IGNORED

Saturday's team

mightyreds89

Provided Smith is fit I'd play 4-3-1-2.    

Freeman has been improved recently but his final ball, cross, pass/shot has been dreadful for that reason Tomlin gets his spot. Kodja also been far too isolated last few games. 

O' Donnell 

Little      Flint    Baker  Goldbourne 

Smith    Pack    Bryan 

Tomlin 

Kodja    Aagard/Wilbs 

I think that formation looks like it would just limit our options going forward even more. I don't think big changes are needed, we just need to try and get back to being resolute and clinical rather than trying to do too much.

Wouldn't be too surprised if Fielding plays on Saturday.

Think we can probably assume Smith isn't going to fit by LJ's comment the other day about not wanting to put a timescale on his return.

Apart from the 2 CBs, Golbourne, Pack, Tomlin and Kodjia I genuinely have no idea who to pick.

There is a good argument to say that was O'Donnell's first major mistake so he stays in and there is a reasonable consensus (I wasn't there so can't comment myself) that Bryan played ok.

Will LJ drop Matthews after just one game? If so, then we are back to Little.

I just can't see us playing two up front, Fulham ran us ragged down here with loads of midfield runners so maybe Ayling (and why on earth was he not even on the bench last night?) may feature, otherwise presumably Reid gets another go away or Waggy?

Assuming no further loan signing it is all much of a muchness, isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

The way Freeman played vs Wolves I think part of me wants Reid to come back in, for all his flaws at least he can see a forward pass unlike Freeman

Johnson is now harping on about a player or players who are not moving the ball and clearly trying to beat too many players. Freeman is obviously one of them, Kodjia probably the second. Others?

Kodjia clearly feels that he has to go it alone as nobody else in the team can score goals from open play. His lack of English Championship experience is hanging heavily on him.

But Freeman appears to be incapable of playing as part of a team, so how much longer before LJ drops him? He creates almost nothing and can't hit the target if he had twenty shots per game.

40 minutes ago, mightyreds89 said:

Provided Smith is fit I'd play 4-3-1-2.    

Freeman has been improved recently but his final ball, cross, pass/shot has been dreadful for that reason Tomlin gets his spot. Kodja also been far too isolated last few games. 

O' Donnell 

Little      Flint    Baker  Goldbourne 

Smith    Pack    Bryan 

Tomlin 

Kodja    Aagard/Wilbs 

Mmm, sorry Fella, Tomlin is on a completely different level to Freeman, there is no comparison, Tomlin should be number 10 all day long.

Little? Not a chance, nowhere near good enough at this level.

Doubt Smith will be available.

Wilbs should be nowhere near a start.

@GrahamC I can only assume Ayling suffered some niggles from Saturday.  He was out there doing the warm up last night.  As someone who's had 4 cartilage Ops and an ACL, I wouldn't be surprised if he suffered some stiffness and was using last night as an opportunity to get some of it back out.

My side for Saturday, assuming Smith and Ayling aren't fit to start.  I wish Smith was fit because I'd play him holding in a 4141, but alas I don't think he'll make it.  I am assuming Little is fit.  I've lined it up as a 4411, but I think it would naturally be a 4231....just depends on which way you look at it.

O'Donnell

Little, Flint, Baker, Golbourne

Freeman, Pack, Bryan, Tomlin

Reid

Kodjia

Rationale:

Little - seems to have a positive effect on results when he starts, plus like to see what happens if him and Fredericks come into contact.  Too big a game (they all are) for Matthews having not had much chance to play with the back 4.  I think Little's pace and strength (ignoring his deficiencies for this game) might be needed both attacking and defending.

Freeman - has been playing a little bit better, and his assists for Flint of late could be vital.  I do live in a bit of hope that if he got a goal, it might lift a huge weight on his shoulders.  

Bryan - think we need energy in the middle of the park, especially without Korey.  Encouraged by his second half showing, and a left footer in there gives it nice balance.

Tomlin - will play him on the left, but he will rotate with....

Reid - because him and LT are the two players who play with their heads-up and can bring the best out of....

Kodjia - he is the most likely to score.  In some ways I wish we'd won 1-0 v MKD and he'd only scored 1, because I would've rested him for the BHA game.  But having scored twice it became an impossible decision to leave him out.  I think he needed a week off...and he looked tired v BHA.  I'm gonna flog him one last time, and then let him have a relaxing week leading up to Bolton.  The reverse pass by LT to him last night, shows that he can get into those dangerous positions, and Fulham's defence is exploitable.

I'm sure loads will disagree, suspect Reid and Freeman will be subject to plenty of debate.

Would love to hear some news tomorrow from LJ that Korey is in with a shout.

Out of interest, anyone find it really easy to pick their eleven and starting formation?

One change I would make is swap LF to the left. I liked the idea of the wide players being able to cut in on their stronger foot, but for Freeman it just ain't working. He likes to run with the ball and looks uncomfortable going outside so the fullback knows where he's going all the time. Shame Bennett went back now we actually play in a system he'd fit in but for balance now, Tomlin or even Agard could play on the right of the 3 behing Kodjia.

2 hours ago, WOODSY1111 said:

O Donnell

Matthews

Golbourne

Flint

Baker

Pack

Bryan

Reid

Tomlin

Wilbraham

Kodjia

4 3 3 just attack, we have to out score them as  can't see us keeping them out!

Can you see us outscoring them though?

Most of Kodjia's goals came early in the season when he played with Wilbs along side him. I know people were slating Wilbs contribution at that time but he obviously took the pressure off Kodjia . Yes I know we weren't winning many then but we had that 3-5-2 system then that was not working. Whenever Wilbs comes on now he has Agard on with him, a completely different type of player to Kodjia. Why not try 4-4-2 with Kodjia and Wilbs up top to see if it releases Kodjia from being the target man.

9 minutes ago, WOODSY1111 said:

Defensively they are definitely poorer than us so yes!

But, as I pointed out on my 'Fulham's defence or ours' thread, the difference between their attack and our's, in terms of goals scored, is noticeably greater (23 goals) than the difference between the respective defences (they have conceded just the four more than us). It's a tricky one, but looks like another 1:4 loss to me, or, being optimistic, 2:4. Let's hope I'm wrong!

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

ROD

Matthews Flint Baker Golbourne

Agard Pack Bryan Freeman

Tomlin

Kodjia

I do wonder whether Agard on the right to allow Freeman to play left might be inspired....was great on the right side of a front three for RUFC.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I do wonder whether Agard on the right to allow Freeman to play left might be inspired....was great on the right side of a front three for RUFC.

Yup and if Freeman is whipping them in from the left we will have a goal scorer back post or in the box. He's got the work rate for it. In a team lacking goals I don't see the harm. Not like we have an aerial threat for crosses anyway(in open play) so him not crossing isn't much of an issue. 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yup and if Freeman is whipping them in from the left we will have a goal scorer back post or in the box. He's got the work rate for it. In a team lacking goals I don't see the harm. Not like we have an aerial threat for crosses anyway(in open play) so him not crossing isn't much of an issue. 

Liking it :D

Archived