IGNORED

Kane to be top scorer at Euro's?

reddogkev

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

The lad's been on fire for a few seasons now.

I can see England reaching the semi-finals, and Kane scoring at least 5 or 6. 

Who's his main competition and how far do you reckon England will progress?

Under Hodgson we will do well to get out of the group.

Sadly can't see anything other than the usual England underachievement. We've always had good individuals yet always poor as a team in tournaments.

As and when we face anyone with real technical quality, the lack of investment in young English players will show up again. 

2 minutes ago, Super said:

I feel the same. He is the Football Associations Yes man, we have a poor defence which will cost us again.

Hodgson will choose the likes of Smalling, Jones and Carrick to play because of the club they play for and not on form yet again. We will struggle to beat Wales.

This will be Roy's first XI at the Euros

Hart

Walker.       Smalling.     Cahill.      Bertrand

Henderson. Milner. 

Sterling.        Barkley.       Welbeck

Rooney 

• Admin
24 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

I feel the same. He is the Football Associations Yes man, we have a poor defence which will cost us again.

Hodgson will choose the likes of Smalling, Jones and Carrick to play because of the club they play for and not on form yet again. We will struggle to beat Wales.

Say what you like about the others but Smalling has had a very good season. 

14 minutes ago, RedDave said:

This will be Roy's first XI at the Euros

Hart

Walker.       Smalling.     Cahill.      Bertrand

Henderson. Milner. 

Sterling.        Barkley.       Welbeck

Rooney 

I'd sack Roy on the spot if he doesn't start with Kane and Vardy!

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I'm not sure he'll start Vardy, but he should definitely start Kane. I also think that as long as he doesn't burn out, Dele Ali will also start in midfield. Other than that, I suspect we'll have the usual smattering of top 4 players regardless of how well they've played this season

Under anybody England would do well to get out of the group.

No English player could be considered to be the best in their position in Europe.

Light years behind now.

Highlighted by Leicester manfully leading the Premier League. They would not get in the top six in Spain or compete with the best in Germany or Italy. In England they can.

41 minutes ago, Super said:

It would be some achievement to not get out of a group seeing as only 8 get shelved at the group stage.

28 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I'm not sure he'll start Vardy, but he should definitely start Kane. I also think that as long as he doesn't burn out, Dele Ali will also start in midfield. Other than that, I suspect we'll have the usual smattering of top 4 players regardless of how well they've played this season

And don't forget Jack Wilshire, who will probably only have to play 9 seconds of football for Roy to make him a nailed on starter.

25 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

No English player could be considered to be the best in their position in Europe.

Light years behind now.

Highlighted by Leicester manfully leading the Premier League. They would not get in the top six in Spain or compete with the best in Germany or Italy. In England they can.

I think you might be surprised about how well Leicester would do in Spain - apart from Barca and the two Madrid teams and - maybe - Seville, the rest of La Liga is distinctly average. I am not suggesting that they would win it by any stretch but top 6 would be a possibility.

Would probably gain a similar position in Germany and Italy too.

In terms of the Euro's and as someone from the only country in the UK not going, I hope all the UK teams and the RoI do well. Sadly, and I do mean that, I doubt England will go too far in the competition. The main reason for that is the intensity of the EPL means that English players arrive at tournaments exhausted in comparison to the other countries and, has been mentioned above, the manager will select the wrong team, as he always does.There is no way that Rooney should start ahead of Kane and Vardy, but I guarantee he will if he is fit.

It will be interesting to see how England do against Germany this weekend and the team that he selects.

37 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Light years behind now.

Light years behind the best in Europe for sure, but there's no excuses for not getting out of that group. 

48 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Top four players? So that's Kane, Drinkwater, Alli and Vardy then plus le Arse lot

Much more confident in this squad to do well, lots of younger players no over the hill players. 

Wales have bale and ramsay, the rest are a mix of mid level prem and championship players. He should be beating these.

Up front we have pace and skill to burn, defence is a concern though. The Germans and Spanish will contest for winners, we'll be in quarter/semis mix with Italy,  France and Belgium. 

Lots to be optimistic about (if) woy goes with form and we play without fear.

"I think you might be surprised about how well Leicester would do in Spain"

Yes they would not be top, or second, or third, or fourth. In the mediocre EPL they are prospering.

"I doubt England will go too far in the competition. The main reason for that is"

Technical ability. The lack of it. Same every time. It is why the top leagues in Europe do not want English players. Too expensive and too limited.

"The Manger will select"

An XI of bang average. That is all any Manager - Coach could do.

2 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Should of got sacked after the world cup.

If it was me:

Hart

Trippier Smalling Stones Cresswell

Dier Alli

Walcott Barkley Sterling(who else?)

Kane

Butland, Rooney(he going so may as well put him here), Henderson, Cahill, Walker, Shaw/Bertrand, Milner, Sturridge, Welbeck, Oxlade Chamberlin, Forster and a few others I can't think of off hand to compete for subs. 

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

I think you might be surprised about how well Leicester would do in Spain - apart from Barca and the two Madrid teams and - maybe - Seville, the rest of La Liga is distinctly average. I am not suggesting that they would win it by any stretch but top 6 would be a possibility.

La Liga has 3 sides in the last 8 of the Champions League (Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid). Then there are 3 Spanish teams in the last 8 of the Europa League (Bilbao, Sevilla and Villareal). It is the strongest league in Europe and Leicester would probably be mid table there, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

He definitely won't play both IMO

Dele Ali would be the first name on the team sheet for me unless he has a rapid decline in form -. provides about 2/3 of Kane's Assists at the moment

Outstanding talent - have to be honest didn't realise how good he was - his decision making is fantastic and, for a young player unbelievable !

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

Say what you like about the others but Smalling has had a very good season. 

Phil Jones will be the best central defender at the tournament

Michael Carrick is every bit as good as Pirlo whilst able to fill in easily in central defence

Real Madrid would have Kyle Walker at right back in a heart beat if he was interested

We have more quality left backs than any one at the Euros

John Stones would walk into any other defence at the Euros

13 minutes ago, RedJim said:

La Liga has 3 sides in the last 8 of the Champions League (Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid). Then there are 3 Spanish teams in the last 8 of the Europa League (Bilbao, Sevilla and Villareal). It is the strongest league in Europe and Leicester would probably be mid table there, in my opinion.

A fair comparison would be if those 3 sides struggled like Man City, Arsenal and Man United have.

If any one of those clubs had a decent season Leicester wouldn't be top.

2 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Is this the same Smalling who has been outstanding all season?

Archived