IGNORED

What is, or was our greatest ever "away day"?

Jack Dawe

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

All respect to Big John, mate, but surely to God we can do better than Shrewsbury away?

It's the occasion, and the context, not the team that counts. Picture it, Easter 1965, and City are out of the promotion race. On  Easter Monday afternoon, all the other teams unexpectedly lose. City play on the evening, so "only" have to win against Shrewsbury away, Shrewsbury home the following night (crazy scheduling) and home to Oldham on Saturday to be promoted on goal average  

Brian Clark scores early to put City 1-0 up, but Shrewsbary equalise and City are under the cosh until half time. It looks like doom and gloom - promotion is slipping away. But who comes to the rescue in the second half? Big John with 4 goals.  Followed by 3-0 win the following evening and 2-0 against Oldham on Saturday. 

What made this even more memorable was the journey there and back was in the days before motorways. From what I can remember it was a 24 hour round trip by stagecoach 

Liverpool, Bradford in cup even though we came back minus 2 windows on our coach, Hereford when we started our climb back, Chester when we got promoted, the 1.0 down 2.1up we knocked rovers out the cup game at east vile, Palace in play offs but Coventry in div 1 with 15k away fans for a league fixture will never happen again, that has to be the best ever

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It's the occasion, and the context, not the team that counts. Picture it, Easter 1965, and City are out of the promotion race. On  Easter Monday afternoon, all the other teams unexpectedly lose. City play on the evening, so "only" have to win against Shrewsbury away, Shrewsbury home the following night (crazy scheduling) and home to Oldham on Saturday to be promoted on goal average  

Brian Clark scores early to put City 1-0 up, but Shrewsbary equalise and City are under the cosh until half time. It looks like doom and gloom - promotion is slipping away. But who comes to the rescue in the second half? Big John with 4 goals.  Followed by 3-0 win the following evening and 2-0 against Oldham on Saturday. 

What made this even more memorable was the journey there and back was in the days before motorways. From what I can remember it was a 24 hour round trip by stagecoach 

You are stretching the boundaries of "away daythere!

3 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Cardiff 1 Bristol City 3, 2001. Thread closed!

absolute carnage! From start to finish!

I often wonder what happen to the young bloke in front of me that got hit in the head by a brick that was destined for my boat race as we came out the away end that day. If your reading this it was a horrible moment and I thank you sir!

10 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

I often wonder what happen to the young bloke in front of me that got hit in the head by a brick that was destined for my boat race as we came out the away end that day. If your reading this it was a horrible moment and I thank you sir!

I was hit in the face by a flying brick as we walked out of Ninian Park after that game, although I doubt I was the only one...but it could have been me!

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Every one of those mentioned was superb and I wouldn`t have missed any of them for the world but for me it has to be Bradford in the league cup. Just because of how early we scored and had to hang on to it for 88 minutes and we never stopped singing for one single minute.

If I remember correctly didn't Leroy Rosenior play at the back to nullify the threat of the gigantic Kevin Francis?

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Every one of those mentioned was superb and I wouldn`t have missed any of them for the world but for me it has to be Bradford in the league cup. Just because of how early we scored and had to hang on to it for 88 minutes and we never stopped singing for one single minute.

I agree! And that wasn't a bad Bradford side, they knocked out Everton and Spurs on the way to playing us in the quarter final...

3 hours ago, brady bunch said:

I remember going to Bolton away, many years ago, towards the end of the season (I think to see Joe Jordan's team get promotion and the great Bobby Taylor score is 30th / 40th goal of that season). There were thousands of city fans there.

It ended up a nightmare, we lost, I think Taylor got injured and never scored and I think we finally got promotion whilst not playing and another team (notts county?) lost in a mid week fixture.....

The cider has rotted the memory a bit and I have not bother to check my facts (in keeping with this forum!)

Fulham on Saturday was awesome, defo up there with the best I can remember...

I think this was the Saturday before losing at Twerton.  If it is the one I am thinking of, it was chaos before and after, and I recall legging it back to the station with police horses trying to separate home and away fans down the main road into town.

As to the original question, of away days I have attended down the years, Hirst at Eastville, the Jacki Leicester cup game, Palace in the play-offs, and Anfield all spring to mind.  But for one moment of pure euphoria, Noble's winner at Palace was immense.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Most of mine have been covered above, but I will add Chester away  when we got promotion from the 4th division. We had the real bad times over the previous few years and it was a great reward for all of us who stuck with the club.

It's my favourite too, mainly because it was my first ever away game. My parents and and I were on a coach hired by the old Dolman Bar.

15 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Before Leroys time.

no it wasn't.  Leroy dominated him and we won 4-0.  but he has the game not the player mixedup.  Kevin Francis was playing for stockport.  Next round after the Liverpool win

3 minutes ago, TRL said:

no it wasn't.  Leroy dominated him and we won 4-0.  but he has the game not the player mixedup.  Kevin Francis was playing for stockport.  Next round after the Liverpool win

Never mind all that, what's your greatest?

Crawley 2014....dead rubber, Shite game, Weird atmosphere followed by all of us falling about laughing when league 2 results came through..... 

In all seriousness, for me it has to be last season at Bradford but then I'm not showing as many years as most who have already posted.

It has to be Coventry 77, was it 15000 there? Who knows - 35000 official attendance but it was pay on the night and we were in 3 sides of the ground, could have been more. We arrived at 5 pm and the queues were massive already.

The sheer emotion and the noise - when we went 2 down 15/20 thousand or whatever it was refused to give in and the sheer noise drove the team on to safety, I was literally screaming at my mate next to me and he couldn't hear me.

Nothing will ever top that night.

Forest league cup, Chester, Wallsall play off all fantastic, missed Anfield - but anyone privileged to be at Highfield Road knows how special it was.

Coventry 2-2 the best. 2-0 down  with about 20 mins to go and all looking lost. Great revival to 2-2. News came in Sinderland game had finished and a draw would suit both teams.

ridiculous final 5 mins as both teams pretty much retreated to their own half and back passes to the keeper cheered by both sets of fans.

i am sure the ref blew the final whistle early to stop the farce.

will never forget that night.

Strange isn't it? The vast majority of Club's fans would be saying 'oh the victory here' 'the victory there' or 'winning this cup or that trophy'... our favourite match in the last 50 years is a 2-2 draw that saved us from relegation!

Probably shows why our Club and fans are so unique.

Just got to love 'em, 'though God knows why!

Sunderland 1-1 City in September 98. I was in with the home fans. What a rush when Soren Anderson? scored from the edge of the box in the 88th minute.  Lept out my seat and was politley told by a couple of hundred to sit down and shut up. How that game ever finished 1-1. Could of easily been double figures by half time.

Also Bradford last season with my boys. If that doesn't get them into City for life, then nothing will.

For me id have to go for 

Fulham Saturday, doesn't get much better 

Bradford last season, beautiful sunny evening watching us stroll into the championship. 

Crawley away last year was great, late winner and loads of City packed in a small away end

Was only 8 for Mansfield game in 02 but can just remember the scenes

Archived