IGNORED

Match Highlights

Fiale

2 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Forgot how good their second goal was. Class team all round.

Yeah it was a well worked goal that you don't always appreciate when you see it live. 

Poor Vyner was at fault for two other goals. I really hope he's not demoralised by it and phoned the Samaritans when he got home.   

Its a learning process for him after all.

11 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Whoever it was holding Vyner solely responsible for all of the first three goals might like to have a watch of this.

Certainly the second wasn't his fault, I don't really think that was anyone in particular fault, but the first and third were undoubtedly his which I hope he can dust himself and recover from.

Was great to hear that he got clapped off when subbed though, touch of class by the fans. 

4 minutes ago, pigeon said:

Certainly the second wasn't his fault, I don't really think that was anyone in particular fault, but the first and third were undoubtedly his which I hope he can dust himself and recover from.

Was great to hear that he got clapped off when subbed though, touch of class by the fans. 

I don't agree watching that back. I've got to ask why Pack doesn't attempt to block it (As someone who defended him earlier in the season I'm allowed to aim a little criticism :ph34r:) and also where the hell was Pearce going? He seems to come running out to the edge of the box and then just keep running out of the way!! Good build up by Brighton but surely one of them could of got in the way of the shot? Or is it just the angle of the camera?

I don't like to comment on the overall performance when I'm not at a game- but it looks to me as if all 3 goals were more than avoidable from that video.

2 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I don't agree watching that back. I've got to ask why Pack doesn't attempt to block it (As someone who defended him earlier in the season I'm allowed to aim a little criticism :ph34r:) and also where the hell was Pearce going? He seems to come running out to the edge of the box and then just keep running out of the way!! Good build up by Brighton but surely one of them could of got in the way of the shot? Or is it just the angle of the camera?

I don't like to comment on the overall performance when I'm not at a game- but it looks to me as if all 3 goals were more than avoidable from that video.

Wondering what Pearce was doing for the first as well !

I think Vyner is getting way too much flack for these goals and not enough credit given to Brighton for some well worked goals.

The so called mistakes by Vyner could have happened to a season pro as well...Fontaine anyone?

Granted his chest control could have been better...but a poor pass by the keeper led to it...and Brighton harried well.

The third goal was a cracking defence splitting through ball that could have happened to Little and Ayling as well.

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

Whoever it was holding Vyner solely responsible for all of the first three goals might like to have a watch of this.

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think Vyner is getting way too much flack for these goals and not enough credit given to Brighton for some well worked goals.

The so called mistakes by Vyner could have happened to a season pro as well...Fontaine anyone?

Granted his chest control could have been better...but a poor pass by the keeper led to it...and Brighton harried well.

The third goal was a cracking defence splitting through ball that could have happened to Little and Ayling as well.

Agree with both of you here. Yes Vyner made mistakes for both goals, but there were collective failings as well: for the first goal there was precious little cover behind him and for the third we allowed their player who made the final pass to have too much room.

Also the defending for the fourth goal was criminal with their player having a free header.

I am not one for putting individual players down as its a team game and we win or lose as a team.

My main concern about last night was that it was clear from 10mins in that Brighton was targeting Vyner, their keeper would place the ball down on his right hand side of the 6 yard box and he would kick his goal kick across to the left side where Murphy was alone with Vyner. Not only was he doing this for goal kicks he was also doing it ball from hand and free kicks, this happened many many times throughout the game and not once did the management or players do anything to rectify this situation.

If you are going to play kids in defence you need to help and protect them or you pay the price as we did last night!

Might have been unwise to play Vyner when Baker is out, so we have 2 out of 4 new players in defence.  Thought Pearce and O'Donnell were more at fault for the first than Vyner. Pearce was too slow with his back pass to O'Donnell, then instead of getting the ball  well up the pitch when we are under pressure O'Donnell tries the wrong over-ambitious ball in the air to Vyner who is already marked. The pass is poorly executed and Brighton are in on goal.

Thought O'Donnell could have done better on the second.

Vyner is wrong-footed on the third.

One of those duff nights unfortunately. 

We'll be okay when Ayling and Baker are back.

56 minutes ago, yardy said:

I am not one for putting individual players down as its a team game and we win or lose as a team.

My main concern about last night was that it was clear from 10mins in that Brighton was targeting Vyner, their keeper would place the ball down on his right hand side of the 6 yard box and he would kick his goal kick across to the left side where Murphy was alone with Vyner. Not only was he doing this for goal kicks he was also doing it ball from hand and free kicks, this happened many many times throughout the game and not once did the management or players do anything to rectify this situation.

If you are going to play kids in defence you need to help and protect them or you pay the price as we did last night!

And how many of the goals came from their keeper kicking it to Vyner's side?

5 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

And how many of the goals came from their keeper kicking it to Vyner's side?

None, but my point was that Brighton 9/10 would attack our right side of defence and this was often started by their goalkeeper switching play from goal kicks, picking on our young inexperienced defender. 

I don't think there was much between the two sides in the first half, Golbourne and Bryan hardly had any defending to do because they was targeting our right side of defence. We got punished for making some mistakes and all four of their goals came from attacking down their left.

I'm going to give Brighton credit. They pressed, forced a couple mistakes and were clinical. We had 2 of 4 defenders out and it showed. We had some decent chances and on another night it's 2-1 or 2-2. Im not too worried. We were never going to win the rest of our matches and we done more than well enough in the previous 3 to lose to a top 6 team. As long as Baker and Ayling make it back soon, we will be well on our way to safety again.

2 hours ago, yardy said:

Brighton certainly did there homework on the lad.

I see nothing wrong with ROD's pass to ZV for the first. 

ZV has lots of options. Head back to Flint (who's made himself free and is gesturing for it) , pass back to Flint, or even smash it out or upfield if he felt under pressure. He's tried to take it down and made a mistake. Not nearly as much time at this level and as we all know mistakes get punished. Their player does very well to hold Flint off and play the flick that opens it all up. That's just good play.

The second is a great finish. Not too sure how they've found space as it looks like we're back in numbers. It happens. 

Third is a wrong footing by ZV, but not much cover on offer. His head was probably already half gone. Arguably he shouldn't have been on the pitch.

Fourth is a colossal mess. Terrible free kick which has looped over everyone with nothing on it. Pearce and Little need to call that and one of them needs to deal with it. Awful awful defending. If in doubt, put it out. 

The less said about the penalty the better. Tomlin understandably annoyed. I really hope this doesn't cause any friction in the dressing room. 

Onwards and upwards. They are a very good side. With Ayling and Baker in the team, and Tomlin on penalty duty the game could have been completely different. Take 2 regulars out of any back 4, throw in a player who's hardly played and another who's never played and I'm sure most teams would struggle. 

On to Forest we go. Will learn a lot about the team and LJ from our reaction Saturday

Archived