IGNORED

Kane to be top scorer at Euro's?

reddogkev

16 hours ago, Cowshed said:

"I think you might be surprised about how well Leicester would do in Spain"

Yes they would not be top, or second, or third, or fourth. In the mediocre EPL they are prospering.

"I doubt England will go too far in the competition. The main reason for that is"

Technical ability. The lack of it. Same every time. It is why the top leagues in Europe do not want English players. Too expensive and too limited.

"The Manger will select"

An XI of bang average. That is all any Manager - Coach could do.

I never get this technical line, isn't the premiership made up of mostly foreign players  and foreign managers?

The PL is more competitive than any other league and that shows in the amount of different sides that have got to CL finals over the last 15 years or so.

9 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I never get this technical line, isn't the premiership made up of mostly foreign players  and foreign managers?

The PL is more competitive than any other league and that shows in the amount of different sides that have got to CL finals over the last 15 years or so.

Agree, our 'big' sides - Arsenal, Man City, Man United, Chelsea have all either underachieved massively or going through a bit of a transition. I'd argue Man City/United/Chelsea are all transitional at the moment. Announcing Pep so early may have backfired a bit, stranger situation for players mentally. They'll be back though and right up with the best in Europe there within the next two seasons.

United still haven't quite recovered from losing Ferguson, whilst Van Gaal has kept them close to the top 4, im not sure if he's the best for for them. Lots of average players in that squad.

Chelsea are a funny one, think they need some new blood but I think they've just had an anomaly of a season.

Arsenal - perennially underachieve and this season was their biggest opportunity in years to win the league and steal a match on the other teams. Great stadium (for corporate), brilliant location with access to lots of airports which is a factor for big clubs, big fan base, turn a profit.. Everything is there bar the team. Maybe it is time for a new manager there.

Ive really enjoyed this prem season though, far more than usual, Leicester are great to watch and so are Spurs. Rather have that than the same usual sides battling it out for top four.

I don't even think our national team is that bad. Big statement but on paper I'd only list Germany, Spain and France as stronger than us. In reality though, we just don't seem to 'get' tournament football on that stage.

looking forward to the tournament though, quietly hopeful of semis if our most influential players (Kane and Vardy included) keep fit.

Amazing to think both Kane and Vardy were on the bench for Leicester as recently as 3 years ago.. 

13 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Well!, i do watch a lot of Spanish football, and some of the lower sides aren't the best I agree. But most teams defend a lot deeper than teams in the Prem, and aren't so easily taken apart by one long ball as here, imo.

Part, or a lot of the dominance of Barcelona is down to their youth system and the players they have brought through, but RM do seem to get favours from governments and even the Spanish royal family it seems.

With regards the money side of things, the wage bills of all the top clubs in Spain and England  are obscene. 

Sorry didn't mean that to sound so patronising! However, I think if you watch Levante or Elche (for example) against Barcelona then yes, they defend very deep. But that's not necessarily the case where they feel they can get a win. Defensively I think there are a lot of really poor teams in Spain. The same is obviously true in the Premier League, but I think the quality of individual players at, say Newcastle, is much better than at, say Levante- despite Newcastle being absolutely shite this year

"The PL is more competitive than any other league and that shows in the amount of different sides that have got to CL finals over the last 15 years or so"

Barca. Athletico, Deportivo, Valencia and Real have won la liga in the last 20 years. EPL Arsenal, Blackburn, Chelsea, Man U, Man City.

The Spanish are far more successful in Europe.

Their national side? European champions x 2 and World Champions.

World players of the year? Kaka excepted every [player has come from La Liga since 2002.

All from an "uncompetitive" league.

""I never get this technical line, isn't the premiership made up of mostly foreign players and foreign managers? "

Yes filling in for the lack of ability of English players. The very best no longer come to England. The standard is stagnating. Money is no longer buying class or an end to insular thinking.

24 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

"The PL is more competitive than any other league and that shows in the amount of different sides that have got to CL finals over the last 15 years or so"

Barca. Athletico, Deportivo, Valencia and Real have won la liga in the last 20 years. EPL Arsenal, Blackburn, Chelsea, Man U, Man City.

The Spanish are far more successful in Europe.

Their national side? European champions x 2 and World Champions.

World players of the year? Kaka excepted every [player has come from La Liga since 2002.

All from an "uncompetitive" league.

""I never get this technical line, isn't the premiership made up of mostly foreign players and foreign managers? "

Yes filling in for the lack of ability of English players. The very best no longer come to England. The standard is stagnating. Money is no longer buying class or an end to insular thinking.

Ronaldo was at United when he won his first Ballon D'or

18 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Reckon Leicester in La Liga would be a breeze.

Hand over 80% of possession to Barca and they'd fanny around just like Newcastle and Palace.

Big boot up the pitch back to front to Vardy is all it needs.

Hopefully we'll find out next season how Pique handles Vardy and how Morgan handles Neymar :laughcont:.

As much as I am a pessimistic boring bastard I think we might actually do fairly well, a couple of English lads have been doing superbly recently in the premier league. As glynriley said, I think Welbeck - Kane - Vardy up front looks dangerous.

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

As much as I am a pessimistic boring bastard I think we might actually do fairly well, a couple of English lads have been doing superbly recently in the premier league. As glynriley said, I think Welbeck - Kane - Vardy up front looks dangerous.

Not a huge Welbeck fan as he's not the most exciting player but appreciate the work he does, good scoring record for England too. I always thought of him as a rich man's Agard. 

The three you mentioned up front with Barkley/Ali/Dier as a midfield three would be tremendously exciting just for the unknown factor and that they're all good footballers. Would fancy Kane to get a fair few goals as Welbeck/Vardy would cause issues with their work rate and movement.

So depressingly predicable that both Milner and Henderson will probably play though.. 

The one thing going forward that's different this year to before other tournaments is that Hodgson does actually have some difficult decisions to make in terms of his squad and his first 11. Usually an England squad picks itself because you struggle to find 22 players you'd want to take. If you accept the inevitability of a good chunk of the 'old guard' going (and probably rightly so given the collective experience there), there are a lot of players this season who are making it difficult for Roy to ignore- Vardy, Kane and Ali have become must picks now, Barkley has come on in the last two season, Dier, Drinkwater are providing actual options in the holding positions, rather than trying to fit someone in there for the sake of it. Lingard has been very good in a poor ManUre team, as has Rashford (though it's way too early for him). Hodgson may well go safety first and play the Hendersons and Milners of this world; but at least for once an England manager has genuine options to do something else

Archived