IGNORED

anyone name this match?

poland_exile

Remember the game 1-1 and pretty sure Nicky Morgan equalised from a corner.

We had a good start after promotion but had had a couple of heavy away defeats leading up to this Leicester 0-3 and Wolves 0-4 so it was good to get a decent result.

Actually had a good season and only missed out on the playoffs by 3 points.

14 hours ago, Brian mccluskey said:

Defo west ham

i was there in the park end

goodnite!

1 hour ago, marmite said:

If it helps to identify the year of that match there were still flags on the halfway line. When were they done away with?

Oh yeah.... I forgot they had ditched those. thems were the days; re-enacted at Christmas with Subbuteo.

So after dozens of posts we still do not know the match or year or result then?!

17 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Oh yeah.... I forgot they had ditched those. thems were the days; re-enacted at Christmas with Subbuteo.

So after dozens of posts we still do not know the match or year or result then?!

think Archie is being very convincing on the West Ham game, veering towards that - but not resting till it's proven as fact. doing my noggin in :grr:

1 hour ago, chowie said:

No idea what game, but the picture is taken from the Junior Reds block from that time.

totally forgot that's where the Junior Reds would sit! I think, I might be wrong, when we played Millwall in 91 (lost 4-1, with a sheringham hattrick that pretty much guaranteed we wouldn't get into the play-offs), there was also Junior Lions in there with the the Junior Reds? The memory is buggered now, but I'm certain that at one stage the wall kids were singing away at which point the east end came back with 'you only sing in assembly' :D remembering how violent that game was, am surprised the Junior Lions weren't murdered!

The West Ham game in 90 is a good shout. Remember that game and Morgan's equalizer, before that McAvenie scored, his stunning perm bouncing around as he celebrated.

I knew this game was about the early 90's immediately. The dead giveraway was that steel-clad tower by the Hirerite sheds standing in the background. I remember that structure going up around that time.

4 minutes ago, OneCity said:

The West Ham game in 90 is a good shout. Remember that game and Morgan's equalizer, before that McAvenie scored, his stunning perm bouncing around as he celebrated.

I knew this game was about the early 90's immediately. The dead giveraway was that steel-clad tower by the Hirerite sheds standing in the background. I remember that structure going up around that time.

Also the Leo's advertising on top the east end. Really was an 80's/90's shop.

4 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Tue 28 Dec 1966,  Bristol City 0 - 1 Wolves (Second Division)

The first game played under those lights.

Always remember getting in the ground and thinking "Christ aren't they bright" (after the little lamp posts that were there before).

Then just before kick-off they turned them up another notch and it was almost blinding, or so it seemed!!!

1965 it was, not 1966.

16 hours ago, poland_exile said:

so on a stadium page I'm on, someone posted this pic of AG. any idea of the match? city v rovers has been bandied around, a few others discounted, but nothing definite. i think it's quite a famous pic, so apologies in advance if anyone gets this straight away. it's doing my head in... 

12066045_10153172020052514_6437084949795168380_n.jpg

I can confirm what this game is...it's taken from Getty Images...it contains the below credit.

General view of Ashton Gate during the League Division Two match between Bristol City and West Ham United in Bristol, England. The match ended in a 1-1 draw. \ Mandatory Credit: David Cannon /Allsport Show more

16 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:
17 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I would have been just to the right of the tunnel ( as you look at it) up at the back against the wall .

What, by "Jack"? I never knew him but heard him at every home match! ("Get that bloody Feary off")

I would have been standing to your left (as you would have looked at the pitch) and down a few steps,standing in front of a barrier.

Small world....... I was the other side of the tunnel wall to yous two.  Can't recall either a rakish looking beardy ole bloke or someone with a gurt big cowboy  hat on, though.  Funny how the mind lets one down over the years.

27 minutes ago, jackofromrugby said:

Small world....... I was the other side of the tunnel wall to yous two.  Can't recall either a rakish looking beardy ole bloke or someone with a gurt big cowboy  hat on, though.  Funny how the mind lets one down over the years.

We were what you would now call "singers" (I ****** hate that term) Though we would have more preferred the term Enclosure Mob, you know, keeping the territory away-fan free !:cool:

1 hour ago, jackofromrugby said:

I do however remember a monocled type in the enclosure (not, though in the section where Slarti and I were vital cogs in the Enclosure Crew). This guy was a real dandy who would wear a stiffly starched white shirt with a frock coat, on the back of which was emblazoned in red paint - "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough". I was never truly sure of the intended meaning of this message.

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

An interesting thread, and thanks for the introduction to the photographs - not only a different era, but almost a different world.

But. Why were we playing with an 11H30 kick-off?

Surely the miners' strike and three day week had finished by then?

I presume the early kick off was the same reason tomorrow's game is, to avoid trouble.

there were a number of incidents including a stabbing in this fixture in the 80's, this may have been the first time we'd played them for a while and so no chances were taken. 

13 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I do however remember a monocled type in the enclosure (not, though in the section where Slarti and I were vital cogs in the Enclosure Crew). This guy was a real dandy who would wear a stiffly starched white shirt with a frock coat, on the back of which was emblazoned in red paint - "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough". I was never truly sure of the intended meaning of this message.

Ah that, on my frock coat, was a direct quote from the two girls on the cup special to Wolves back in '73.  The monocle is a result of remembering the same two ladies for years after.  Should have listened to my mum's advice I suppose. Still........ 

Archived