IGNORED

Adam Matthews signing today

westonred

33 minutes ago, cynic said:

Defensively, Ayling is a weak link in the team - based on watching him for a couple of seasons not just one match.

He is never a full back at this level, he gets turned far too easily, and he certainly isn't a good enough centre back as his positioning is consistently poor.

He is comfortable with the ball at his feet, but is a liability defensively imo.

He may make a better midfielder but not too sure, but I'm glad to see we've signed a career right back and now need to get in a replacement for Baker and another as back up.

Agreed,no way is he a fullback.really only view him as a squad player at best if we stay up..let's hope the loanee at rb fits in for now.

Little hasn't looked right since half way through last season, lost a yard and since the lay off looks to be carrying a bit of weight (I should be that fat !).

Just to add some perspective , if Vyner had faced up and got done as easily as Ayling for the second Saturday , he would have been crucified on here. I still hope for a forward to come in , but it looks like LJ doesn't do panic signings which is no bad thing ('wish he'd hurry up' he says in the next breath).

12 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

What exactly does that mean?

btw... I hope this move is not softening us up for Sam to pinch Flint in the close season. 

Absolutely nothing.

They followed Gayle, Gray etc too in the summer.

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Little hasn't looked right since half way through last season, lost a yard and since the lay off looks to be carrying a bit of weight (I should be that fat !).

Just to add some perspective , if Vyner had faced up and got done as easily as Ayling for the second Saturday , he would have been crucified on here. I still hope for a forward to come in , but it looks like LJ doesn't do panic signings which is no bad thing ('wish he'd hurry up' he says in the next breath).

But Ayling and O'Donnell should not have been left in that position.  The cross should not have been allowed to be made. We stood off a player and allowed him to pick out a man with space around him. You can't just blame Ayling for that goal.

6 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

btw... I hope this move is not softening us up for Sam to pinch Flint in the close season. 

I think it means that he BP have published a story saying we're going to sign him so BBC South West are looking at his social media, in case they actually get one right

Since Lj has come in I would say that the majority of our goals conceded have come down our right hand side. No surprise that he has come to the conclusion that we could do with a more defensively solid right back.

I like little and I like ayling but needs must in our current situation.

23 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Sincerely hope this is'nt the first move in a case of 

...Big Sam of Sunderland grooming Little Lee?

...surely not  ....no way.... cant afford to shut our eyes to the possibility though or we could be guilty of Aden & abetting something unthinkable

. If an approach is made, we gotta be strong and say  'no, .. no,.. NO! ' 

1 minute ago, cider-manc said:

Since Lj has come in I would say that the majority of our goals conceded have come down our right hand side. No surprise that he has come to the conclusion that we could do with a more defensively solid right back.

I like little and I like ayling but needs must in our current situation.

4 of said goals on the right were in 1 game alone

17 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

4 of said goals on the right were in 1 game alone

We've been weak at RB all season, opposition teams know this and game after game try to advantage of this, a proper RB is very much needed in the Golbourne mould, this would give us a very strong back four

38 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

But Ayling and O'Donnell should not have been left in that position.  The cross should not have been allowed to be made. We stood off a player and allowed him to pick out a man with space around him. You can't just blame Ayling for that goal.

That has been the problem all season, we have more of a midfield and striker problem than a defensive problem and have done all season, at times the midfield provides little or no protection for the defence sometimes backing off from the hallway line to our own 18 yard box, stray simple balls in dangerous positions and is generally unproductive in assists and shooting/goalscoring from midfield has been and is woeful.

This is a big risk. 

Matthews missed more Celtic games than he played with injury. He has always had an injury problem which has made him unable to progress into a great player people thought he would turn into. 

However, he is a good right back that always looks for the overlap and to attack. If he stays fit he should be a solid signing and make us a lot more tight at the back. Shouldn't be any more weak links in the side now. Fingers crossed 

26 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

God no, Smiths positioning and intelligence are far beyond Ayling, Bryan I can see but not Ayling

This just posted on twitter from the presser this morning LJ: "People will wonder why we're bringing in another right-back. It gives us manoeuvrability (sic) with Luke Ayling." - pretty strong hint that Ayling will be tried in midfield.

8 minutes ago, fergie1919 said:

This is a big risk. 

Matthews missed more Celtic games than he played with injury. He has always had an injury problem which has made him unable to progress into a great player people thought he would turn into. 

However, he is a good right back that always looks for the overlap and to attack. If he stays fit he should be a solid signing and make us a lot more tight at the back. Shouldn't be any more weak links in the side now. Fingers crossed 

I can't see how a loan is a risk.  A permanent signing would be a risk.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I can't see how a loan is a risk.  A permanent signing would be a risk.

A risk because in order to stay up. We are replacing our injury prone right back with another injury prone right back. We will see how long he lasts 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not blaming Ayling, I do think he was beaten easily but shouldn't have got to one one one. Just pointing out that assassination that Vyner got. Two poor goals from the team as a whole.

Very happy with this if it comes off. As other posters have mentioned, right back has been one of our weaker positions all season, so solidifying this for our relegation fight, makes perfect sense. Plus I had Matthews in my FPL team at the start of the season, as he was in the 'ones to watch' preview following his good form at Celtic! Took him out after GW1 mind ;)

Like what Preston are doing, building your team on a solid back four and keeper is a shrewd thing to do in the Championship. You may not light up the world of football at times, but you'll prove difficult to beat; and it will provide you with a good base in which to win games 1-0 or 2-1 (like we did in 2007/08). 

8 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Very happy with this if it comes off. As other posters have mentioned, right back has been one of our weaker positions all season, so solidifying this for our relegation fight, makes perfect sense. Plus I had Matthews in my FPL team at the start of the season, as he was in the 'ones to watch' preview following his good form at Celtic! Took him out after GW1 mind ;)

Like what Preston are doing, building your team on a solid back four and keeper is a shrewd thing to do in the Championship. You may not light up the world of football at times, but you'll prove difficult to beat; and it will provide you with a good base in which to win games 1-0 or 2-1 (like we did in 2007/08). 

Good point about Preston. We finished above them last season, but this season they are in 10th position in the league and we are 20th.   Preston have only scored 2 more than City, but have conceded 23 fewer goals. May not be pretty to watch, but it's consolidation in their first season back in the Championship. 

Great signing and exactly what we need. Means we can get rid of Little who quite frankly has been shocking. Ayling can move into a position where he can influence the game more. 

Also the view to a perm excites me as Matthews is a very very good player 

Archived