IGNORED

Kane to be top scorer at Euro's?

reddogkev

6 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Is this the same Smalling who has been outstanding all season?

And the same Smalling who is apart of England's worst defence in years.

He would have been no where near the squad in any other era. Not tough enough to stop the World's best.

36 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

If it was me:

Hart

Trippier Smalling Stones Cresswell

Dier Alli

Walcott Barkley Sterling(who else?)

Kane

Butland, Rooney(he going so may as well put him here), Henderson, Cahill, Walker, Shaw/Bertrand, Milner, Sturridge, Welbeck, Oxlade Chamberlin, Forster and a few others I can't think of off hand to compete for subs. 

Nowhere near ready for International football yet, IMO. A mistake waiting to happen.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Phil Jones will be the best central defender at the tournament

Michael Carrick is every bit as good as Pirlo whilst able to fill in easily in central defence

Real Madrid would have Kyle Walker at right back in a heart beat if he was interested

We have more quality left backs than any one at the Euros

John Stones would walk into any other defence at the Euros

Yeah and the premier league is the best league in the world. 

1 hour ago, RedJim said:

La Liga has 3 sides in the last 8 of the Champions League (Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid). Then there are 3 Spanish teams in the last 8 of the Europa League (Bilbao, Sevilla and Villareal). It is the strongest league in Europe and Leicester would probably be mid table there, in my opinion.

Exactly, I can't imagine one La Liga defence getting done by a long ball over the top to Vardy.

Leicester wouldn't be able to cope with the technical Spanish sides, Barca and the two Madrid sides are a level above the 'bottom' sides in Spain, but also a level above the 'top' sides in England!

1 hour ago, RedJim said:

Hart

Clyne    Smalling    Cahill    Cresswell

Dier

Welbeck   Barkley   Alli   Sterling (despite that he frustrates the hell out of me)

Kane

I'd like to see England line up something similar to how City did on Saturday.

I'd like to see something like

Hart

Clyne  Smalling  Cahill  Rose

Ali/Barkley  Dier  Henderson/Drinkwater

Welbeck  Kane  Vardy

Not much chance of seeing that though, as Rooney & Wilshire are pretty much a shoe in for Roy.

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Exactly, I can't imagine one La Liga defence getting done by a long ball over the top to Vardy.

Leicester wouldn't be able to cope with the technical Spanish sides, Barca and the two Madrid sides are a level above the 'bottom' sides in Spain, but also a level above the 'top' sides in England!

I don't think you've watched a lot of Spanish football. There are some awful teams in the lower reaches of La Liga and balls over the top for the speedy striker to run onto are how they often get done

I always think these comparisons are a bit apples and oranges. Barcelona, for example, are streets ahead of any PL team, but I'm bored to tears watching them in La Liga. They make for a fantastic high lights reel mind. But there are some genuinely poor players and teams kicking about in La Liga, just as there are in the Premier League

Its also worth remembering that at least Chelsea, ManUre, etc. share some of the money with the teams at the bottom. Barca and Real have maintained their dominance through a mixture of favourable tv deals and repeatedly having their debts wiped out by regional governments. And it's not a coincidence that pretty much all of Barcelonas big players are currently embroiled in tax scandals at the mo

1 hour ago, RedJim said:

And Walcott would be nowhere near my starting eleven.

Every time I see him play for England on the wing it seems he scores. I'll have him there for his pace. Plus I'm not sure who else could play there off the top of my head. 

Stones isn't assured as much defensively but that's why Smalling is next to him and Stones is good enough to have him play out from the back. 

Just my opinion but I'm sure it'll be the same ol boys from before no matter how much they've played or how well they have performed this season. Phil Jones I haven't seen play in ages. Jagielka is probably a bit too old. Cahill I've never been a huge fan of. Not many options. May as well start using Stones and Smalling to build a partnership as they would have 7 or 8 years together there. 

I am one of the few people to ever credit England and always think we can do better. I honestly EXPECT Semi-Finals with the team we have, I mean look at other large European countries outside of Spain or Germany. Holland are nothing now, Belgium are certainly beatable, Sweden are Zlatan and we have beaten them plenty, Portgual, Ronaldo and Co. 

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Some of our players look decent in the hurly burly of the Prem. International football isn't played like that though. 

Prepare to be disappointed again imo.

True. When you lose the ball in these international tournaments you might not see it again for another 5 minutes. In the Premierleague that usually doesn't apply as possession is relinquished so often by both teams you can afford to take more risks.

We are best off playing on the counter. Use our best commodity in pace if we ever win the ball back and get up the pitch asap. A little like Leicester have done. 

I am looking forward to seeing how well our younger players do this time. Hopefully they play without fear. Surely expectations can't be too high, like they have been before? 

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

If it was me:

Hart

Trippier Smalling Stones Cresswell

Dier Alli

Walcott Barkley Sterling(who else?)

Kane

Butland, Rooney(he going so may as well put him here), Henderson, Cahill, Walker, Shaw/Bertrand, Milner, Sturridge, Welbeck, Oxlade Chamberlin, Forster and a few others I can't think of off hand to compete for subs. 

Sterling and Walcott are genuinely awful. I would agree that Rooney has no place in the starting XI though. I would pick Vardy, Kane, Sturridge and even Jermaine Defoe ahead of Rooney.

3 hours ago, simon uk said:

Yeah and the premier league is the best league in the world. 

6 hours ago, Ian M said:

Say what you like about the others but Smalling has had a very good season. 

Only doing what he said

2 hours ago, chipdawg said:

I don't think you've watched a lot of Spanish football. There are some awful teams in the lower reaches of La Liga and balls over the top for the speedy striker to run onto are how they often get done

I always think these comparisons are a bit apples and oranges. Barcelona, for example, are streets ahead of any PL team, but I'm bored to tears watching them in La Liga. They make for a fantastic high lights reel mind. But there are some genuinely poor players and teams kicking about in La Liga, just as there are in the Premier League

Its also worth remembering that at least Chelsea, ManUre, etc. share some of the money with the teams at the bottom. Barca and Real have maintained their dominance through a mixture of favourable tv deals and repeatedly having their debts wiped out by regional governments. And it's not a coincidence that pretty much all of Barcelonas big players are currently embroiled in tax scandals at the mo

Well!, i do watch a lot of Spanish football, and some of the lower sides aren't the best I agree. But most teams defend a lot deeper than teams in the Prem, and aren't so easily taken apart by one long ball as here, imo.

Part, or a lot of the dominance of Barcelona is down to their youth system and the players they have brought through, but RM do seem to get favours from governments and even the Spanish royal family it seems.

With regards the money side of things, the wage bills of all the top clubs in Spain and England  are obscene. 

Amazed by the stick England and Rooney get, 100% qualifying record and Roney has become all time top scorer.

Yes we have been pretty shite in the past but I'm impressed with what we are doing now.

An England's fan mentality is strange, we were shit then so we are shit now.

It's like saying City were shit at the start of the season and are still shit now despite our recent good results.

55 minutes ago, Just Red said:

Amazed by the stick England and Rooney get, 100% qualifying record and Roney has become all time top scorer.

Yes we have been pretty shite in the past but I'm impressed with what we are doing now.

An England's fan mentality is strange, we were shit then so we are shit now.

It's like saying City were shit at the start of the season and are still shit now despite our recent good results.

Unfortunately Rooney has only ever proved it on the big stage once, and that was right at the start of his career.  Ever since then he, and England have continued to flatter to deceive, even when we had the 'golden generation' or whatever they were called.  That's why he and England as a whole give most people little confidence. We just can't get it together on the big stage as we're simply not technically good enough. Look at the last World Cup. Out within a week! Results have improved, granted and we can only beat what's in front of us but our most difficult game during the qualifiers was Switzerland away, who, no matter where they are on the world rankings (which are a load of nonsense usually) we should be beating, home and away. I really hope that Roy proves the majority of us wrong and goes with form players like Dier, Alli, Barkley, Kane in the starting line up as opposed to his usual suspects (Walcott, Wilshire, Milner,) but I think he'll bottle it and it'll be the same old. We'll get through the group as its bloody awful but we'll go out on in the first knock out stage.  Really really hope I'm wrong mind, but just can't see it. 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Sterling and Walcott are genuinely awful. I would agree that Rooney has no place in the starting XI though. I would pick Vardy, Kane, Sturridge and even Jermaine Defoe ahead of Rooney.

Defoe is a good shout. I'd bring him. Great option if you need a late goal. The wings I just don't know who to pick. Do you put strikers like Sturridge and Welbeck out there? I'd like to have seen Redmond involved more so I don't think he'd be an option and it's a joke Lingard has been called up before him. 

11 hours ago, RedDave said:

This will be Roy's first XI at the Euros

Hart

Walker.       Smalling.     Cahill.      Bertrand

Henderson. Milner. 

Sterling.        Barkley.       Welbeck

Rooney 

And you aint winning jack shit with a lineup like that im afraid.

The thing that England have got going for them is the "unknown"  factor. A lot of players who will be representing this summer have only been playing for a couple of years at a recognised top level. Some less than that.

Even in an age of such global viewing around the world players like Vardy, kane etc will be known but will not be considered our main dangers. If you take rooney for instance teams have targeted him for years as he was our main man. 

Henderson, milner and rodwell anywere near the tem we will be out at the group stage.

RH should just play young'uns with hart, roon and cahill.

sterling has been crap aswell.

what as woy got to lose, just go for it and take a chance.

read an article on englands chances on north American site, jurgen klinnsman says out first roundt if he plays the usuals  or last 4 if he plays the younguns..

There are some mental ideas on here.  

We got knocked out of the world cup because our full backs were Johnson and Baines. Simple.

Key thing for Woy is to pick the best keeper and back 4.  This is

Butland

Clyne (though out of form)  Stones Smalling Bertrand

However, Spurs' success will probably seduce him into playing attacking full backs with Dier as a holding midfielder and we'll get exploited wide just like City were playing with wing backs. Without John Terry to lead the side, we are shit. It's as simple as that.

The midfield and attack is less important - what matters is being solid.  

15 hours ago, Selred said:
2 hours ago, The Bard said:

There are some mental ideas on here.  

We got knocked out of the world cup because our full backs were Johnson and Baines. Simple.

Key thing for Woy is to pick the best keeper and back 4.  This is

Butland

Clyne (though out of form)  Stones Smalling Bertrand

However, Spurs' success will probably seduce him into playing attacking full backs with Dier as a holding midfielder and we'll get exploited wide just like City were playing with wing backs. Without John Terry to lead the side, we are shit. It's as simple as that.

The midfield and attack is less important - what matters is being solid.  

He can't even get a game for a struggling Everton side these days. He has to leave as he will never improve under Martinez. 

Here's an alarming statistic - in our history England have only ever won five tournament knockout matches outside England (Paraguay 1986, Belgium after extra time 1990, Cameroon after extra time 1990, Denmark 2002, Ecuador 2006). Perhaps not surprisingly, the round of 16 is the favourite for 'England's stage of elimination' with the bookies who currently offer that market.

Sincerely hope I'm wrong but I am expecting a substantial refund on my conditional quarters, semis and final tickets.

Archived