IGNORED

Just how carp are Man City?

reddogkev

19 hours ago, cityexile said:

Do not follow the premiership to much, but would find it amusing to see both Manchester players miss out on the top four. A derby nowadays for them consists of is our Spaniard better than your Argentinian, or whatever. 

You're that out of touch it's no longer called the Premiership. It's now the Premier league. Sorry to be pedantic. 

To argue your case a young Salford lad got the winner yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

You're that out of touch it's no longer called the Premiership. It's now the Premier league. Sorry to be pedantic. 

To argue your case a young Salford lad got the winner yesterday. 

Granted he should of got a pen but disappointing to see him throwing himself to the ground time after time.

19 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Indeed; a far cry from 2007-08, when we had three of the four Champions League semi-finalists. People talk about the Premier League as the "greatest league in the world" - in reality, Aguero is probably the only one of the world's top 15 or 20 players who plays here now.

Absolutely, all of the 'world class' players either got old and retired or went to a Barcelona or Bayern. Maybe on their day we have a few world class players, Aguero, Kompany, De Gea, De Bruyne and 3 or 4 others. 

5 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I get the part where you say he took over 2 world class sides.

But it's his tactical awareness that has taken those sides to a different level that sets him apart.He's made the football pitch bigger without making a football pitch bigger, if you get what I mean.

Maybe I am being too harsh. Yeah understandable what you're saying. He encourages his players to move towards the ball, rather than players spreading out waiting for the pass. He encourages such basic football any team could do it. Move towards the ball, receive the ball, look again for an incoming player, and pass. Keep doing this until a slot is open to either have a shot on target, or towards a man running towards goal.

44 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Absolutely, all of the 'world class' players either got old and retired or went to a Barcelona or Bayern. Maybe on their day we have a few world class players, Aguero, Kompany, De Gea, De Bruyne and 3 or 4 others. 

Harry Kane is getting close.

Only the 5th Englishman to score 20 goals in consecutive Premier League seasons I believe. That's some going for a 22 year old.

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Harry Kane is getting close.

Only the 5th Englishman to score 20 goals in consecutive Premier League seasons I believe. That's some going for a 22 year old.

Yeah he is getting close for sure, can score in the big games too. Him and Vardy top of the top scorer charts makes it good reading for the English game. 

21 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Can't even score against Norwich.

Can't even beat Man ure.

Humiliated by Leicester.

Will they finish out of the top 4 this season?  The Hammers to pip them?

And they spent 50 million on Sterling... ha ha ha!

My god, Pep's got his work cut out for him!

Did you lose on a accumulator

21 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Can't even score against Norwich.

Can't even beat Man ure.

Humiliated by Leicester.

Will they finish out of the top 4 this season?  The Hammers to pip them?

And they spent 50 million on Sterling... ha ha ha!

My god, Pep's got his work cut out for him!

Im not sure , but the name of this thread tells me something fishy is going on there !

What really is world class, because I think it has been diluted in recent times?

To many good players are all too easily talked up to be world class, when they are nothing of the sort. The amount of money sloshing around at the top end of the game has created a situation whereby the general public feed on news/information/gossip/speculation about top flight football. This in turn creates an industry in itself, with journos   and pundits on Tv and radio feeding the insatiable appetites prepared to take it all in. 

You only have to look at something like Talksport to see this in action. (For Talksport, read TalkPremierLeague). Guys like Durham provoke fans to phone in and how often do you hear fans of the top clubs saying that where their club has gone wrong is not signing world class players, and they then trot out the names of these so called world class players they should be buying ( some of whom I confess I have often hardly heard of). You can bet your boots that agents are feeding into the media and talking up their players, as they want to create the next big money move and a player being regarded as "world class" adds a load of millions to transfer value and also wages, all of which adds to the amount going into the agents' pockets.

Even on OTIB we get posts about who we should be signing and quite often it an obscure player from league 1 that the poster believes is the next big thing, but we've all seen a catalogue of the "next big thing" come and go to and from Ashton Gate.

There is far too much hyperbole in football nowadays, and too many fans and TV viewers ( not necessarily the same thing) swallow it hook line and sinker, so believe their club has to pay £65m as a fee and offer £200,000+ per week wages in order to attract such and such a player, because they've been told he's world class. How many top players now measure their success by the size of their bank balance but not by what they have achieved in the game? A few years ago the rewards followed on from success but it often now seems to be the other way around.

Me cynical? You bet.

Just read Richard hairy hands Keys blog and he points out a interesting stat. 

Chelsea , Arsenal  , Man City, Man U , Liverpool and Everton have a smaller combined points total than Leicester, Stoke,Bournemouth, Watford, Southampton and West Ham ...!  Imagine the odds on that in August  .

Archived