IGNORED

What is, or was our greatest ever "away day"?

Jack Dawe

Was it:

Fulham, Saturday?

Bradford last season?

Anfield 94?

Mansfield 2002?*

Forest '89?

Millwall 84?

Old Trafford Apr 1909, Feb '75 or Oct '78? (Or any of our wins there :cool:)

Cov '77?

Arsenil '76?

Leeds '74?

Some other game before all these, for which we will need the likes of @slartibartfast, @Ivorguy or @cidered aboroad to help us to remember?

*it wasn't Mansfield 2002. You're not permitted to say Mansfield 2002. Pick one of the bigger teams.

It was the most I've enjoyed an away day in about 10 years.

My favourite away day was Watford in the play off season when Byfield scored a last minute winner. I lived in Watford at the time so got to stick it at my Watford mates. Went to a work Xmas night that evening and won a BBQ! That's tough to beat!

I remember going to Bolton away, many years ago, towards the end of the season (I think to see Joe Jordan's team get promotion and the great Bobby Taylor score is 30th / 40th goal of that season). There were thousands of city fans there.

It ended up a nightmare, we lost, I think Taylor got injured and never scored and I think we finally got promotion whilst not playing and another team (notts county?) lost in a mid week fixture.....

The cider has rotted the memory a bit and I have not bother to check my facts (in keeping with this forum!)

Fulham on Saturday was awesome, defo up there with the best I can remember...

Does Palace away in the PO count as well?  That was pretty mental (and hot)

Travelling in numbers and winning away is something City don't tend to do much (always seems to be the reverse at AG),...

Rovers in '83 and Liverpool were both rather special.

Saturday was right up there tbh.

Not sure anything can ever beat a warm and sunny evening in Bradford…good curry followed by a 6-0 win to clinch promotion. One of the few away matches I've ever felt able to relax at!

1901/02 City's first ever Football League match; a 2-0 win at Blackpool.

1930/31 Everton with Dixie Dean had dropped into Div 2. They won 1-0 at the Gate, but City went to Goodison and won 3-1.

1974-75 doing the double over Man U. Both games were 1-0 and that 1975 result gave me more pleasure than winning 3-1 at OT in Div 1 a few year later.

My personal favourite though is August 76; Arsenal 0 - City 1. With the 2nd favourite being in the 82-83 season. City won 3-1 at Hereford and climbed off the bottom of the League and we knew City were on the way back.

As others have posted; the other great result from 74-75, Rovers 1 - City 4 (Rovers had been 1-0 up at HT), the draw at Coventry in 1977, the 5-4 win at Mansfield, the '74 cup game at Leeds, the '94 cup game at Anfield and last season's 6-0 at Bradford. Then of course there was that FACup game when City were in Div 4 and Rovers in Div 3. Again they were 1-0 up at HT, but City bounced back to win 2-1.

26 minutes ago, 22A said:

1901/02 City's first ever Football League match; a 2-0 win at Blackpool.

1930/31 Everton with Dixie Dean had dropped into Div 2. They won 1-0 at the Gate, but City went to Goodison and won 3-1.

1974-75 doing the double over Man U. Both games were 1-0 and that 1975 result gave me more pleasure than winning 3-1 at OT in Div 1 a few year later.

My personal favourite though is August 76; Arsenal 0 - City 1. With the 2nd favourite being in the 82-83 season. City won 3-1 at Hereford and climbed off the bottom of the League and we knew City were on the way back.

As others have posted; the other great result from 74-75, Rovers 1 - City 4 (Rovers had been 1-0 up at HT), the draw at Coventry in 1977, the 5-4 win at Mansfield, the '74 cup game at Leeds, the '94 cup game at Anfield and last season's 6-0 at Bradford. Then of course there was that FACup game when City were in Div 4 and Rovers in Div 3. Again they were 1-0 up at HT, but City bounced back to win 2-1.

How old are you to have seen the first ever away game!

In terms of games when I was actually at the ground it has to be Anfield in 1994.

The 5-4 win at Mansfield was also fantastic. I know it wasn't a big game but the I've never seen anything else like it and the feeling of elation (and disbelief) when the winner went in was amazing - especially seeing as the Mansfield fans had been goading us when they were 4-2 up only minutes before. Quite a feisty atmosphere at that game from what I remember.

I wasn't at Eastville in 83 or at the 4-2 Trumpton win but I vividly remember listening to them on the radio and dancing around in delight.

The Bradford game last season was another one when I wasn't at the match and I felt too nervous to listen to the radio until the second half when the rout was well underway. Up until then I'd been constantly refreshing the BBC website to keep an eye on the score. It felt a bit unreal when all those goals went in. When Radio Bristol played "One for the Bristol City" after the match I'll admit to there being a tear in my eye.

Fulham was a good day, nothing more than that. 

Absolute light years off being a 'special'.

Notable ones for me in some type of order, Coventry 2-2 ( for those not present, multiply Saturday by a factor of five in terms of City numbers, the intensity, importance - doubt that will ever be repeated), Arsenal 1-0 then a gaggle of the Gas league, FA Cup and early Glos Cup matches (particularly enjoyed the 5-0), Forest (League C semi), followed by some decent days out like Swindle (as mentioned - that's the one when Millwall turned up), Brum (4-1), then some lesser ones likeWarsaw, Chester and the likes.

Don't think these 'young'uns' realise just what they've missed in terms of truly special football away days.

32 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

19 April 1965. Shrewsbury 1 City 5. John Atyeo scores 4 second half goals and promotion is only 2 wins away. Nothing to beat that. 

All respect to Big John, mate, but surely to God we can do better than Shrewsbury away?

Archived