IGNORED

Decision vindicated?

SedRA

I agree. Last season was the most fun since the play-off season and before that my student days. But it wasn't working anymore. I am perfectly happy with Lee Johnson. Now if the players pass around him it won't matter either. 

I was trying to create my own form table - can i ask where you found this easy sort option

Yes to an extent; we're picking up points and playing well. 

We also have invested more in the squad since his departure - so it's difficult to compare like-for-like.

3-5-2 was ultimately one of the faults of this season under SC but there were bigger issues of recruitment, which LJ & JP have been lucky enough to avoid, which were a major downfall & beyond his control.

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Yes to an extent; we're picking up points and playing well. 

We also have invested more in the squad since his departure - so it's difficult to compare like-for-like.

3-5-2 was ultimately one of the faults of this season under SC but there were bigger issues of recruitment, which LJ & JP have been lucky enough to avoid, which were a major downfall & beyond his control.

Or maybe more realistic targets were sought in the first place 

2 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Yeah because we were only after Gayle, Clough and Gray :facepalm:

Pearce was already lined up to come in. Cotterill was expecting to complete the paperwork that week, before he was told about being sacked.

It's his tough shit he never got the players in - it's his problem he would not go to a 4 at the back and that's what cost him his job

It was the timing of the decision, rather than the decision itself, that concerned me most. I thought removing someone midway through the transfer window was as risky as sticking with Cotterill. At any other time, sacking someone after 4 wins in 28 would have been almost a no-brainer.

Thrilled that we managed to recruit relatively well in January despite everything - and you have to say on current evidence it was the right call from the board.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many clubs anticipate results improving when they appoint a new manager. The well known "honeymoon" period. That exactly what's happened since SC was sacked.

The change of formation was implemented by Pemberton immediately he and Elliot were able to.

I`d say the honeymoon has been and gone now. We`ve flown home, done the washing and have been back at work a week. Still winning though.

I wanted SC to stay, but I also wanted the battle going on with the board to stop.  Think Cotts was being petty at the end, and although I had sympathy for him, I think he backed himself into a corner.  It's a shame really, especially after the previous 2 years.

The turnaround has however been amazing.  Well done Pembo and Wade and then Lee for giving us a launchpad for a a comfortable run in.

Just like with o'driscal the board have got it spot on with their timing in sacking cotts

when Johnson will go on and do great things here it's too early to say,

his first transfer window will be interesting but one thing he seems to do is improve players

45 minutes ago, fairweather said:

I agree. Last season was the most fun since the play-off season and before that my student days. But it wasn't working anymore. I am perfectly happy with Lee Johnson. Now if the players pass around him it won't matter either. 

I was trying to create my own form table - can i ask where you found this easy sort option

Here:-

http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/form/eight

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wanted SC to stay, but I also wanted the battle going on with the board to stop.  Think Cotts was being petty at the end, and although I had sympathy for him, I think he backed himself into a corner.  It's a shame really, especially after the previous 2 years.

The turnaround has however been amazing.  Well done Pembo and Wade and then Lee for giving us a launchpad for a a comfortable run in.

Yeah, that's where I was at. I felt bad for Cotts, but like you say he'd backed himself into a corner and there were major bad vibes coming from the club. I did feel a sense of relief when he left and it was very refreshing to see the line up/formation in the Boro game straight after he'd gone. 

I don't think many would have predicted quite such a turnaround though! 

31 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`d say the honeymoon has been and gone now. We`ve flown home, done the washing and have been back at work a week. Still winning though.

Sex once a month, birthdays and Christmas and the in laws for a meal every few weeks.

Poor Lee!

100%. Cotts was the master of his own downfall. Flint said on the radio switch to back four has meant we can stay in games and compete, if cotts had done that he would be here. Was too busy trying to make a point , happy to take us Dow in the process. That in itself was unforgivable. Johnson will help progress us with flexible management. Fingers crossed!

8 minutes ago, Cider red said:

100%. Cotts was the master of his own downfall. Flint said on the radio switch to back four has meant we can stay in games and compete, if cotts had done that he would be here. Was too busy trying to make a point , happy to take us Dow in the process. That in itself was unforgivable. Johnson will help progress us with flexible management. Fingers crossed!

Yep, have to say in the end Cotts was indeed the master of his own downfall, his crass stubbornness with regard to formation, not using subs to try and changes things, not using the wider squad and considering u-21s, not selecting full subs benches. That said if the board had not screwed up the early summer signings of Gray & McGuire, Cotts may well have had us challenging for a play-off place. Ultimately though his style was never going to give the club sustainable success.

Whether LJ is the right choice who knows, but if he can keep delivering 3 wins out of 4 all the doubters (me included) will be won over. 

Too bloody right. Last season was superb. This one - until a few weeks ago it was anything but.

I'm glad SC was here. I'm delighted he's not now. With him we were only going in one direction. 

With LJ I genuinely feel that good times are ahead. Might be proved wrong, but at least we've now seen what it's like to win, and play some far better football.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Many clubs anticipate results improving when they appoint a new manager. The well known "honeymoon" period. That exactly what's happened since SC was sacked.

The change of formation was implemented by Pemberton immediately he and Elliot were able to.

A honeymoon period is usually the result of frustrated, unhappy, disillusioned players having the negativity lifted and being able to express themselves freely again, without any real changes or improvements. That's why they don't usually last. 

I don't think our players ever felt that way with SC but tactical changes coupled with a couple of additions with experience at this level have brought about a tangible improvement that can hopefully last and be built upon. 

I know it's still early doors...but I truly believe LJ will be a good head coach for us long term....always have done.

Since SC left, JP, WA and LJ have shown we have the players to compete in this league.

LJ hasn't tinkered too much with what JP and WA brought in straight away.

We are now running along the lines of a proper football club...astounding results when you consider the injuries and how small the squad is.

We still play attractive football...but know when and how to defend now. We make astute Substitutions and make the whole Club feel as one...long may this continue.

Add a few more quality players, and get some consistent performances going from certain players and we could be a force for play offs next season imo.

Archived