IGNORED

anyone name this match?

poland_exile

so on a stadium page I'm on, someone posted this pic of AG. any idea of the match? city v rovers has been bandied around, a few others discounted, but nothing definite. i think it's quite a famous pic, so apologies in advance if anyone gets this straight away. it's doing my head in... 

12066045_10153172020052514_6437084949795168380_n.jpg

7 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

I do miss those floodlights!

Proper floodlights. A relic of football last, don't think I can think of many grounds with that style anymore. Think we flogged them off to Wigan didn't we? 

1 minute ago, Reigate Red said:

Stop...I'm starting to get irrationally emotional

Think of the quality of the east end toilets back in the day.... Nostalgia isn't always good ;)

5 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Proper floodlights. A relic of football last, don't think I can think of many grounds with that style anymore. Think we flogged them off to Wigan didn't we? 

Gave them away. Wigan had to dismantle them and take them away. The cost of doing this was probably just about what they were worth. 

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Gave them away. Wigan had to dismantle them and take them away. The cost of doing this was probably just about what they were worth. 

was it the end of 90/91 they went? assuming so once the williams and east end went seated? 

1 minute ago, poland_exile said:

was it the end of 90/91 they went? assuming so once the williams and east end went seated? 

Yes it was when they extended the roof of the Williams to cover the family enclosure. I think it may have been end of 91/92 tho 

3 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Fair point...I now feel slightly ill. This forum is an emotional rollercoaster :P

as a young kid standing behind the goal some of those smells were both revelationary and revolting - the sweat, smoke, and people's arses going like they'd just had eight ciders and a vindaloo. blimey, knocked me sideways. In hindsight, my bedroom smells worse than the east end now mind. 

Great picture - taken from the part of the ground where I sat with my Dad when he started taking me to games. I used to really like those floodlights. The angle on them made them very distinctive.

Not sure which game is in the picture but the 1990 West Ham one is a good shout.

Archived