IGNORED

Lee Tomlin - Signing?

Ian M

2 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

I agree. It is a concern as the likes of Baker & Tomlin are very good players at this level. I guess the only positive is LJ can rebuild the squad his way. I would love it if we can sign Tomlin on a permanent deal.

Yes good players, keen to keep esp for continuity in defense with baker. Tomlin would be great but not convinced it will happen - guess it's how Bournemouth see him fitting in. But if we were willing to splash >£5m on players then who knows

Would love to sign Tomlin, but Bournemouth paid £3.5M in the summer for him. I suppose they may be prepared to make a small loss on him given they look like staying up, but will we be prepared to pay £2M plus for a 27 year old, given what has be said by SL about buying players who are younger and will have sell on value?

3 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Would love to sign Tomlin, but Bournemouth paid £3.5M in the summer for him. I suppose they may be prepared to make a small loss on him given they look like staying up, but will we be prepared to pay £2M plus for a 27 year old, given what has be said by SL about buying players who are younger and will have sell on value?

I think we would, Bournemouth will want to recoup some of what they paid but he's burnt his bridges there. They won't get 3.5 for him from any championship clubs given his age and arguably questionable temperament (although he seems to have settled in well here). 

34 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Given the money floating around the premier league I don't think they'll be too concerned about whether they make a £1m loss or more. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Given the money floating around the premier league I don't think they'll be too concerned about whether they make a £1m loss or more. 

As I said, I think they'd be prepared to make a loss on him, but would still think they'd want around £2M.

Is SL happy to sanction that, and his wages, on a 27 year old who'd have no or little sell on value at the end of his contract?

Personally I hope he is, and I'd expect him to back LJ to the hilt if he wants him.

If we stay up, the prospect of starting next season with roughly the squad we have now, plus one or two additions (plus a full summer to have them settle) would certainly have me feeling more confident than this campaign.

Adding in only those loans who've spoke about being here next year, and with those out of contact gone, the following squad is a much more solid baseline to build on.

Fielding, O'Donnell

Golbourne, Little, Matthews, Ayling, William, Flint

Smith, Pack, Tomlin, Freeman, Bryan

Kodjia, Agard

That is even presuming Burns and Reid don't sign new deals.  

Gives us plenty space to build, and certainly a more solid base.  Need a Baker-esk defender and more strikers, but certainly not as bad as the basic line up we had last summer.

26 minutes ago, glynriley said:

As I said, I think they'd be prepared to make a loss on him, but would still think they'd want around £2M.

Is SL happy to sanction that, and his wages, on a 27 year old who'd have no or little sell on value at the end of his contract?

Personally I hope he is, and I'd expect him to back LJ to the hilt if he wants him.

I think he will. I don't see Tomlin declining with age significantly for some time yet; as Lee Johnson said 'he can bend it like Beckham, but he has to because he can't run'. For that reason I think there would still be sell on value on a 30/31 year old Tomlin. 

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I think he will. I don't see Tomlin declining with age significantly for some time yet; as Lee Johnson said 'he can bend it like Beckham, but he has to because he can't run'. For that reason I think there would still be sell on value on a 30/31 year old Tomlin. 

Interesting I would of thought the opposite. Clearly has a larger natural frame which will become harder to manage in time. 

Dont get me wrong I would sign him on a permanent all day long, wouldn't expect any sort of significant relay from selling him in his 30s though.

26 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Our first XI on yesterday ended with FOUR Premier League players. Of all of them would be happy to keep Baker, him and Flint another season they could be one hell of a centre-back partnership. 

I think we have a chance of keeping him , all be it a slim one. All depends on how many players Villa can shift, I imagine there are a lot of high earners and maybe no relegation clauses. They may need to get rid of some fringe players, all though he has good Championship experience Baker may be freed up to move if they end up stuck with some or most of their current first team.

18 hours ago, JonDolman said:

It will all come down to whether howe wants him. If not then will we agree a fee and then wages? I cant see it happening as there won't be as much of a sell on value for a player that is 27 and he would cost atleast a million, surely, plus high wages. Doesn't fit lansdowns strategy.

What a load of bollocks, the lads enjoying himself here, sign him up...

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What you on about? Lansdown has said they are looking at buying players below the age of 24. We'd have to spend a million or 2 to get him, plus the huge wages which would surely mean all the other players would be demanding that sort of money. Can't see it happening for those reasons.

Our last two permanent signings, O'Donnell and Golbourne are both 27...

So is Tomlin.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What you on about? Lansdown has said they are looking at buying players below the age of 24. We'd have to spend a million or 2 to get him, plus the huge wages which would surely mean all the other players would be demanding that sort of money. Can't see it happening for those reasons.

He also said there would be exceptions

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Sometimes reality bites IMO. This season has shown beyond doubt that you need experienced championship players to avoid struggling like we have. If we stay up, I don`t want another season like this just for the sake of a principle. a `reverse Michael Owen` if you like - if he`s good enough and wants to be here then his age is irrelevant. 27 is nothing in football terms - it`s not like we`re spunking a load of money on a 35 year old journeyman. If we paid say, 2m for him and moved him in two years for 500k that would still represent good championship business IMO. I will concede the wages issue though could be a stumbling block but can`t imagine Bournemouth are among the prem`s highest payers.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think we have a chance of keeping him , all be it a slim one. All depends on how many players Villa can shift, I imagine there are a lot of high earners and maybe no relegation clauses. They may need to get rid of some fringe players, all though he has good Championship experience Baker may be freed up to move if they end up stuck with some or most of their current first team.

If anything the fact Villa will be relegated means we will lose him. Has done well at this level and proven himself somewhat, and much of the current Villa squad, Ayew, Hutton, Gabby, Guzan, Richards etc. will be on good money and unlikely to want themselves to be at the club or the club have them on the books. 

1 minute ago, Chairman Mao said:

Suspect both were cheapish

They were, O'Donnell was a free and Golbourne around £300k, but the previous poster had said our policy was now to sign under 24 year olds.

When your last two signings are both 27 that is clearly not the case.

3 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

If anything the fact Villa will be relegated means we will lose him. Has done well at this level and proven himself somewhat, and much of the current Villa squad, Ayew, Hutton, Gabby, Guzan, Richards etc. will be on good money and unlikely to want themselves to be at the club or the club have them on the books. 

I think Villa will want to keep him. If they don`t, and do get rid of the high earners, they`ve only got to replace him like for like.

Whether he`ll want to stay there is another matter entirely though. We would pretty much be able to tell him the CB position is his and the defence would be built around the current back four - Matthews. Flint, Baker & Golbourne - and he has the potential to become a hero at AG if he wants to.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

They were, O'Donnell was a free and Golbourne around £300k, but the previous poster had said our policy was now to sign under 24 year olds.

We`ll never know of course but I wonder what Scott Golbourne`s wages were at Wolves. I suspect quite a bit more than we`re paying so it probably came down to regular football playing for `your` club. If so, a great attitude from him in today`s money obsessed football world.

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think Villa will want to keep him. If they don`t, and do get rid of the high earners, they`ve only got to replace him like for like.

Whether he`ll want to stay there is another matter entirely though. We would pretty much be able to tell him the CB position is his and the defence would be built around the current back four - Matthews. Flint, Baker & Golbourne - and he has the potential to become a hero at AG if he wants to.

Yeah exactly, not sure really in theory Villa is the best option to him, parachute payments, bigger club, bigger name. But maybe he buys into what we are doing at Ashton Gate and further afield. Plus him and Flint get on, Flint might be able to persuade him. 

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think when they cost as much as they did, in January it's understandable. In summer, with more time and the fact the askig price is 1.7 mil more I would be surprised if we go for him

21 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Yep, get that and agree. The straw I'm clutching at is that some of those players are being payed way more than any perspective buyer would be willing to pay and so they may not be able to shift some. This , I hope more than expect , may cause a few of the squad members to be moved on. Not sure how long the likes of Hutton and Richards, to name but two , have left on contracts but they may want to sit it out and earn a wage not available with a move.  Again , this is more hope than expectation.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Get in the real bloody world, we need players over the age of 24 for godsake, a player of Tomlins stature are crucial to us next year...

league 1 mentality, too many of our fans have it!!

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Is it that difficult to understand that I am saying I doubt we will manage to get him going by what lansdown has said in the past, not saying I don't want him! That's lansdown saying it, not me! Also not saying we don't need players over the age of 24, just that I doubt we will spend a fortune on them. Hope I'm wrong, but at the same time I also hope we don't end up like we did last time, spending a fortune and just to keep us in the championship for a while before getting relegated.

Lansdown also said we'd be challenging for top 6 next year, if we can stay in the championship with the new ground there's no longer any excuse is there?

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Is it that difficult to understand that I am saying I doubt we will manage to get him going by what lansdown has said in the past, not saying I don't want him! That's lansdown saying it, not me! Also not saying we don't need players over the age of 24, just that I doubt we will spend a fortune on them. Hope I'm wrong, but at the same time I also hope we don't end up like we did last time, spending a fortune and just to keep us in the championship for a while before getting relegated.

You're reading to much into something he said years ago. He said it would be priority to get younger players in, not that's all we would be getting. It can be guaranteed that if Tomlin becomes avaliable, and Johnson thinks he's the right man, Lansdown will pay.

Archived