IGNORED

Lee Tomlin - Signing?

Ian M

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think we have a chance of keeping him , all be it a slim one. All depends on how many players Villa can shift, I imagine there are a lot of high earners and maybe no relegation clauses. They may need to get rid of some fringe players, all though he has good Championship experience Baker may be freed up to move if they end up stuck with some or most of their current first team.

Isn't this the first season baker has played on a regular basis. He may be enjoying his time with us and want to stay. Clearly wages would be a concern, problem is villa will be in our league and the option may not exist. As soon as we know we're staying up, I hope the club sit down with him and see what his thoughts are 

If Baker signed a new contract with Villa last summer on something like £25k pw (quoted on here), is there any likelihood of Villa inserting a relegation clause?  They'd be foolish not to, but I think we know that perhaps they are!

What is a standard relegation clause? 20%?

If so, that would take it to £20k pw.....an awful lot of money....but I think the likes of Burnley (rumoured to be interested) would have no qualms about paying it.

Pains me to say it, but I think we are going to have to start offering these wages.  Can see us offering Flint another extension, unless we are planning to cash in?

Ditto re Tomlin.

Might also supplement with another 1 or 2 "quality" players, plus younger, cheaper waged players like Gilbey and Jamie Allen (Rochdale).

Tomlin seems to be enjoying himself here,you can see this just by watching Fulham game highlights .Some games I've seen him this season  not track back enough but in the highlights you  see him in our box near the end scrapping to get the ball away .

He would be an important signing if we did sign him as he is a leader,Has experience at this level  and other players appear to listen to his advice.  Unlike kilkennys pointing technique.

Regarding signing baker I'd be suprised if we signed him mainly because next season he would just be cover for Flint. Which with bakers wages we can't afford to do.  Neither Flint or Baker can play it out from the back and this is something we have missed all season.

when we are under the cosh and we play it straight back to the opposition You don't blame flint whooshing it as that a safer then attempting clever passes. It's something I'm sure LJ is aware of although not saying it will be easy to find a cb who can pass it out and have a bit more pace then flint . To me it's as important as a 20 goals a season  striker.

9 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Regarding signing baker I'd be suprised if we signed him mainly because next season he would just be cover for Flint. Which with bakers wages we can't afford to do.  Neither Flint or Baker can play it out from the back and this is something we have missed all season.

So you envisage us signing a better centre back than Baker / Flint?

I'm intrigued to know who you think this player may be?

I would be more than happy for us to sign Baker as I think he's more than good enough for this division.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move for Alfie Mawson (Barnsley) or to see us bring in someone from France / Spain through our new(ish) scouts.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If Baker signed a new contract with Villa last summer on something like £25k pw (quoted on here), is there any likelihood of Villa inserting a relegation clause?  They'd be foolish not to, but I think we know that perhaps they are!

What is a standard relegation clause? 20%?

If so, that would take it to £20k pw.....an awful lot of money....but I think the likes of Burnley (rumoured to be interested) would have no qualms about paying it.

Pains me to say it, but I think we are going to have to start offering these wages.  Can see us offering Flint another extension, unless we are planning to cash in?

Ditto re Tomlin.

Might also supplement with another 1 or 2 "quality" players, plus younger, cheaper waged players like Gilbey and Jamie Allen (Rochdale).

Burnley made a formal approach but Baker chose to stay with Villa and sign a new 3 yr contract having been at the club since age 8.

Villa have had about 11 managers in 5 yrs, are up for sale by an owner who lives full time in USA, are bleeding money ands will be in the Championship next season.This is a club in big trouble.

On the one hand, they will need to cash in assets and massively reduce the wage bill and on the other they need to sort out their defence for their first season back in 2nd tier since the 80's. Who better than one of their own?

Hopefully they'll be stupid enough to sell and we might be clever enough to buy.

6 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

So you envisage us signing a better centre back than Baker / Flint?

I'm intrigued to know who you think this player may be?

I would be more than happy for us to sign Baker as I think he's more than good enough for this division.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move for Alfie Mawson (Barnsley) or to see us bring in someone from France / Spain through our new(ish) scouts.

I did say In my post that LJ will find it hard to find a partner for Flint and lets make it clear I'm not slating Baker he has done great this season but Flint is a goal machine as well as brillliant at defending and isn't on crazy money and already a city player.  Also doesn't live some games on a knife edge.  

If we want to be a team challenging for the play offs next season  we need a pacey good cb who play it out from the back Imo . 

4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Unless someone higher up the Championship rankings makes a move for him, I guess that if the salary is right, he'll join us.  Can't imagine he'll be back in the Prem next season.

Assuming 20% relegation clause and on £25k now, we'd have to offer him at least £20k pw and a 3 year contract (because you have to offer at least what he is on now) plus a transfer fee.  I'd pay it, but would the club?  That's double (and more) the kind if money we pay to the permies.  Would expect a few to be tapping in the door for a renegotiation, e.g. Flint.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Assuming 20% relegation clause and on £25k now, we'd have to offer him at least £20k pw and a 3 year contract (because you have to offer at least what he is on now) plus a transfer fee.  I'd pay it, but would the club?  That's double (and more) the kind if money we pay to the permies.  Would expect a few to be tapping in the door for a renegotiation, e.g. Flint.

There's no rule stating you have to offer what a players already on. 

1 hour ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

There's no rule stating you have to offer what a players already on. 

I'm led to believe that you have to honour the contract they have, both wage and term (plus a fee if appropriate), unless the selling club terminate contract mutually with player....compensating player for an agreed sum.

Someone on here knows the exact rule, because they corrected me re El-Abd re going to Swindon.  I thought the same as you.  Now I know why no-one ever signed for me on Football Manager!

Cant believe Baker would want to terminate when he's gonna £3m over the next 3 years to get less with us!  He can quite easily play on loan again next season or Villa when they get relegated....or go to a club who will match (at least) his existing contract.

Obviously players who are out of contract in their last 6 months is a different kettle of fish.

5 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

I did say In my post that LJ will find it hard to find a partner for Flint and lets make it clear I'm not slating Baker he has done great this season but Flint is a goal machine as well as brillliant at defending and isn't on crazy money and already a city player.  Also doesn't live some games on a knife edge.  

If we want to be a team challenging for the play offs next season  we need a pacey good cb who play it out from the back Imo . 

11th July, Flint's birthday. Let's remember to get him a cake

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm led to believe that you have to honour the contract they have, both wage and term (plus a fee if appropriate), unless the selling club terminate contract mutually with player....compensating player for an agreed sum.

Someone on here knows the exact rule, because they corrected me re El-Abd re going to Swindon.  I thought the same as you.  Now I know why no-one ever signed for me on Football Manager!

Cant believe Baker would want to terminate when he's gonna £3m over the next 3 years to get less with us!  He can quite easily play on loan again next season or Villa when they get relegated....or go to a club who will match (at least) his existing contract.

Obviously players who are out of contract in their last 6 months is a different kettle of fish.

If the playing goes to the new club on a lower wage, the old club must pay the remainder of his contract. For example, if baker joined us at 15k a week, and he was on 20k a week at Villa, Villa must pay the remaining 5k a week for the rest of his old contract length.

28 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

If the playing goes to the new club on a lower wage, the old club must pay the remainder of his contract. For example, if baker joined us at 15k a week, and he was on 20k a week at Villa, Villa must pay the remaining 5k a week for the rest of his old contract length.

Yeah, that is correct.  Baker isn't worse off though, he still gets £20k pw.  I think the summer window, the loan market, the winter window, embargo has brought home how complex the world of transfers is.  Certainly not Amazon is it?

Cant imagine Villa will be short of offers for him though at whatever the wage...especially as they'll know his suitability at this level.

I'd take him though if we could persuade him and Villa.  Guess a lot will depend on what happens to the likes of Micah Richards etc.

Archived