Jump to content
IGNORED

Disappearing threads


ChippenhamRed

Recommended Posts

Why do threads suddenly disappear?  First we had the "Accidentally said Johnson" thread started by a Barnsley fan, then the "Severnside double" thread from our friend over the bridge.  Both have mysteriously disappeared.  As far as I was aware there wasn't anything particularly controversial, though presumably something was said.

Could a mod please explain why threads are suddenly deleted without explanation - and why are some threads locked, whereas others are removed altogether?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

@ChippenhamRed The Severnside Double thread was "hidden" this morning by me

There had been a number of complaints about a number of posts that had appeared - usually we would look to try and edit the sections out that have caused offence and leave the main topic in place. Sadly with that topic it was almost impossible to leave as it was.

As a result Bluebird76 has been banned from this site

Can't comment on the other thread you mentioned - hadn't seen that one 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why do threads suddenly disappear?  First we had the "Accidentally said Johnson" thread started by a Barnsley fan, then the "Severnside double" thread from our friend over the bridge.  Both have mysteriously disappeared.  As far as I was aware there wasn't anything particularly controversial, though presumably something was said.

Could a mod please explain why threads are suddenly deleted without explanation - and why are some threads locked, whereas others are removed altogether?

Sink holes.

:yes:

 

Uncle TFR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, phantom said:

@ChippenhamRed The Severnside Double thread was "hidden" this morning by me

There had been a number of complaints about a number of posts that had appeared - usually we would look to try and edit the sections out that have caused offence and leave the main topic in place. Sadly with that topic it was almost impossible to leave as it was.

As a result Bluebird76 has been banned from this site

Can't comment on the other thread you mentioned - hadn't seen that one 

Thanks Phantom - fair enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why do threads suddenly disappear?  

Just like you, I long to be, er, close to Bluebird 76 and his evident lack of satisfactory/rewarding work/relationships/other interests/life that he needs to fill the void coming on here. Poor taff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Sink holes.

:yes:

 

 TFR 

Black holes, (other holes are available)

Ar se  Holes are quite  common.

All that I know is the hole in my shoe which is letting in water.

To top it all theres a hole in my bucket dear Liza, dear Liza a hole...

Theres3000 of 'em in Blackburn Lancashire I heard somewhere

Pot holes all over the bloody roads -pfft they makes I mad, fix 'em we pays enough road and fuel taxes.. Dammit.

Atomic Kitten promised to make me hole again, I think thats what they said?

Then theres the Mem -thats a proper shite-hole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just before it got deleted I added a video to try and add a bit of balance to the discussion. This is Cardiff fans before the Liverpool game whilst we were in The Premier League. Best pics about 3 mins in. Tan was threatening to pull the plug at the time if we were 'rude'/protested. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, lenred said:

 Yep, I was gobsmacked anybody would wear one of these free scarves.

Some fans weren't really bothered about it to be honest as they thought the club was moving forward, some thought any form of protest would mean certain liquidation so just wanted to keep the peace, others protested and some just stopped going altogether.

I think you might be surprised about how the reaction of your own fans would have been divided under exactly the same circumstances (multiple court orders etc). I don't expect you to accept this but I reckon it would be the case. Quite a lot of people just go to games to have a few pints with mates or to spend some time with their family and don't value the 'identity' of the club in the same way as the 'hardcore' fans.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Barnsley fan thread was from our, about a billionth time retuning, friend who once wished GJ died in a coach accident.  Partly my fault when removing his account it deleted the thread as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Keyardiv said:

 

I accept that every club of our ilk would get glory hunters of some description going into the prem.  But your hardcore fan base let it happen. Let the soul be ripped from your club, your whole identity ruined. I remember being at Lego land and chanting 'what the f'ing hell is that' at the massive Malaysia flag, alongside the old 'you used to be blue' songs and hundreds of your fans were clapping us in resignation.   I honestly, hand on heart, do not believe that we would do that.  That we would just take it.  Premier league or not. Financial trouble or not. You all should have fought against it and you didn't. Like I say, you can post any number of videos or pictures but the fact is that it happened and that fact will never ever change. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, lenred said:

I accept that every club of our ilk would get glory hunters of some description going into the prem.  But your hardcore fan base let it happen. Let the soul be ripped from your club, your whole identity ruined. I remember being at Lego land and chanting 'what the f'ing hell is that' at the massive Malaysia flag, alongside the old 'you used to be blue' songs and hundreds of your fans were clapping us in resignation.   I honestly, hand on heart, do not believe that we would do that.  That we would just take it.  Premier league or not. Financial trouble or not. You all should have fought against it and you didn't. Like I say, you can post any number of videos or pictures but the fact is that it happened and that fact will never ever change. 

So if one of your club's directors essentially said it's 'blue or dead' folks you can vouch that the 99.99% of regular Bristol City fans that you don't know would say OK, we'll take the dead option then? That's quite a claim. We'll never know for sure, but I think you might be surprised. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Keyardiv said:

So if one of your club's directors essentially said it's 'blue or dead' folks you can vouch that the 99.99% of regular Bristol City fans that you don't know would say OK, we'll take the dead option then? That's quite a claim. We'll never know for sure, but I think you might be surprised. 

Where did I say 99.99%? And I don't remember it being a 'red or dead' situation. You lot never pushed it far enough for it to become so. You just took it. 

It's a moot point and Im sure there would be a percentage that were apathetic here but I am sure it wouldn't happen, that it wouldn't be allowed to happen. That it happened at Legoland is not up for discussion. It's fact, unfortunately for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Where did I say 99.99%? And I don't remember it being a 'red or dead' situation. You lot never pushed it far enough for it to become so. You just took it. 

It's a moot point and Im sure there would be a percentage that were apathetic here but I am sure it wouldn't happen, that it wouldn't be allowed to happen. That it happened at Legoland is not up for discussion. It's fact, unfortunately for you. 

Well, presumably you don't know the vast majority of other regular Bristol City fans, so estimating you don't know 99.9% of them I don't think is far off. Many fans did believe it was red or dead, although it may not have been in reality. A well known director of the club encouraged this view with scaremongering statements. It's highlighted in headlines like this: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/analysis-really-red-dead-cardiff-2030560

It's easy to have over inflated views about the passion of your own fan base, or believe they all think like you. And to enjoy believing the worst about rival fans. It's also easy to make brave calls when nothing is actually at stake. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can try and make yourself feel better by surmising what you think may or may not happen to other clubs if they found themselves in your position. But if you seriously think that 99.9% of our fanbase would sit back and take what you did then you are deluded my friend. Completely and utterly deluded.  Like I said before we'll probably never know in our case or many other clubs' cases as it was such a random thing to happen. But we know Hull City didn't take it for example. And we know that the Cardiff Reds did. And until that changes then you're in a no win situation.  End of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

You can try and make yourself feel better by surmising what you think may or may not happen to other clubs if they found themselves in your position. But if you seriously think that 99.9% of our fanbase would sit back and take what you did then you are deluded my friend. Completely and utterly deluded.  Like I said before we'll probably never know in our case or many other clubs' cases as it was such a random thing to happen. But we know Hull City didn't take it for example. And we know that the Cardiff Reds did. And until that changes then you're in a no win situation.  End of. 

Well, Hull City season-ticket holders actually voted to accept a change of name. And they certainly never had a march in the scale of the video above. I'm not criticising them, but it's a good example of how club's owners manipulate fans to try and get their own way. Anyway, as I mentioned I don't expect anybody here to accept an alternative point of view and to be fair if it was the other way round I probably wouldn't either. I'm done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Keyardiv said:

Well, presumably you don't know the vast majority of other regular Bristol City fans, so estimating you don't know 99.9% of them I don't think is far off. Many fans did believe it was red or dead, although it may not have been in reality. A well known director of the club encouraged this view with scaremongering statements. It's highlighted in headlines like this: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/analysis-really-red-dead-cardiff-2030560

It's easy to have over inflated views about the passion of your own fan base, or believe they all think like you. And to enjoy believing the worst about rival fans. It's also easy to make brave calls when nothing is actually at stake. 

The point is mate that blue is identified with a certain team of pikeys from the North Bristol badlands, so I think it would be a double betrayal unacceptable to the vast majority of our fan base.  Be like you guys playing in a Swansea City white I imagine.

If we were taken over by some foreign nutter in the future who wanted us to play in - say - black & white, I'm not sure what the reaction would be, long-run, once the fuss died down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were Cardiff fans who came on here for a debate at the time, season tickets were handed back in, lifelong fans said they would never go again whilst Tan was in charge / you wore red. Could all be bluster, of course, but I can imagine there are a fair few who haven't been back since. More power to them

I can't say City wearing blue would stop me, I'm one of a few on here who wouldn't mind a blue 3rd kit, but make it quarters and I wouldn't go. Might sound pathetic to some, but there you go. I wouldn't go if H*lloway was appointed manager either. For me though, changing the kit for reasons of sponsorship and to make yourselves attractive to a new breed of supporters, who will never live and breath Cardiff City FC like their 'homegrown' fans do is just wrong. Thankfully we're not run by a lunatic despot, so I think we're safe on that count

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Keyardiv said:

Well, presumably you don't know the vast majority of other regular Bristol City fans, so estimating you don't know 99.9% of them I don't think is far off. Many fans did believe it was red or dead, although it may not have been in reality. A well known director of the club encouraged this view with scaremongering statements. It's highlighted in headlines like this: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/analysis-really-red-dead-cardiff-2030560

It's easy to have over inflated views about the passion of your own fan base, or believe they all think like you. And to enjoy believing the worst about rival fans. It's also easy to make brave calls when nothing is actually at stake. 

Thanks for your input @Keyardiv - it's refreshing to have someone from over the bridge willing to engage with the issues.  I take you're point that we can't be certain how our fans would react under the same circumstances and I accept that it would seem inevitable that at least some of our fans would react in the same manner if they really did believe it was a "red or dead" situation (or "blue or dead" as it would be in our case).  However, I do believe that the consensus reaction - i.e. the majority - would have reacted more strongly against the rebrand than your fans did.  I don't get the same sense of desperation for success at any cost here, perhaps because we have been relatively stable for many years now off the pitch, albeit with limited success on it.

I think what really doesn't help your cause is the more recent "always be blue" campaign of your fans, as if they made some great, noble stand against an evil dictator.  We saw the banner on Saturday.  It does you no favours - we know the reality.  We've seen the pictures of the red scarves.  I acknowledge that the "always be blue" campaign was there in a much smaller, less noticeable way at the start.  But what is undeniable is that the campaign only gathered any momentum once the upward trend on the pitch had been replaced with a downward spiral back into the Championship.  That cements the belief that your fans - broadly speaking - valued success ahead of their club's very identity, and were only willing to make an effective stand once that success had ceased.  Not something to be proud of.  Ironically it also disproves the "red or dead" theory, because it turned out that Tan was willing to remain at the club, and fund it, when playing in blue.

It's also worth mentioning that the Liverpool protest didn't really help you either - you promised "a riot" if Mackay was sacked, yet actually when it happened there was no sort of response at all, the stadium continued to sell out, and a few weeks later you all welcomed Solksjaer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd actually agree the fans reaction was dissapointing at first and slow to gain momentum. I was on a much smaller march before our first Premier League game against Man City. 

There was a lot of fan in-fighting at first over how to react and it took a while to get an organised response across various supporters groups together. There was also a lot of scaremongering going on in the background about 'red or dead' which made from my personal experience a lot of fans very cautious about upsetting Tan. There were also of course fans who'd waited all their lives for us to reach the top flight - and then found it a bit of an anti-climax. The Liverpool cross supporters groups March was set in motion in February and we were by no means sitting ducks by then. 

As for Malky I'm not sure what the fans were expected to do except stick their chests out and make Tan think. Have any clubs fans rioted, or even threatened to over a popular manager (at the time) being sacked? 

To be honest we've been over and over this on our own board so that's my final post on the subject as now we're back in blue and debt is being paid-off it's time in my view to move on.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...