IGNORED

Adam Matthews signing today

westonred

Right Back/Right Wing Back has definately been a week link this season and an area where we've conceded to many goals from . I like Ayling , but not sure he's  a good enough defender at this level , likewise Mark Little seems to be struggling . Looks more like a heavyweight boxer than a footballer at the moment . 

Sunderland right-back joins until May 8th.

City have completed the loan signing of Adam Matthews for the remainder of the campaign.

The 24-year-old joins from Sunderland until May 8th, with the Premier League side including a recall clause in the emergency loan deal. 

Head coach Lee Johnson told bcfc.co.uk: “He’s a quality, young signing who is hungry to play. 

“He moved to Sunderland for £2m and hasn’t got in the team enough, so he’s keen to come here and prove himself. 

“People may think ‘why do we need another right-back?’ It’s a number of things really. We’re in the market for good players and that’s what Adam is. 

“He’s quick with good technique. The risk and reward with any loan is how quickly you can get the player up to speed and get them integrated to the group. 

“It gives us the ability to move Luke Ayling into central midfield if we want, which is the position where he began. And we’re still looking in other areas.” 

The 12-cap Wales international is a right-back who began his career across the Severn Bridge at Cardiff City, with whom he went on to make 48 appearances, scoring one goal. 

Celtic took Matthews on a free transfer in 2011 where the Welshman won four consecutive Scottish Premier League titles, as well as Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup medals in 2013 and 2015 respectively. 

Matthews also bolstered his experience playing in the Champions League and Europa League with the Glasgow club. 

A £2m switch to Sunderland took place in the summer but a couple of ankle injuries left him with only two first-team appearances to date. 

The defender made his international debut in 2011 against Scotland and will have outside hopes of joining the Welsh squad at this summer’s European Championships in France if his City loan proves successful. 

Matthews goes straight into the squad for tomorrow night’s Sky Bet Championship clash at Wolves and has been given squad number 26.  

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/city-seal-matthews-loan-deal-2993361.aspx#tymystVzy0trHlUy.99

Should be a decent acquisition for us at this level and considering our current right-back options.

Versatile, pacey, great at overlapping and getting forward (although not always a fantastic end product).

On the other hand he has spent a lot of time injured and I've never been the biggest fan of his defensive ability (to put it mildly).

He'll always be able to say he went directly against Messi and came out on top though :)

41 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Good all rounder. 

Can definitely bat well especially in the limited overs game. And a steady if unspectacular bowler. Should add cutting edge on both fronts  

Sri Lankans excite me. 

Adam sounds nothing like Angelo!

51 minutes ago, Kodjia said:

Where does it say we have an option to sign him permanently?

“Speaking to the gaffer, he wants to build for next season and push for a top-six place. I think it’s a good club and it’s heading in the right direction.

“Obviously I haven’t played many games this season and he wanted to know how fit I was, but I feel good in myself and hopefully I can come in straightaway and show what I can do.

“In the last couple of months I’ve played in five or six reserve games for Sunderland against good teams. I feel as fit as I can be at the minute.

“I can play left-back and I’ve played right wing before, but I think right-back is where I’m most comfortable. I like to get forward, get crosses in and support the front men.

“If all goes well for both parties there’s a possibility of a (permanent) move in the summer, so we’ll see how it goes and if he (Johnson) wants to keep me."

Thank Christ for that. Little has been defensively poor all season. Doesn't look bad going forward but hardly an attacking wing back with finesse. Based on a very limited amount of time Ayling didn't look strong enough either.

Vyner might have potential but isn't ready yet.

A strong back 4 and decent keeper is a minimum. Now and for next season. Looks like "Lansdown's Yes Man" - as some refer to him - is starting to act.......

3 hours ago, fergie1919 said:

This is a big risk. 

Matthews missed more Celtic games than he played with injury. He has always had an injury problem which has made him unable to progress into a great player people thought he would turn into. 

However, he is a good right back that always looks for the overlap and to attack. If he stays fit he should be a solid signing and make us a lot more tight at the back. Shouldn't be any more weak links in the side now. Fingers crossed 

A quick Google search completely nullifies your point. He played 150 games between 2011-2015. Average of around 37 games per season.

11 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Thank Christ for that. Little has been defensively poor all season. Doesn't look bad going forward but hardly an attacking wing back with finesse. Based on a very limited amount of time Ayling didn't look strong enough either.

Vyner might have potential but isn't ready yet.

A strong back 4 and decent keeper is a minimum. Now and for next season. Looks like "Lansdown's Yes Man" - as some refer to him - is starting to act.......

And, in any event, is not a right back, but was thrust in to this position to help out.

I love it when you hear news like this breaking on OTIB, I have never, ever heard of Adam Matthews before but his appearance record at Celtic and the fact he was a 2 million buy for Sunderland in the summer all sounds pretty, pretty decent.

Sounds a good bit of business.

58 minutes ago, joeyb said:

A quick Google search completely nullifies your point. He played 150 games between 2011-2015. Average of around 37 games per season.

That also includes 30 European games, as he was often rested for league matches in order to preserve him for those matches against higher-calibre oppositon.

37 minutes ago, samo II said:

That also includes 30 European games, as he was often rested for league matches in order to preserve him for those matches against higher-calibre oppositon.

Not much experience in Champions League though, not sure he'll be good enough

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Not much experience in Champions League though, not sure he'll be good enough

Yeah, 18 games in it since summer 2012, including both games of the last 16 tie against Juve three years back.

Little bit of a contrast for the lad in moving to us, being that this time last year he'd just started both legs for Celtic against Inter in the Europa League knock out stages.

With stuff about him possibly being here next year, coupled with Tomlin suggesting he would be too, I'm quite impressed with our recruitment since Christmas, and I include Golbourne in that too.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I love it when you hear news like this breaking on OTIB, I have never, ever heard of Adam Matthews before but his appearance record at Celtic and the fact he was a 2 million buy for Sunderland in the summer all sounds pretty, pretty decent.

Sounds a good bit of business.

You will all be glad to know that Adam Matthews was in fact a "wonderkid" on one of the previous Fifa games. I think he had one of the highest, if not the highest potentials as a right back in the whole game. It's not like Fifa have ever got any wonderkids wrong, just look at Freddy Adu or Macheda for example ;) 

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Yeah, 18 games in it since summer 2012, including both games of the last 16 tie against Juve three years back.

Little bit of a contrast for the lad in moving to us, being that this time last year he'd just started both legs for Celtic against Inter in the Europa League knock out stages.

With stuff about him possibly being here next year, coupled with Tomlin suggesting he would be too, I'm quite impressed with our recruitment since Christmas, and I include Golbourne in that too.

Moyesie came here 30 years ago, having played for Celtic. In Europe. Against Juve. At right back. Crikes! :blink:

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Moyesie came here 30 years ago, having played for Celtic. In Europe. Against Juve. At right back. Crikes! :blink:

So what you're saying is that in 30 years time is we'll try and approach Adam Matthews as our manager and he'll turn us down..?

CITY A CLUB ON THE UP - MATTHEWS

Monday, March 7th, 2016

Adam Matthews revealed the ambition of Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson was a big factor in committing his future to Ashton Gate – whether short or long term.

The Welsh international right-back joins on loan from Sunderland for the rest of the season, but is already talking about what his temporary employers hope to achieve beyond the current campaign. 

The Cardiff City Academy graduate made 148 appearances in four years at Celtic before signing for Sunderland last summer, but has not played a competitive game since August. 

Matthews, who hopes to force his way into the Wales squad for the upcoming European Championships, goes straight into Johnson’s squad to face Wolves at Molineux tomorrow night (7.45pm). 

“It’s happened quite quickly,” he told Bristol City Player HD. “I first found out on Friday and I thought it would be a good move for me – hopefully I can help the team and get some games as well. 

“Speaking to the gaffer, he wants to build for next season and push for a top-six place. I think it’s a good club and it’s heading in the right direction. 

“Obviously I haven’t played many games this season and he wanted to know how fit I was, but I feel good in myself and hopefully I can come in straightaway and show what I can do. 

“In the last couple of months I’ve played in five or six reserve games for Sunderland against good teams. I feel as fit as I can be at the minute. 

“I can play left-back and I’ve played right wing before, but I think right-back is where I’m most comfortable. I like to get forward, get crosses in and support the front men. 

“If all goes well for both parties there’s a possibility of a (permanent) move in the summer, so we’ll see how it goes and if he (Johnson) wants to keep me." 

Archived