IGNORED

Decision vindicated?

SedRA

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I know it's still early doors...but I truly believe LJ will be a good head coach for us long term....always have done.

Since SC left, JP, WA and LJ have shown we have the players to compete in this league.

LJ hasn't tinkered too much with what JP and WA brought in straight away.

We are now running along the lines of a proper football club...astounding results when you consider the injuries and how small the squad is.

We still play attractive football...but know when and how to defend now. We make astute Substitutions and make the whole Club feel as one...long may this continue.

Add a few more quality players, and get some consistent performances going from certain players and we could be a force for play offs next season imo.

Also, all those rumours about JP being off to another club seem to have disappeared so it`s all good.

Can people please not start the whole "push for the play offs next season" expectations..!

Im not saying it can't/won't happen but the added pressure of expectation of anything more than push-up top half next season is jumping the gun a bit after the challenges of this season. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I know it's still early doors...but I truly believe LJ will be a good head coach for us long term....always have done.

Since SC left, JP, WA and LJ have shown we have the players to compete in this league.

LJ hasn't tinkered too much with what JP and WA brought in straight away.

We are now running along the lines of a proper football club...astounding results when you consider the injuries and how small the squad is.

We still play attractive football...but know when and how to defend now. We make astute Substitutions and make the whole Club feel as one...long may this continue.

Add a few more quality players, and get some consistent performances going from certain players and we could be a force for play offs next season imo.

I take it that WA should be WE?

22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Can people please not start the whole "push for the play offs next season" expectations..!

Im not saying it can't/won't happen but the added pressure of expectation of anything more than push-up top half next season is jumping the gun a bit after the challenges of this season. 

I understand your sentiment about 'expectation'...but I expected us to push for a play off place this season with the players we have.

If we had changed our system...I really don't see why we couldn't have.

Preston are pushing...and imo have a far inferior team.

I'm honestly being realistic in this analysis.

This league is full of teams that stagnate...the first couple seasons can often be the seasons to make a move.

SC did a fantastic job last year, this year he had been  little short of inept. Unwilling to change and oblivious to problems. The big thing I didn't understand is why he took no notice of the man appointed to be his assistant. As soon as Pembo was put in charge , a couple of changes made a massive difference. SC must have been so  bloody minded and set on his way, he couldn't see what was happening.

I would have thought with defeat following defeat, he had to realise change was needed , but no. Week in week out same old same old, fair play to the powers that be (timing could have been better) , change was made in time (yes I know nothings sorted yet but now we have a real chance of staying up ). Perhaps we are entering a weird era of correct decisions at boardroom level :fingerscrossed:

26 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

really tightened up as a team since cotts left and we needed to as from that table only two teams have scored less than us. 

Funny that we have a +1 GD yet have picked up 16 points in the period. Obviously largely down to the Brighton game but still quite strange. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

They don't have playoffs in the Premier League??? :D

36 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Funny that we have a +1 GD yet have picked up 16 points in the period. Obviously largely down to the Brighton game but still quite strange. 

If you look at Blackburn who have the same points as us...they have a +1 GD

In fact only 10 teams are in a negative.

Of which only 5 including us are in negative double figures...In fact all 5 teams over -20. The next nearest is -5. A massive difference.

If you look at the teams between 7th and 18th... -5 to +7 is the difference...hardly anything.

If you look at League positions over the seasons...GD's give a pretty good indication of where you will end up.

We were in free fall under SC.

Shame we had that blip against Brighton...but playing two new defenders didn't help.

Glad Baker was back today...really hope we can buy him.

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Just like with o'driscal the board have got it spot on with their timing in sacking cotts

when Johnson will go on and do great things here it's too early to say,

his first transfer window will be interesting but one thing he seems to do is improve players

The Board got the timing right?  Really??  How do you know that if they'd sacked Cotterill in November we wouldn't be challenging for the play-offs now?  I'm pleased we've started to turn things round, but Cotterill should have gone way earlier.

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The Board got the timing right?  Really??  How do you know that if they'd sacked Cotterill in November we wouldn't be challenging for the play-offs now?  I'm pleased we've started to turn things round, but Cotterill should have gone way earlier.

Totally agree, i wanted him gone in November simply because he was too pig headed to change anything and i couldn't see how we were going to get out of trouble. IMO and i know it's immaterial now but if he was still here we would be bottom.

Lets be thankful though for last season and move on .  

It's not always easy to sack one manager and bring in another.

Maybe the timing didn't seem right...but if SL really wanted LJ, we have no idea what was in his contract.

It's easy to bring in a manager out of contract, but much more difficult when they are already in a job.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good point well made . Gary Johnson is our king

11 hours ago, spudski said:

If you look at Blackburn who have the same points as us...they have a +1 GD

In fact only 10 teams are in a negative.

Of which only 5 including us are in negative double figures...In fact all 5 teams over -20. The next nearest is -5. A massive difference.

If you look at the teams between 7th and 18th... -5 to +7 is the difference...hardly anything.

If you look at League positions over the seasons...GD's give a pretty good indication of where you will end up.

We were in free fall under SC.

Shame we had that blip against Brighton...but playing two new defenders didn't help.

Glad Baker was back today...really hope we can buy him.

We've conceded 4 goals 6 times which largely is why we're -22! and not won a game by more than a two goal margin - infact I don't think we've scored three goals in a game yet? 

I was one of SC's biggest fans but I'm afraid he had to go, his stubbornness in sticking with a system that was a disaster in this division was his downfall, now we are 4 at the back with proper defenders in Baker and Goldbourne we look more able to win games to nil which was very unlikely under SC, will always have the upmost appreciation for SC after last years unbelievable season, hope he gets a wonderful reception should he ever return to AG with another team

26 minutes ago, harrys said:

I was one of SC's biggest fans but I'm afraid he had to go, his stubbornness in sticking with a system that was a disaster in this division was his downfall, now we are 4 at the back with proper defenders in Baker and Goldbourne we look more able to win games to nil which was very unlikely under SC, will always have the upmost appreciation for SC after last years unbelievable season, hope he gets a wonderful reception should he ever return to AG with another team

Thinks that's a fair shout.  I think we may have stayed up....just, but under JP, WE & LJ and 4 at the back it looks like we can push towards lower mid table, and safety well before our final game.

Sometimes you need to make a change....and this time (and last time) it has worked.

I think Cotts should have been given more time. He deserved it.

what the board basically have now said is, regardless of performance, you've got a 4-5 months and that's it. 

I don't agree with shortermism in football, and the fact that everything that happens from now on is just another tool to bash cotterill with. It's not fair on a man that brought some fantastic times to this club.

anyway hopefully LJ gets the time to do something that Cotts wasn't afforded.

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

what the board basically have now said is, regardless of performance, you've got a 4-5 months and that's it. 

I don't agree with shortermism in football, and the fact that everything that happens from now on is just another tool to bash cotterill with. It's not fair on a man that brought some fantastic times to this club.

More time? We've won more games Since he left than in 26 before that! We would be where Bolton are now with cotts still in charge, Imo he was given 2 months too long.

3 minutes ago, Cider red said:

More time? We've won more games Since he left than in 26 before that! We would be where Bolton are now with cotts still in charge, Imo he was given 2 months too long.

Yes more time. So if LJ wins the championship next season, and we are hovering around the relegation zone of the premier league that Christmas, do we sack him as well?

10 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I understand the sentiment but you have to look at the context. 

We don't know for sure, but it seems pretty apparent that SC and the board were at odds for whatever reason and it didn't look like it was going to be resolved. That's not healthy for either party and had dragged us into a relegation fight that we didn't look like getting out of. 

I'm sure if the relationship between the board and SC had still been strong, they would have given him more time. But I also feel that if that had been the case, we probably wouldn't have been in the situation in the first place. 

Keeping SC in the job purely because you're against shortermism, despite the situation having turned sour, would have been naive in this case, I feel. 

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Yes more time. So if LJ wins the championship next season, and we are hovering around the relegation zone of the premier league that Christmas, do we sack him as well?

Yes. Some managers have a limit to their competence. The different challenges different leagues present mean in helming a club you pick horses for courses.

The disappointment of being relegated after just one season in the second tier and the prospect of a mass exodus of last year's winners and watching games in a lovely new stadium with two-thirds of the seats empty would be too much for lots of us to bear. The board had to act to try to prevent such a disaster. 

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes. Some managers have a limit to their competence. The different challenges different leagues present mean in helming a club you pick horses for courses.

The disappointment of being relegated after just one season in the second tier and the prospect of a mass exodus of last year's winners and watching games in a lovely new stadium with two-thirds of the seats empty would be too much for lots of us to bear. The board had to act to try to prevent such a disaster. 

I would again say it depends on the context of what is happening at the time. 

Are we improving? Are the right moves being made to progress us? Are there certain negative patterns of play/strategy that aren't being addressed? Are the team still with the him? Are the fans still with him? Is the relationship with the board good? The list goes on....

Just having a rule of 'I'm against shortermism so will stick with a manager regardless' or 'if the results aren't good then get him out' is too simplistic a view in my eyes. If its purely that performances aren't quite right/bad luck etc but lots of other things are in good shape then yes, I agree you should back the manager (although there could be caveats to that also). I'm not convinced that was the case with SC unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Completely vindicated, after the game on Tuesday it was so nice to hear our manger not respond to every question with an awkward silence.

This is true, though the same dimwit, (Ed Hadwin is it?) asked the questions in a such a hushed manner it's as though someone had just lost a loved one, or he is still terrified of the response following a bit of a thumping!

Archived