IGNORED

What is, or was our greatest ever "away day"?

Jack Dawe

9 minutes ago, foghornred said:

Anfield has to go down as our best away performance but for real excitement it has to be Mansfield a game that only comes along once in a lifetime.  

If Mansfield never comes along again in my lifetime, I will die

I find it really difficult to separate the great away games I've been to as they were all special in their own unique way:

4-2 when we thumped 'em at Trumpton

1-0 at Anfield 

2-1 in the Cup at Leicester

2-1 at Palace in the play offs

3-1 at Sunderland in '92ish

4-0 at Birmingham in the 89/90 season

1-0 at Portsmouth in the 98/99 season

I loved them all; I even loved drawing 1-1 at Charlton a few years back. 

Probably Palace in the playoffs. 

Though I have a soft spot for a 1-4 win at Brentford in the John Ward promotion season, that I don't think has been mentioned. Packed terrace, good fun. Plus we'd lost in the playoffs at Griffin Park the previous season, so this put that behind us. 

18 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

My favourite of all time! 

I dread to think how many hundreds of pounds of expensive clothing was lost to the anti climb paint on the fences in the away end that day! Great trip.

In addition to those already mentioned, Vetch Field 1990 was pretty special too. Super Bob laying waste to them and a vociferous away support, the natives were not best pleased!

3 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I dread to think how many hundreds of pounds of expensive clothing was lost to the anti climb paint on the fences in the away end that day! Great trip.

In addition to those already mentioned, Vetch Field 1990 was pretty special too. Super Bob laying waste to them and a vociferous away support, the natives were not best pleased!

Beat me to it Mr Stortz.

How we laughed!

11 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I will always remember this crazy hardcore rocker  City fan in a Metallica t-shirt. Someone I wouldn't normally associate with watching football going absolutely insane throughout the match. Raining bottles of piss and coins, away end packed out and a win to send us top. 

I enjoyed Saturday. The support from our fans even after we went behind, plus the last minute winner helped make it a special day. Plus the relegation battle context.

Eastville cup match in 1983 stands out for me. We were the underdogs, we came from behind like Saturday and the terrace was packed. 

League cup semi at Forest was great although it was only the first leg so not quite as special (as the second leg proved).

I'll also never forget Liverpool, Mansfield and Palace but only from afar (radio or TV).

2 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Cardiff 1 Bristol City 3, 2001. Thread closed!

absolute carnage! From start to finish!

I'm not showing my age but I do look back on that game fondly.

The things you do with reckless abandon when you're in your early twenties.

On a personal level, Watford in 98.

Plymouth in 96. 

Eye openers that had me hooked.

57 minutes ago, redfred said:

I find it really difficult to separate the great away games I've been to as they were all special in their own unique way:

4-2 when we thumped 'em at Trumpton

1-0 at Anfield 

2-1 in the Cup at Leicester

2-1 at Palace in the play offs

3-1 at Sunderland in '92ish

4-0 at Birmingham in the 89/90 season

1-0 at Portsmouth in the 98/99 season

I loved them all; I even loved drawing 1-1 at Charlton a few years back. 

I asked for our greatest, not a list. You have to decide, pick one please

4 minutes ago, eardun said:

I enjoyed Saturday. The support from our fans even after we went behind, plus the last minute winner helped make it a special day. Plus the relegation battle context.

Eastville cup match in 1983 stands out for me. We were the underdogs, we came from behind like Saturday and the terrace was packed. 

League cup semi at Forest was great although it was only the first leg so not quite as special (as the second leg proved).

I'll also never forget Liverpool, Mansfield and Palace but only from afar (radio or TV).

Lovely. And the greatest is......?

3 for me - Mansfield just couldn't believe City could pull off something like that. Trouble as well afterwards - very bizarre as little pockets of fighting seemingly dotted around the side streets! Cardiff when Scotty gave them hell - never known an atmosphere like it! So sweet to turn them over in their back yard and in the space of 5 minutes too ! You could tell they were not happy at the end!!! And of course Anfield - listening to that commentary earlier of good old Mr Tottle brings a shiver to me now! Leicester in the cup was good too

Coventry 77 for me, no contest.

Have to confess to missing a fair few of the ones above. Ones that stick in the mind for me as well, are not the hugely significant ones in themselves, but games like, ironically again, Coventry last year. Decent crowd, good away win, still playing the songs in your mind as you try to get to sleep. Couple like that a season and I am a happy chappie.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And the worst fog I've ever driven in , on the Motorway home - visibility about 20 Yds !!!

We even managed to go the wrong way on the wrong side of one bit of the motorway due to the fog! Scary stuff!

And when we eventually got back to Bristol, "Keeping the Dream Alive" was playing on the car radio...will never forget that and the poignancy of that song!

Archived