IGNORED

anyone name this match?

poland_exile

2 hours ago, poland_exile said:

was one of the matches mentioned, but the time we played Man Utd the Williams and East End were already seated

No seats in East End or Enclosure back in the First Division days. The seats were put in around 1991/92.

This is a match in the First Division between 1976 and 1980. It is an early season match because the pitch is green all over. No wear in the goalmouths. There is segregation in the Open End. I think that segregation did not start until around 1977/78.

The sun is directly behind the Atyeo, hence the shadows of the advert on top of Shed, so it possibly an early kick off match at around mid-day. (Having taken some time to compose this, I have now seen other posts and if the W Ham game was a late morning kick off, then it is that match).

Sept 18 1976 drawn 1-1. Or Sept 1977 won 3-2. I cannot remember why we would have such an early kick off.

It is definitely not a game against BRFC. I don't think it is W Ham as their change colours were usually all sky blue. Liverpool used to wear white socks with white shirts/black shorts whereas Man U normally wore their traditional black socks with white shirts/black shorts. Similar away kits for Stoke City, Nottingham Forest, Sunderland? Derby County or Bolton?

Possible games are:

Sept 1976 v Sunderland / Sept 1978 Southampton / Oct 1978 Forest / Sept 1979  Stoke C, Forest

I am in the fourth row back from front of Dolman with family but cannot identify us due to lack of definition as camera is just behind and focussed on the pitch.

44 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I would have been just to the right of the tunnel ( as you look at it) up at the back against the wall .

What, by "Jack"? I never knew him but heard him at every home match! ("Get that bloody Feary off")

I would have been standing to your left (as you would have looked at the pitch) and down a few steps,standing in front of a barrier.

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

No seats in East End or Enclosure back in the First Division days. The seats were put in around 1991/92.

This is a match in the First Division between 1976 and 1980. It is an early season match because the pitch is green all over. No wear in the goalmouths. There is segregation in the Open End. I think that segregation did not start until around 1977/78.

The sun is directly behind the Atyeo, hence the shadows of the advert on top of Shed, so it possibly an early kick off match at around mid-day. (Having taken some time to compose this, I have now seen other posts and if the W Ham game was a late morning kick off, then it is that match).

Sept 18 1976 drawn 1-1. Or Sept 1977 won 3-2. I cannot remember why we would have such an early kick off.

It is definitely not a game against BRFC. I don't think it is W Ham as their change colours were usually all sky blue. Liverpool used to wear white socks with white shirts/black shorts whereas Man U normally wore their traditional black socks with white shirts/black shorts. Similar away kits for Stoke City, Nottingham Forest, Sunderland? Derby County or Bolton?

Possible games are:

Sept 1976 v Sunderland / Sept 1978 Southampton / Oct 1978 Forest / Sept 1979  Stoke C, Forest

I am in the fourth row back from front of Dolman with family but cannot identify us due to lack of definition as camera is just behind and focussed on the pitch.

its v west ham and was their away colours at that time

Definitely looking like the West Ham game 1990 for reasons postulated earlier by others. We didn't have a red roof on East End in the 1970s plus, I believe the high fences penning in the Open End were taken down straight after the Hillsborough tragedy of 1989, the fences don't appear to be in the photo so points to post 1989.

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Possible games are:

A simple "I don't know" would have sufficed. 

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Possible games are:

yep, i was showing my young age - I was thinking the reference to Man Utd was the friendly we played against them in 93 or something. 

11 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

I do miss those floodlights!

Tue 28 Dec 1966,  Bristol City 0 - 1 Wolves (Second Division)

The first game played under those lights.

Always remember getting in the ground and thinking "Christ aren't they bright" (after the little lamp posts that were there before).

Then just before kick-off they turned them up another notch and it was almost blinding, or so it seemed!!!

27 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Tue 28 Dec 1966,  Bristol City 0 - 1 Wolves (Second Division)

The first game played under those lights.

Always remember getting in the ground and thinking "Christ aren't they bright" (after the little lamp posts that were there before).

Then just before kick-off they turned them up another notch and it was almost blinding, or so it seemed!!!

I was there for that one. Lost 0-1. Previous day was at Molineux where we drew.

And the first ever floodlit game at Ashton Gate was in 1953 against Wolves who were invited because they were the reigning First Division Champions.

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Possible games are:

But the East End roof was black when we were in the old first div so it cant be then...

21 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I was there for that one. Lost 0-1. Previous day was at Molineux where we drew.

Yes drew 1-1.

I've got a vague recollection that Gordon Parr went off with a broken nose in the home game, and there were no subs in those days???

Maybe wrong though.

The brain doesn't work as well these days!!!

2 hours ago, Shaun Morgan said:

I thought it was 1 1 Nicky Morgan scored unless that was a different game . Long time ago now so probably wrong. Great picture. In the enclosure sat on the wall great times

That's how I remember the game too......

The coach we were on got pulled in along the Portway, thinking we were West Ham, the coach behind had a few people get off to attack ours, including women. They were scarier than the blokes out got off. Classy

2 hours ago, Shaun Morgan said:

I thought it was 1 1 Nicky Morgan scored unless that was a different game . Long time ago now so probably wrong. Great picture. In the enclosure sat on the wall great times

Thinking about it 1-1 might be right , still boring though .

Archived