IGNORED

Views on Tonight

Bs4Red

On my way home from what was one of the single worst away days I've ever had. 

Nothing to do with the result. But for the first time in my 21 years, I watched an away game for halfway along the side of a stand. Just couldn't enjoy the game as much.

The atmosphere was flat and in all fairness we gave it a good go and 718 is a great effort from us in my opinion. 

Thought we got what we deserved for an awful performance however Wolves were equally as bad. Kodjia is becoming increasingly more like the kid at school who didn't pass to anyone and Tomlin just wanders round the pitch doing absolutely nothing.

Freeman was awful tonight and quite frankly him and Tomlin are why we struggle. Their lack of creativity makes movement of the ball slow and predictable and other teams just wait for our eventual mistake. 

Thought Flint was outstanding tonight and hope he gets a move in the summer as he is turning into an awesome centre back.

Slightly miffed by Johnson subs tonight and Wilbs once again about as useful as a chocolate teapot. 

Massive game Saturday against Fulham. If I was LJ I'd be so frustrated with our lack of consistency, one week we look like world beater the next we look like a bang average league one side. 

Pluses -

Bryan - best City player by miles

Matthews - looks pretty solid but needs fitness

Pack - had to cover a lot of work as had nobody alongside him.  Coped well.

Minuses - 

O'Donnell - two errors, one disastrous 

Wagstaff - harsh maybe as hasnt played, but game passed him by

Tomlin - didn't really affect the game.  Expected more.

Kodjia - we desperately need him to be more consistent.  

We were good for 15 minutes in the first half and 15 minutes in the second.  Other than that it was dire.  Wolves were worse than us but won the game. 

1 hour ago, Bs4Red said:

Nothing to do with the result. But for the first time in my 21 years, I watched an away game for halfway along the side of a stand. Just couldn't enjoy the game as much.

The atmosphere was flat and in all fairness we gave it a good go and 718 is a great effort from us in my opinion. 

Thought we got what we deserved for an awful performance however Wolves were equally as bad. Kodjia is becoming increasingly more like the kid at school who didn't pass to anyone and Tomlin just wanders round the pitch doing absolutely nothing.

Freeman was awful tonight and quite frankly him and Tomlin are why we struggle. Their lack of creativity makes movement of the ball slow and predictable and other teams just wait for our eventual mistake. 

Thought Flint was outstanding tonight and hope he gets a move in the summer as he is turning into an awesome centre back.

Slightly miffed by Johnson subs tonight and Wilbs once again about as useful as a chocolate teapot. 

Massive game Saturday against Fulham. If I was LJ I'd be so frustrated with our lack of consistency, one week we look like world beater the next we look like a bang average league one side. 

Wasn't at the game, so can't comment...but I get the impression from what LJ has been saying recently, that your thoughts regarding tomlin and LF might be spot on.

Players can look skilful, link up play, dribble and have a nice touch...but if they keep over playing it allows the opposition to defend easier.

I think LJ wants us to play crisp, fast, one touch football, that is precise and doesn't allow defenders to get back into position so easily.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wasn't at the game, so can't comment...but I get the impression from what LJ has been saying recently, that your thoughts regarding tomlin and LF might be spot on.

Players can look skilful, link up play, dribble and have a nice touch...but if they keep over playing it allows the opposition to defend easier.

I think LJ wants us to play crisp, fast, one touch football, that is precise and doesn't allow defenders to get back into position so easily.

Honestly Freeman for the first half optimised everything you'd want him to be doing, early balls, not overdoing it and great off the ball movement. 2nd half he was abysmal. Lost possession more than anyone else and running in circles. 

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Honestly Freeman for the first half optimised everything you'd want him to be doing, early balls, not overdoing it and great off the ball movement. 2nd half he was abysmal. Lost possession more than anyone else and running in circles. 

Do you think it was LF and Tomlin who LJ said he was disappointed with tonight mate?

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Do you think it was LF and Tomlin who LJ said he was disappointed with tonight mate?

Just listened to it, if he's on about first half I can't really see how he can think LF took too many touches. 2nd half without a  doubt however he did.  Tomlin first half definitely was overplaying and on occasion slowed us down or took too long. If there's anyone to be dissapointed with its Tomlin for overplaying/taking too long, Wagstaff for offering very little going forward (would've preferred to have seen Reid), and O'donnell for the horrible mistake second goal. Bryan however was immense, great passing and interplay. 

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

If you don't mind me jumping in, I don't see who else it can be.  

Back four were decent enough.  Baker not great but can't see him being one of the two LJ referred to.

Pack was good, especially considering nobody else was alongside him.  Bryan brilliant.  Wagstaff crap but can't blame him as hasnt played.

The disappointing players were Freeman, Tomlin and Kodjia.  The first two for their final ball and work in the final third.  Kodjia less so but he simply could have done more tonight.  

I've nearly lost patience with Freeman.  He is so close to being a fantastic player but it's just not happening.  His shooting has been bad all season but tonight it was worse than that.  If he and his fellow winger aren't  getting 5-6 goals minimum each then you can't play this formation.  You have to play two up front.  

13 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I thought he was better on the left tonight, worse when he switched to the right.  But previous games it's been the other way around.

Everything about tonight was flat. We looked nervous. Plan B Wilbs and Agard is embarrassing at this level. Should've taken a point against a poor Wolves side who don't like playing at home. Flint immense. Joey B could b a centre mid. Kodja needs a partner. Tomlin  better when deep . Missing Smith.  As always it looks like we will have to do it the hard way to stay up. 

Anyone know of a decent striker/ poacher at the club currently not in the squad?

Was there, poor game, two poor sides, endless mis-placed passes, and they got the break at the end. Whole game and atmosphere totally flat. We have not won there since 1931, so it's just business as usual at Wolves. Had some great beers and a very nice curry, so some positives!

I really don't see any argument that Freeman is 'close to being fantastic'. What does he do?

35 games this season. 1 goal which he can take no real credit for and unless I have forgotten one he hasn't created a goal in open play.

His shooting is so bad it's laughable, has he ever struck a ball cleanly? Even his goals last season, a tally that wasn't overly impressive in a dominant team, with the exception of Rochdale and Yeovil were large deflections or managing to beat an outfield keeper in goal at S****horpe. 45 games at Ashton Gate, no goals. That really is special from a supposed attacking player.

Since he has started playing out wide it's now evident that his crossing is nothing other than chipping it in to the keeper like he's warming him up at half time.

He doesn't see runs or have the vision to play killer passes and actually can be rather sloppy with safe passes under no pressure.

He can dribble I would accept, but even that is it dangerous? Is he a threat? Or actually if you have anything at all about you defensively is he not incredibly easy to deal with? He'll take too many touches and eventually take the safe option and cutting back towards his own goal. There are many players in the league that are frustrating with their lack of end product but are persisted with because they can run with the ball. But these players are usually an outlet to take pressure off of the defence, a threat on the counter and a way of getting you up the pitch and winning free-kicks, corners, throw-ins. I wouldn't say Freeman even does that.

So no goals, doesn't particularly retain the ball for you under pressure, doesn't make the other attacking players around him better and provides no real outlet or threat.

We managed to beat Middlesbrough twice when he wasn't in the team as well, so difficult for me to see why he walks into the team every single week without fail.

5 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I really don't see any argument that Freeman is 'close to being fantastic'. What does he do?

35 games this season. 1 goal which he can take no real credit for and unless I have forgotten one he hasn't created a goal in open play.

His shooting is so bad it's laughable, has he ever struck a ball cleanly? Even his goals last season, a tally that wasn't overly impressive in a dominant team, with the exception of Rochdale and Yeovil were large deflections or managing to beat an outfield keeper in goal at S****horpe. 45 games at Ashton Gate, no goals. That really is special from a supposed attacking player.

Since he has started playing out wide it's now evident that his crossing is nothing other than chipping it in to the keeper like he's warming him up at half time.

He doesn't see runs or have the vision to play killer passes and actually can be rather sloppy with safe passes under no pressure.

He can dribble I would accept, but even that is it dangerous? Is he a threat? Or actually if you have anything at all about you defensively is he not incredibly easy to deal with? He'll take too many touches and eventually take the safe option and cutting back towards his own goal. There are many players in the league that are frustrating with their lack of end product but are persisted with because they can run with the ball. But these players are usually an outlet to take pressure off of the defence, a threat on the counter and a way of getting you up the pitch and winning free-kicks, corners, throw-ins. I wouldn't say Freeman even does that.

So no goals, doesn't particularly retain the ball for you under pressure, doesn't make the other attacking players around him better and provides no real outlet or threat.

We managed to beat Middlesbrough twice when he wasn't in the team as well, so difficult for me to see why he walks into the team every single week without fail.

I genuinely though he had a fairly decent first half. Almost every show of an attacking threat has to do with him in some way and his breaking from midfield is something that relieves pressure on the defence. 

But I think so many people are getting on his back that more & more people are seeing the negatives rather than any positives. i think we'd be a whole lot less creative without him. His game is based on fine margins, a little bit like our team performances this season, Polish a few things and he'll definitely be the asset we all know that he can be.

But I do accept his shooting is very poor. 

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

I genuinely though he had a fairly decent first half. Almost every show of an attacking threat has to do with him in some way and his breaking from midfield is something that relieves pressure on the defence. 

But I think so many people are getting on his back that more & more people are seeing the negatives rather than any positives. i think we'd be a whole lot less creative without him. His game is based on fine margins, a little bit like our team performances this season, Polish a few things and he'll definitely be the asset we all know that he can be.

But I do accept his shooting is very poor. 

Is that even possible?

I would agree though he was decent in the first half, although as ever ultimately pointless, but second half (and he wasn't alone in this) he was absolutely dreadful.

12 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Sorry but you hope one of our best players gets sold?

Hmmm ok then.

4 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

His shooting is so bad it's laughable, has he ever struck a ball cleanly?

I was saying yesterday that I can't actually remember the last time Freeman hit the target, let alone actually worked a goalkeeper.

Absolutely no end product with anything he does lately, unless it is from dead balls. Blind alleys, passing back to team mates when he has better chance at causing the opposition problems, point blank refusing to use his right foot, cutting back and either lashing high and wide or floating easy balls down gk's throats. Not doing it for me at the moment

21 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Sorry but you hope one of our best players gets sold?

Hmmm ok then.

My point is that he is showing he is a great centre half and deserves a chance at the prem which he won't get with us.

Im obviously a fan of this club but I'm also a fan of Flint and for him to progress he needs to move to a better club. 

Obviously I wouldn't want him to leave but we found one gem in him, we could easily find another. 

Or bolster the side and keep Flint however after last summer that one seems a longshot

6 minutes ago, PaulieBS5 said:

Why bring in a right back when Little came on and set up our equaliser through solid play.

Matthews on one occasion even let the ball go under his foot with no one even remotely on him.

That's on par with how bad I am!

Don't worry, he did well in Scotland alongside Mark Wilson and Richard Foster.

17 hours ago, RedDave said:

Pluses -

Bryan - best City player by miles

Matthews - looks pretty solid but needs fitness

Pack - had to cover a lot of work as had nobody alongside him.  Coped well.

Minuses - 

O'Donnell - two errors, one disastrous 

Wagstaff - harsh maybe as hasnt played, but game passed him by

Tomlin - didn't really affect the game.  Expected more.

Kodjia - we desperately need him to be more consistent.  

We were good for 15 minutes in the first half and 15 minutes in the second.  Other than that it was dire.  Wolves were worse than us but won the game. 

Matthews was awful as all of their attacks came down the right.

When Little came on he immediately set up the equaliser with good solid play marauding forward to feed Joe.

I've never seen a pro let the ball go under his foot when no one remotely close to him to put him off so disagree he was a plus when truly horrific and LJ put him out of his misery not before time.

i would have taken him off at H-T.

3 hours ago, PaulieBS5 said:

When Little came on he immediately set up the equaliser with good solid play marauding forward to feed Joe.

I've never seen a pro let the ball go under his foot when no one remotely close to him to put him off so disagree he was a plus when truly horrific and LJ put him out of his misery not before time.

i would have taken him off at H-T.

Depends if you want to cut someone some slack who hasn't played for months.  I am.  You aren't.  

Considering his huge lack of game time I think he generally coped well.

4 hours ago, PaulieBS5 said:

i would have taken him off at H-T.

What about Little vs Preston?

22 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

On the atmosphere thing, that is why I don't go to Wolves anymore, stick us along the length of the pitch about 10 deep. Try all you want to get singing together, it doesn't happen. Our away support is as good as it gets and competes with most home fans but not at Wolves, think they position us there on purpose so I won't play to their tune

10 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

My point is that he is showing he is a great centre half and deserves a chance at the prem which he won't get with us.

Im obviously a fan of this club but I'm also a fan of Flint and for him to progress he needs to move to a better club. 

Obviously I wouldn't want him to leave but we found one gem in him, we could easily find another. 

Or bolster the side and keep Flint however after last summer that one seems a longshot

A guy on their radio, BBC WM, was suggesting Villa bought Flint to play alongside Baker for them next season.

1 hour ago, redcard said:

On the atmosphere thing, that is why I don't go to Wolves anymore, stick us along the length of the pitch about 10 deep. Try all you want to get singing together, it doesn't happen. Our away support is as good as it gets and competes with most home fans but not at Wolves, think they position us there on purpose so I won't play to their tune

I'm glad I didn't take Joe last night....the wheelchair 'seats' would've suffered from that electronic advertisement board.  Even four rows back, sat down, you could only just make out the touch line.

Archived