IGNORED

Just how carp are Man City?

reddogkev

That's what happens when you sack the manager (but please stay untill the end of season). Just remember every time you fill up with petrol some of that money goes to Man City, bloody arabs!!! Hope they fail big time. Pep will arrive but they won't be in Europe next year ha ha, and their stadium is owned by the council.

10 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Symptomatic of how piss poor the Premier League is. A shadow of what it was 5-10 years ago.

You say that, however from a neutral's perspective (I have absolutely no affiliation with any team other than Bristol City), the fact that the Premier League is so open this year makes it fascinating. I've been far more interested in Premier League results this season than for a long time, mainly because it is currently really difficult to predict any result.

11 hours ago, downendcity said:

On the same phone in the presenter said that this summer Man U, Chelsea and Man City will be having a major clear out of players and then asked Wrighty where will all these players then go and how will they be replaced with all the major clubs chasing after the same top players.

That really hits the nail on the head as far as top flight football is concerned. You can give the clubs ever increasing TV deals, but you cannot overnight make more world class players. All that will happen is that in their desperation to "buy" instant success, the clubs will create a sellers market meaning that even more relatively average players will be paid ever more overinflated salaries.

Absolutely. More TV money doesn't make for better competition, it just makes for richer footballers

The only thing I'd say is that by accident rather than design, van Gaal seems to have brought through a group of very talented young players at ManUre, which might at least save them buying a load of overpaid dross to bulk out the squad. Oh, except Jose is on his way and there's nothing he despises more than talented young players who don't cost loads of money, so that'll be the end of that! 

1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

You say that, however from a neutral's perspective (I have absolutely no affiliation with any team other than Bristol City), the fact that the Premier League is so open this year makes it fascinating. I've been far more interested in Premier League results this season than for a long time, mainly because it is currently really difficult to predict any result.

I agree mate, it's also good to see a lot of young English talent is getting a chance to show what they can do.

12 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

They are a group of footballers, but not a football team.

When you think how much money both Manchester clubs have spent on players, it's laughable just how poor both teams are!

Both in the top 6, both in with a chance of a top 4 finish......

If you're talking "poor" just take a look at Chelsea.....:sad26:

Half of those players know they will be gone once Pep comes in and have downed tools. I have seen some piss poor performances before but not sure any as bad as Demichelis yesterday. Also for a big derby game the atmosphere was shocking.

The problem with Manchester City lies within their own arsenal. Money.

Players are not joining the club because of how fantastic it is, or the history of Manchester City, which is pretty non existent. It's all because of how much they can earn a week. They're not playing for the club, the fans, but chasing the money. Hence they lack players with battle and true desire to play for the club.

If you're a footballer, and you have the likes of Barcelona or Real Madrid interested in you, by god how excited would you be and how determined would you be to show you are good enough to be a part of that squad and starting eleven. I would not have that same feeling if Manchester City came after me. I'd thinking more how much would they be offering me.

Look at Alex Fergusons Manchester United. He didn't have world class players, but he had players who came together as a world class team. Wanted to play for the manager, the fans, the club, and become part of it's rich history. AF most of the time, brought in players with the correct attitude and mind set to get more than 100% from each and every one of them. City do not have that and will never have that in my opinion. Manchester City will never replicate their neighbours no matter who is in charge or how much money they throw at players. Has nothing to do with money, you cannot buy motivation or desire.

Leicester for example, the players are playing way above their level. But with the correct mind set and believe you accomplish anything and they are proving that. They give 100% each week, does not matter if they play Manchester City or Aston Villa. They respect each team, and understand they cannot just stroll in to the game expecting 3 points.

Even next season under PG I think City will struggle again and will be fighting it out for the 3rd or 4th place. Don't understand the hype over PG took over 2 world class sides and pushed them on a bit further. This will be by far his biggest test, and I do not think it will go well for him.

1 hour ago, Red_Wizard said:

The problem with Manchester City lies within their own arsenal. Money.

Players are not joining the club because of how fantastic it is, or the history of Manchester City, which is pretty non existent. It's all because of how much they can earn a week. They're not playing for the club, the fans, but chasing the money. Hence they lack players with battle and true desire to play for the club.

If you're a footballer, and you have the likes of Barcelona or Real Madrid interested in you, by god how excited would you be and how determined would you be to show you are good enough to be a part of that squad and starting eleven. I would not have that same feeling if Manchester City came after me. I'd thinking more how much would they be offering me.

Look at Alex Fergusons Manchester United. He didn't have world class players, but he had players who came together as a world class team. Wanted to play for the manager, the fans, the club, and become part of it's rich history. AF most of the time, brought in players with the correct attitude and mind set to get more than 100% from each and every one of them. City do not have that and will never have that in my opinion. Manchester City will never replicate their neighbours no matter who is in charge or how much money they throw at players. Has nothing to do with money, you cannot buy motivation or desire.

Leicester for example, the players are playing way above their level. But with the correct mind set and believe you accomplish anything and they are proving that. They give 100% each week, does not matter if they play Manchester City or Aston Villa. They respect each team, and understand they cannot just stroll in to the game expecting 3 points.

Even next season under PG I think City will struggle again and will be fighting it out for the 3rd or 4th place. Don't understand the hype over PG took over 2 world class sides and pushed them on a bit further. This will be by far his biggest test, and I do not think it will go well for him.

I get the part where you say he took over 2 world class sides.

But it's his tactical awareness that has taken those sides to a different level that sets him apart.He's made the football pitch bigger without making a football pitch bigger, if you get what I mean.

13 hours ago, reddogkev said:

That is a fascinating point, you have to wonder if the pot of world-class players is diminishing?  You've now got at least ten or twelve super-rich clubs around Europe chasing the same group of players, and you can add China to the mix.  It also fascinates me that AC Milan have not achieved anything substantial for at least 10 years now, perhaps more, yet they were a true giant of the game.

Not enough top class players to go around anymore.... where is the next big batch of talent coming from?

It sure isn't coming from within Europe.

Is South America still producing world-class Brazilians or Argentinians?

Not for years now.  They are being knocked out much cheaper in sweat shops in China.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

So, do you think that clubs spending hundreds of millions of pounds  just to try and scrape into the top 4 is a success?

Who said anything about having millions to spend equals success? Point is the PL is awash with money and many of the top clubs have billionaire owners as well.

They cant all be Champions. Success for the also rans is qualifying for Europe and both Manchester clubs are in with a shout as are the two North London clubs.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

So, do you think that clubs spending hundreds of millions of pounds  just to try and scrape into the top 4 is a success?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Who said anything about having millions to spend equals success? 

When is answering a question with another question ever answering the question (the initial one)?

From a neutral POV. Man City get a fully fit Kompany they will be fine. Man Utd...were better last season generally but Van Gaal giving young players a crack that is one thing he can take credit for and has done right through his career.

PL in general. I think it's great so many 'lesser' sides in and around the CL places and of course Leicester. Really refreshing.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Why don't you lot grow up?   

RR

You just know what's coming, don't you?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! :whistle::)

P.S. The obvious answer to your question is  no!

Archived