IGNORED

Is Steve Lansdown Being Realistic?

Jack Dawe

20 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

What probably can't be done is to become sustainable and competitive in the Championship before reaching the Premier league.

Exactly that!  Premiership and League One maybe but the Championship is too full of parachute payments with very little extra income for teams in our position.

20 hours ago, WsM-Red said:

At the moment we have a group of players who are young, hungry and passionate. I don't think we have anyone that I would consider deadwood, long past their best and earning big money that we are desperate to get rid off and slash the wage bill.

We do have one that I would consider deadwood, Adam El Abd. 

He must be on a fair wedge too, as he joined us from a champ club on a long contract. Still got another year to run, hasn't it? 

As so many have already posted n this subject, it is possible that our future will be at the upper end of the Championship rather than eternally bouncing up and down to/from League One.

Whether we would be wise going too soon to the Prem is debatable; the parachute payment if relegated is the equivalent of staying up for a second season, is it not? Enough to help us have another go just like Burnley and Hull this season.

To build a solid foundation at the top end of this league, we need bigger attendances. We are averaging just over 15,000 with only three sides open but, more importantly, also being in the bottom 5/6 all season to date. With an attractive pricing policy next season, we should be able to average around 20,000 which would boost the income by approx 33%. We will be able to accomodate more away fans which will also help. However, 33% of our current gate receipts is not a massive sum - somewhere in the order of £2.5 to £3 million taking us to around £10 million. (These figures are my guesses at current and future gate receipts and may be more or less than actual)

Thus to achieve this scenario, we obviously have to stay up this year and build a more consistent success next year. We have to give supporters and especially the new ones, some hope and confidence that it is not another false dawn, otherwise gates will just start a gradual decline.

And from the Academy, we must get maybe two or three in to the first team squad each season and sell at least one each year for prices well in excess of £2 to 3 million.

Patience but well founded optimism is needed by supporters. Consistency on the pitch. Regular supply from the Academy. A big ask as it goes against the way the club has operated in the past with one good harvest usually followed by long fallow periods. Can it become reality?

@cidered aboroad SL, in a Post interview with Stockhausen, 23 Dec 2015, after referencing Norwich and their similar capacity, developed ground and number of season ticket holders, said: "If we had 27000 capacity I would look at our crowds always being above 20,000. Then we will have doubled the revenue we have benefitted from before and that means an extra seven or eight million quid."

So our budget might be something like double this year's, if we stay up. And if SL is right in looking at always having 20k crowds. But will all existing season ticket holders renew, never mind adding 3 or 4 thousand new ones, after this season?

The people in Norwich have enough faith in the people running their club to organise themselves well enough to quickly bounce back from relegations to the Champioonship, and even down to L1, so that it is worth keeping your season ticket. If they don't, the chances are they will miss out on a promotion to the Prem season and or Prem League football. It pays Norwich season ticket holders to be faithful: at some point, you will see Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea. Bristol City season ticket holders don't need to guarantee a seat because we're not over subscribed, and secondly, there isn't the same belief in the people that run the club, and the way that they run it. History informs that belief, or lack of it. Last summer compounded it. But let's hope that changes soon.

On 24 February 2016 at 10:20, CotswoldRed said:

It requires us to improve AG attendances significantly.  Unless revenue goes up significantly it won't happen when aligned with a sustainable approach and FFP.

I may be being naive here, but I got to thinking about FFP last night. How is it that Man City can suddenly spend megabucks on players when their revenue doesn't allow for it?

39 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I may be being naive here, but I got to thinking about FFP last night. How is it that Man City can suddenly spend megabucks on players when their revenue doesn't allow for it?

Creative accountancy + ability to suck up Uefa fines + threats of legal action over transfer embargoes etc

Basically,  by being rich.

4 hours ago, Kezman said:

We do have one that I would consider deadwood, Adam El Abd. 

He must be on a fair wedge too, as he joined us from a champ club on a long contract. Still got another year to run, hasn't it? 

Yes how could I forget about El Bad. He's got another year and a half I think, signed in Jan 2014 for 3 1/2 years.

22 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

In the fluffy world I live in (much better than the real one by the way...) it just seems that Southampton, Swansea and Leicester came back from div 3 (and below) to be established premier league clubs without ruining their financial futures....surely it can be done in a low key sensible way then?!

No, but they ruined a lot of other peoples financial futures.............

Archived