plus the louder more emotional members of the Bristol City support are compatible is a different thing.

Basically he's saying he'd like us to reach our potential in 10 years without having to run the club into the ground in 20 years.  Common sense really.

It's probably not doable for next season, but gradual improvements in position over time and cementing a top end Championship club is doable. Then we should look to a Premiership challenge, it's to early, and to much pressure for the current team to put to high expectations on them.

10 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

To say it's not "realistic" is just wrong, we just played a team who were struggling massively last year. 

So, how did they transform themselves?

By promoting their youth, buying up the best of L1 and being prudent on wages?

9 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

To say it's not "realistic" is just wrong, we just played a team who were struggling massively last year. 

I think it's fair to say it is possible whilst also being unreasonable.

No but that could be me with low expectations. From the limited number of games I've seen, and from match reports I've read, we haven't been as bad as our league position would suggest. If we can keep the majority of this squad (and not move anyone out until better replacements are in) and get Baker in (unlikely  I think), as well as the obvious players that are needed, we could surprise a few people next season.

I would happily take survival this season - which I would have been happy with in the summer - and push on next season, and just keep building upon our short term goals. Financially we aren't going to compete with the relegated Prem clubs and higher Champ clubs, SL has basically said that by saying the club needs to sustain itself. I take that as I will put the money in, but don't expect 3 or 4 £4 million players signing next summer. 

What is needed is patience, and there are many on here and in general, that don't have much of this. We will not be an overnight success, and we will hit bumps in the road. So long as everyone is heading in the same direction, and the board aren't saying one thing to us and something else to LJ and behind the scenes, we can start heading in the right direction.

This season - Survival

Next - Mid table push

Followed by  playoff push

Followed by promotion push.

That's 4 years, including this season. If in 4 years time we can do that, I and probably many others will be happy. Anything extra quicker would be a bonus.

What is realistic are small, incremental improvements year on year.  If the likes of Burton Albion or Walsall are promoted this year, then (assuming we survive) we become a slightly bigger fish in the Championship pond.  Coupled with the completion of the stadium and hopefully improved attendances that go with it, that should enable to compete better next year.  A better finish next year and increased revenue streams then enable us to attract a slightly better quality player again the following season.  And so we move on from there.  Swansea are a great model for us.  They improved incrementally year-on-year while continuing to run a sustainable football club.  Only when they reached the Premier League itself did they spend sizeable amounts on players.  That said, with ever bigger parachute payments it has got even harder - but not impossible I don't think.  It needs shrewd management on and off the pitch, and a little bit of luck.

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

He has publicly said he wants us to be challenging at the top of the championship next season.

He has said we should be trying to sign the best players in L1 instead of chasing expensive quality like Gray etc.

Finally, Steve wants us to be "sustainable" and live within our means, whilst holding the Prem as an ultimate aim.

No he is not, in fact totally unrealistic. In my view we will be even worse off next year and another relegation battle will be had unless he stumps up the money to buy Baker and players of his calibre. Lansdown wont do it, but it wont be his fault of course and we'll have a nice shiny new stadium.

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What is realistic are small, incremental improvements year on year.  If the likes of Burton Albion or Walsall are promoted this year, then (assuming we survive) we become a slightly bigger fish in the Championship pond.  Coupled with the completion of the stadium and hopefully improved attendances that go with it, that should enable to compete better next year.  A better finish next year and increased revenue streams then enable us to attract a slightly better quality player again the following season.  And so we move on from there.  Swansea are a great model for us.  They improved incrementally year-on-year while continuing to run a sustainable football club.  Only when they reached the Premier League itself did they spend sizeable amounts on players.  That said, with ever bigger parachute payments it has got even harder - but not impossible I don't think.  It needs shrewd management on and off the pitch, and a little bit of luck.

But SL has said - his own words - he wants us challenging at the top next season. He said that, just before Christmas. That's not "incremental," that's transformation. Radical. A big step from where we are now. Steve's words, not mine.

15 minutes ago, frenchred said:

No he is not, in fact totally unrealistic. In my view we will be even worse off next year and another relegation battle will be had unless he stumps up the money to buy Baker and players of his calibre. Lansdown wont do it, but it wont be his fault of course and we'll have a nice shiny new stadium.

He won't stump up money? Like the £2m for Kodjia, £9m for Gray and £6m for Gayle?

i take his comments as the money is there but more reasonable players will be bought rather than spending all our budget on one player.

It's not possible all at the same time.

The following is possible (though perhaps not likely):

1. Sign good L1 players (AND a Championship journeyman or two)

2. Finish top half next season

3. Win promotion next season or the year after

4. Get relegated again

5. Bank money from Premiership season and use it to become "sustainable".

6. Put some academy players in the first team.

What probably can't be done is to become sustainable and competitive in the Championship before reaching the Premier league.

I think everything goes hand in hand!!

Better players on the pitch means better performances & results, which means better crowd figures, which means more money in the clubs coffers, which means a bigger budget for better players on the pitch, which means better performances & results on the pitch!!

You get the idea?.......

I personally don't think that Premiership football can be obtained by the end of next season but I would guess that if we manage to stay in the championship for next season, it will mean we will be in a better position to sign a better quality of player than this past season as we will be seen as a more stable "Championship" club & will have more funds in place too.

Promotion too soon would possibly be a bad thing too as we wouldn't have the correct infrastructure in place to give it a proper go & that would probably mean certain relegation back to the Championship but with all the money that would bring from a season in the Premiership & the subsequent parachute payments would probably mean we would be in a decent position to give it a proper go at promotion back to the Premiership but as we all know there are no guarantees in that happening!!

Of course, it is possible because you only have to look at Bournemouth, Bolton, Charlton, Coventry, Blackburn, Blackpool, Swindon, Portsmouth etc that have all made it to the "promised land" but I would prefer to know that we were actually ready as a club, rather than making it as a total fluke & then panicking once we're there!!

But I guess in this game beggars can't be choosers & if the opportunity arises, we'd have to take it & try to the best of the situation!!

34 minutes ago, grifty said:

He won't stump up money? Like the £2m for Kodjia, £9m for Gray and £6m for Gayle?

i take his comments as the money is there but more reasonable players will be bought rather than spending all our budget on one player.

Apologies I missed those signings, were they all injured last night except the cheapest one?

Take a leaf out of the Brighton book. Where were they 5-10 years ago with playing matches at an athletics stadium to now playing at a 30k stadium with large attendances? They have rich backers but so do we so a question I asked last night is why have they progressed faster than us with the owners being in charge during a less period than our owners?

Bad decisions have contributed along the way for us, along with the Ashton Vale fiasco, but I look at the Brighton footprint and any club and I mean any club with rich backers coming in could overhaul the club and shoot up the leagues.

Our progression has been slow, as mentioned the stadium situ at Ashton Vale hasn't helped but with potential for 20k plus attendances next season it could provide the spring board towards success in the coming season(s).

Regarding sustainability it will depend on how Bristol Sport x the redeveloped stadium performs. The operating costs of the FC will not be covered by attendances. 10000 season tickets at £500 each would not have paid for Andre Gray. How revenue will be divided by Bristol Sport x the redeveloped stadium between various bodies is not apparent.

So is Steve Lansdown being realistic? It is not possible to answer. Because only Mr Lansdown knows the fine detail of what he will do next with Bristol City FC.

I know a lot of people on here want SL to open his chequebook and splash the cash on some quality players.

However, quality players are hard to come by and would most probably be wanted by other clubs too. I think it's safe to say other clubs could probably offer a larger financial package, due to our wage structure etc. If we decide to compete with these other clubs and break our wage structure it is a very slippery slope IMO. It's easy to say go all out and spend £10/15/20 million on some quality players to get us promoted to the prem where parachute payments etc. are enormous.

This is a huge risk and if it goes wrong could potentiallty leave the club in ruins with overpaid players not performing happy to sit on the bench and collect their wages each week. At the moment we have a group of players who are young, hungry and passionate. I don't think we have anyone that I would consider deadwood, long past their best and earning big money that we are desperate to get rid off and slash the wage bill.

I think we should stick to our values and continue buying young, hungry players who will only get better, rather than gamble on some journeyman that couldn't care less what badge was on the shirt he wore, and didn't care where the club would be in 2-3 years time as he is looking to wind down into retirement, all reflected in his performances.

Just look at clubs like Swansea and Bournemouth. They are, in my opinion, the sort of clubs we should be using as a model to try and replicate.

So to sum up, we should continue to live within our means and look at younger players who are on the way up, rather than those older journeymen that are on their way down. We should not get tempted into splashing out big money and breaking wage structures that we couldn't afford without getting promoted to the premier league, as out of a possible 96 teams that will compete in the championship over the next 4 years, at least 84 of these won't make it.

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Would do you think Les Kew would make of it all Jack?!! 

I would rather see Lansdown say that promotion isn't attainable in the next five years, but that the club will spend any money necessary to stay in the division. Going forward, the board should then be judged on financials. Instead of the five pillars bollocks, he should focus his power on building our income.

I'm guessing the reason why Lansdown won't use debt to improve the team is because the club don't earn enough to make it sustainable. Other clubs can spend £5-10m on players because they make enough to handle the debts.

The thing is, what would happen if Bristol City were to make it into the Premier League at the end of next season? We'd be a disgrace. The players aren't good enough, the squad isn't big enough, and the academy isn't good enough to sustain a club at that level. We'd be the next Derby, and the fans would switch from watching a competitive team in the Championship to watching us get dominated by the likes of Chelsea and Man City.

I hope that the next time Lansdown says the words "Premier League" is either five years from now, or if we've actually made it.

6 minutes ago, grifty said:

I didn't say we'd signed them, just bid for them. The money was there.

I would say the whole package of money (transfer fees, agents fees, wages) were not there and that's why they never signed. Publicity stunt that made us look bloody stupid.

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

So, how did they transform themselves?

By promoting their youth, buying up the best of L1 and being prudent on wages?

Jack. None of the starting 11 for Brighton last night were signed from the Prem. 

1 came through their youth. 3 came from championship (2 of whom were not 'regulars' by any means). 2 came from league 1. 1 came from league 2. 1 came from Belgiums top league. 2 came from Spain's top league. 1 came from Scotland's top league. 

A team can be built by looking for quality in the lower leagues and supplementing it with a little more experience. 

For what it's worth, mr cotterills comment of "there's no good players in leagues 1 & 2" is made to look rather silly when you see Goldson playing for Brighton last night. He was at Shrewsbury last year. Looked decent enough to me. 

They've picked up lower league talent, out of favour champ players and been prudent with them. Then gone the little extra to bring overseas players with pedigree. 

They also have a larger budget to work with in terms of wages, having sold 27k for the past 4/5 years. 

Archived