IGNORED

Aden Flint at the free kick. Was the ref correct?

For those who didnt go today a very amusing incident happened in the second half. We had a free kick about 25 yards out and Flinty went up and stood right up in the keepers face with his back to the play. Every time the keeper craned his head to see round him, Flint moved in the same direction to block his view. It went on for ages with everyone seeing the funny side but then the ref ordered Flint to retreat away and back behind the ball. Is he allowed to do this? Surely Flint can stand where he wants, and would surely have been flagged offside if the ball had been shot into the net (however unlikely) ?

)

Not sure if it's legal, but there is a very amusing video on you tube, can't post link for some reason, but if you search for 

Steve Taylor puts off Stoke goalkeeper Begovic (Cabaye freekick) 10/03/13

its similar to what Flint did today but unfortunately not the same end result, and the referee did not see it  

I don't see why he can't stand there. He can stand where he wants. If he stands there during the free kick then it's offside. The ref was wrong. Maybe it's a bit unsportsmanlike but certainly not something the ref can tell him off for. Stand there and you're offside. Simple 

22 minutes ago, napper said:

Not sure if it's legal, but there is a very amusing video on you tube, can't post link for some reason, but if you search for 

Steve Taylor puts off Stoke goalkeeper Begovic (Cabaye freekick) 10/03/13

its similar to what Flint did today but unfortunately not the same end result, and the referee did not see it  

5 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Probably wouldn't allow it ungentlemanly conduct

Exactly.......pathetic way to try and gain some kind of advantage.

Another booking for diving as well? Not what I want to see from my team.

Ofcourse hes allowed to do it. Its like saying you cant stand at centre half when a striker is running at you. 

Flint was perfectly fine to stand there. Yes he wouldve been flagged offside but it was just one of many poor decisions by another very poor set of officials. 

54 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Ofcourse hes allowed to do it. Its like saying you cant stand at centre half when a striker is running at you. 

Flint was perfectly fine to stand there. Yes he wouldve been flagged offside but it was just one of many poor decisions by another very poor set of officials. 

Of course he's not. He wasn't "just standing there", was he. He was moving about with the deliberate intent of stopping the keeper seeing what was happening. Clearly ungentlemany conduct, and that's against the rules. 

Flint knew that and that's why he didn't complain when told to stop. But not the sort of thing that we want to risk bookings for. One for diving and another for moaning are both totally uneccessary and could be costly: how far off a suspension in Tomlin?

3 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Exactly.......pathetic way to try and gain some kind of advantage.

Another booking for diving as well? Not what I want to see from my team.

To be completely fair; the booking Tomlin took for diving against Brum was wrong - he was fouled & should have got a penalty, and so I'm not sure what other booking for diving other than Agard's yesterday we've had recently.

13 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

May aswell have allowed it. As soon as the free kick is taken....he would be offside, and by standing in front the keeper. ..he would have been interfering with play. 

Except they wouldn't have taken the free kick until Flint had moved back into an onside position, for that reason.

11 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

To be fair, by the time the ref called him back the wall was set. The ref probably just advised him to get onside.

I doubt that because that would involve using common sense and that ref never had any, 

So, can he stand in front of the keeper at a corner? Yes, so that's not deemed the same, the end product is to put the keeper off, corner, free kick, the same thing in my book, I think the ref yesterday was a bit baffled by Flinty as he had probably never experienced this before.

10 minutes ago, roe said:

I'm sorry but how the hell is this a dive?

67881a5d86e1e9c5b54af85e078f4b25.png

That's one picture from the incident, in real time I thought it was a dive, if I can watch the incident on film and I think I'm wrong I'll happily apologise, but I don't think I am.

There's highlights here, and it looks like he was pushed over to me. Certainly not a dive anyway even if the ref thought it was just strong defending. My point anyway was that I don't think it's fair to criticise us as a cheating team when we've had 2 questionable bookings for diving and at least 7 penalties against us for (at best) similar situations.

http://www.skysports.com/football/bristol-c-vs-cardiff/339941

2 hours ago, roe said:

There's highlights here, and it looks like he was pushed over to me. Certainly not a dive anyway even if the ref thought it was just strong defending. My point anyway was that I don't think it's fair to criticise us as a cheating team when we've had 2 questionable bookings for diving and at least 7 penalties against us for (at best) similar situations.

http://www.skysports.com/football/bristol-c-vs-cardiff/339941

I don't care what other teams do. I don't want my team doing it.

The gamesmanship we have now, from time wasting, through to taking ages to restart the game after a goal, unless your one or more goals still behind, drives me mad, players rolling around as if they've been shot, feigning head injuries to get the game stopped, stealing 20 yards at throw ins, the list is endless.

How sad is it that grown men have to have a line drawn in front of them so they don't move forward at a free kick.

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If you took a still image of Tom Daley you could make it look like someone tripped him up while he was stood next to a swimming pool.

Doesn't prove anything.

7 hours ago, Countryfile said:

That's one picture from the incident, in real time I thought it was a dive, if I can watch the incident on film and I think I'm wrong I'll happily apologise, but I don't think I am.

8 hours ago, roe said:

I'm sorry but how the hell is this a dive?

67881a5d86e1e9c5b54af85e078f4b25.png

Gifs are the answer

Looks like an arm in the back to me

agard 'dive'.gif

Archived