IGNORED

Nice bit of insight...

spudski

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

I feel for the bloke...he seems to be doing a good job so far...as is LJ...yet some it seems want to pick holes in him, just because of suit, terms of expressions etc.

As a "hole picker" par excellence yourself, spud, must say I'm disappointed in you levelling this at others here. Poor show mate

Picking holes, or asking questions as I like to see it, is a way of gaining more understanding, a pretty legitimate and reasonable thing for any interested supporter to do in my view.

I would also say some scepticism is also understandable given the big talk and no delivery from the club previously.

If we sign permanently rather than loan quality equivalent to Baker, Tomlin and Odemwingie then I'll be impressed and more than happy to congratulate MA, not a problem.

Oh dear, people always complaining they never hear about recruitment policy or ever get information from the club. We get SL giving a Q&A, MA detailing some of our recruitment and people...... complain. Is it that they only want to hear one message, and that's the one that correlates with their own internal thoughts/ideas.. because if so the only way that can happen is if you buy yourself a little club and run it yourself.

14 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

As a "hole picker" par excellence yourself, spud, must say I'm disappointed in you levelling this at others here. Poor show mate

Picking holes, or asking questions as I like to see it, is a way of gaining more understanding, a pretty legitimate and reasonable thing for any interested supporter to do in my view.

I would also say some scepticism is also understandable given the big talk and no delivery from the club previously.

If we sign permanently rather than loan quality equivalent to Baker, Tomlin and Odemwingie then I'll be impressed and more than happy to congratulate MA, not a problem.

I don't get your complaint, is it because he has a nicer suit than you?

HE is talking about the job HE does, what HE has done recently as a part of HIS job, so wouldn't it be natural for him to address himself as "I"? 

This is part is an assumption on my end, but I don't imagine it's unreasonable, but I am assuming he was being asked questions related to what he answered, and that he didn't hijack another interview to talk about himself. Oops, I used the word "I" to talk about myself, time for you to have a problem with it.

sorry Jack, wrong person quoted, was meant for billy wedlock

1 hour ago, deadredfred said:

We don't learn.

I don't understand the need for this bit of PR at all. Who does it help? Despite him sounding like David Brent, I have nothing against Ashton. He seems to be doing a decent job so far. 

But the fact is we can't possibly have a worse transfer window than last summer, so why they insist on raising fans expectations I don't know. 

" Raising expectations" = season tickets to sell!

I am not suggesting that it's only about that, but it is part of the "game" at this point of a disappointing season.

13 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Feel for him ? What a strange comment. I will be part of your "pick holes in him:, just as you have now decided after SC that anything LJ and MA do are untouchable. If the same contacts you claimed to have has when SC was there are still talking to you, then you would understand why your completely rebounded view is bizarre. MA has indeed started well, however, he could do even better if he slightly modified his approach. You will understand that more as time goes on as your "contacts" will undoubtedly let you know. It will be far more interesting to have a review of our summer activity, restructuring of the academy and scouting when it has all been completed. As for explaining roles, no problem, but the use of "I" is not how you do it, it is BCFC not MA FC. You explain how BCFC does its work. It is not a one man show. But then your "contacts" would have told you that. 

I've not decided LJ and MA are untouchable fella...don't know where you've got that idea from.

Maybe he could modify his approach...the only point I was trying to make, is that the Club, via MA are trying to be transparent and informative...something many have been crying out for.

So when they do that...a few choose to pick holes in how the information is delivered, rather than focussing on what is being talked about.

It was the same with SoD...he gave informative info...yet people focussed on his dour persona rather than the information.

Why you have to be condescending about 'Contacts' i'm not sure...what do they have to do with this? And before you ask...yes they do come into contact with MA.

We agree on many things BW...just not sure why people seem to dislike this bloke...that's all.

18 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

So what is your grievance fella?

MA...or the information he's putting out there?

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've not decided LJ and MA are untouchable fella...don't know where you've got that idea from.

Maybe he could modify his approach...the only point I was trying to make, is that the Club, via MA are trying to be transparent and informative...something many have been crying out for.

So when they do that...a few choose to pick holes in how the information is delivered, rather than focussing on what is being talked about.

It was the same with SoD...he gave informative info...yet people focussed on his dour persona rather than the information.

Why you have to be condescending about 'Contacts' i'm not sure...what do they have to do with this? And before you ask...yes they do come into contact with MA.

We agree on many things BW...just not sure why people seem to dislike this bloke...that's all.

So what is your grievance fella?

MA...or the information he's putting out there?

The things he says. I've said above:

In Dec, SL says he thinks we should be picking up best of lower leagues.

In March, MA is saying fans should not worry about "big players" not wanting to come here, that getting Odemwingie indicates we can and will get "big players." This, after SL was saying one thing and SC doing another. 

So, which is it? Bargains or "big players"? Or is it a combination of the two? They might want to be more precise about the messages they put out to supporters, given recent events

That's enough to go on with, before we get to what "DNA" means, specifically, in words people use in everyday language. And "you need to make sure your targets are realistic" something we bodged last summer, how do you do this? And how "mental fit" is assessed (the Myers-Briggs personality test?)

Specific stuff, rather than vague, generic jargon.

Much of what he said implies criticism of SC/KB. Were they not "scouring the market" then? I seem to remember SC bidding for a fair few players? 

I'm loving this refreshing approach of showing us all the cards in the deck so to speak, however we've seen it before when on an upward curve, however when things go tits up, it's nothing from the club or a load of rumours, gesticulating and pointing of fingers yet no clarity.

Of course I don't want to be in a particularly bad spot as a team, but historically it happens, when/if(for arguments sake) this does happen, will we still get the same clarity and delivery of information from MR ASHTON and LJ as we are getting at the moment.

Just saying and in no way am I trying to be negative, especially after a 6-0 win! 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I'm loving this refreshing approach of showing us all the cards in the deck so to speak, however we've seen it before when on an upward curve, however when things go tits up, it's nothing from the club or a load of rumours, gesticulating and pointing of fingers yet no clarity. 

This is a fantastic point that we on otib are as guilty of as the board. 

It's all pink and fluffy at the moment because we're doing well. Three or four defeats and we'll be back to the "I've never felt so distant from the club" threads. 

It's funny what a run of good/bad form can do for the mood. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

This is a fantastic point that we on otib are as guilty of as the board. 

It's all pink and fluffy at the moment because we're doing well. Three or four defeats and we'll be back to the "I've never felt so distant from the club" threads. 

It's funny what a run of good/bad form can do for the mood. 

Very true, but that is football fans the world over not just at BCFC

It's a promising start. We've had a few promising starts: KB is gold threads about 18months ago, 3months ago KB didn't know his arse from his elbow and it was MA who pulled the strings then. 

What I can easily foresee is MA will get smoke blown up his arse for the next 12months, 18months time SL will be 'pulling the plug on deals' per some, 24months time MA leaves, 27months time MA's successor is a 'football man' and great at his job; repeat. 

Ive nothing against MA, I hope my divine foresight is incorrect, but there is a sense of been here before. Hindsight will probably only convince me of his success I'm afraid.

Apart from Ashton using a bit too much jargon - football may be an industry but to all of us it is football - but I do understand what he is trying to do. He is trying to drag a long standing inefficient club in terms of achievement; titles and cups, into the real world of successful clubs. 

He will be fighting pretty nigh on, a hundred years of non achievement with only two league titles, two League Cup semi-finals since the end of World War 2, and every promotion matched by a relegation with last season's promotion as the odd one out.

It is good to hear that he and LJ are checking out potential players personalities, life-styles and their compatibility with the squad, before even considering whether good enough as a player. Murphy's law says that they will get some wrong but I would expect that recruitment will be a lot more methodical and successful than during our recent past. And that we will start to make a profit, should we need to do so, on transfers out and not haemhorrage cash on incoming players a la Trundle, Sarborio, Hunt and countless others 

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Oh dear, people always complaining they never hear about recruitment policy or ever get information from the club. We get SL giving a Q&A, MA detailing some of our recruitment and people...... complain. Is it that they only want to hear one message, and that's the one that correlates with their own internal thoughts/ideas.. because if so the only way that can happen is if you buy yourself a little club and run it yourself.

You've made an assumption that the people asking questions about today's message from our COO are the very same people that said they wanted to hear more from the club. 

And I don't think you've read all the posts on here properly. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I really like the fact he goes into detail about how he's going about recruiting.

It's bound to be difficult, not to talk about what he is doing, as it's his job and his responsibilities that he's explaining.

I find it far more refreshing, reading about how he and LJ are going about recruiting, rather than not hearing anything from the club.

When he talks about himself...he's letting the fan base know what he's doing and how he goes about it and his responsibilities.

Imo...that's great.

How often do we hear names being spouted...and fans saying 'what does he actually do at the club'?

This was only recently said about Burt...people guessed at what he did and his responsibilities...it was never really spoken about by the club.

From what i'm seeing...the club are trying to be more transparent and informative about how they work.

That's a good thing imo.

Damned if they don't...damned if they do it seems.

I feel for the bloke...he seems to be doing a good job so far...as is LJ...yet some it seems want to pick holes in him, just because of suit, terms of expressions etc.

Well it seems for certain that our loan signings in the last couple of months have been outstanding.

Given us an outstanding chance of staying up. Compare that to the loans of the last 10 years and most have been nothing short of a   disaster.

If the man can attract the same loans and permanent signings we need to go forward next season then well, whatever the spiel, like the bloke or not, sounds like he can help push the club forward.

The only sound bite I will never be able to take (to old now) is the industry!!!!

It's almost like people hate and are intimidated by the idea that someone who doesn't speak like Mike Bassett - England Manager when discussing football might know more than they do and do it successfully. "The Working Man's Game" never used to allow for corporate speak and was more simple; it's changed now.

People seem to pick holes deliberately which is strange; this summer is the test but I'm much more confident in our recruitment this time around.

Most agree we've needed a bit more savvyness here for years with regard to the market, agents etc - now we have someone with that expertise, people won't stop taking pot shots.

May do a good job, may not, too early to tell, but good self publicist that's for sure.

"I got asked about this"

“I’ve been in the industry a lifetime"

"Lee and I spoke to"

"I recently spent time in London with a host of agents, just reintroducing myself "

“Lee and I are very hungry"

"We will not fail on hard work.”

“I wasn’t there, but a lot of my former colleagues were with Peter at West Brom"

“I brought Peter’s name up when I first arrived here"

"I dealt with the chief executive and agent"

57 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

In March, MA is saying fans should not worry about "big players" not wanting to come here, that getting Odemwingie indicates we can and will get "big players." This, after SL was saying one thing and SC doing another. 

So, which is it? Bargains or "big players"? Or is it a combination of the two? They might want to be more precise about the messages they put out to supporters, given recent events

That's enough to go on with, before we get to what "DNA" means, specifically, in words people use in everyday language. And "you need to make sure your targets are realistic" something we bodged last summer, how do you do this? And how "mental fit" is assessed (the Myers-Briggs personality test?)

Much of what he said implies criticism of SC/KB. Were they not "scouring the market" then? I seem to remember SC bidding for a fair few players? 

With respect, I think it's more to do with how you are interpreting it.

None of it seems vague to me...it's pretty straight forward talk.

It seems certain people hang on to every word and sentence like it's written in stone.

It's obvious to me that MA has been asked questions...and he's responding likewise in the interview.

We've had 'Top' players turn us down...and he's just put it straight that we can employ them.

Just because he's spoken about 'Top players' in this article...doesn't mean we have moved the goalposts as to who we are after.

Every article that's written will now over ride the last one? I don't think so, unless it specifically says so.

It's more about complimenting each one written.

Maybe read between the lines, and you will get the gist of what he's on about...it seems pretty straightforward and simple to me.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Why can't it be that we are going for a mix of bigger players and the best of the lower leagues? The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's almost like people hate and are intimidated by the idea that someone who doesn't speak like Mike Bassett - England Manager when discussing football might know more than they do and do it successfully. "The Working Man's Game" never used to allow for corporate speak and was more simple; it's changed now.

People seem to pick holes deliberately which is strange; this summer is the test but I'm much more confident in our recruitment this time around.

Most agree we've needed a bit more savvyness here for years with regard to the market, agents etc - now we have someone with that expertise, people won't stop taking pot shots.

"People" are being wary. Waiting and seeing. Nothing "strange" about that, given the club's record for promising more than it delivers. Not in my book. MA was despised by "some people" at Watford, I have read elsewhere. Further reason to wait and see what happens, rather than lapping up mere words. 

We had lots of talk last summer, bold talk, and then nothing happened. That was before MA returned though, so let's see what he does

5 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

"People" are being wary. Waiting and seeing. Nothing "strange" about that, given the club's record for promising more than it delivers. Not in my book. MA was despised by "some people" at Watford, I have read elsewhere. Further reason to wait and see what happens, rather than lapping up mere words. 

We had lots of talk last summer, bold talk, and then nothing happened. That was before MA returned though, so let's see what he does

Yep, which is what I am saying. This summer is the test. Of course it's natural for people to by wary, but it's more than that. It's a bit personal it seems and people trying to shoot him down pretending they don't understand his point when they clearly do.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

With respect, I think it's more to do with how you are interpreting it.

None of it seems vague to me...it's pretty straight forward talk.

It seems certain people hang on to every word and sentence like it's written in stone.

It's obvious to me that MA has been asked questions...and he's responding likewise in the interview.

We've had 'Top' players turn us down...and he's just put it straight that we can employ them.

Just because he's spoken about 'Top players' in this article...doesn't mean we have moved the goalposts as to who we are after.

Every article that's written will now over ride the last one? I don't think so, unless it specifically says so.

It's more about complimenting each one written.

Maybe read between the lines, and you will get the gist of what he's on about...it seems pretty straightforward and simple to me.

"...it's pretty straight forward talk..." and "Maybe read between the lines..." if the former was true spud why suggest the latter?

10 minutes ago, City169 said:

Why can't it be that we are going for a mix of bigger players and the best of the lower leagues? The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

That's what I'm wondering. That's what I'd ask MA. What he has said today makes no mention of SL's words in December. All it refers to is attracting "big players." 

1 minute ago, Jack Dawe said:

"...it's pretty straight forward talk..." and "Maybe read between the lines..." if the former was true spud why suggest the latter?

Because you can read between the lines of straightforward talk.

What's so hard, for example, of interpreting the expression 'DNA of the club'? As in development and functioning of the club...and recruiting players that are the right fit for the club.

Why is he talking about the club being attractive to 'top players' and not mentioning SL's words in December?

Because like it says at the start of the article...Quote...

'I got asked about this ( subject) when I met with supporters alongside (majority shareholder) Steve Lansdown in Nottingham and again at the Senior Reds dinner the other day.'

Pretty simple really...it's obvious he answering questions put to him by fans.

Doesn't mean we've moved the goalposts.

Tend to think use of current buzz words and self publicity is often a reflection of lack of confidence in your subject matter.

Willing to give the chap time though and measure him on results.

A suggestion would be to extend his Tour of Britain to include the likes of Swansea, Bournemouth, Palace, Leicester to see how they've managed to move on and leave us trailing in their wake and get their take on our set up. To use his parlence a bit of benchmarking and pier review wouldn't go amiss. 

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Because you can read between the lines of straightforward talk.

What's so hard, for example, of interpreting the expression 'DNA of the club'? As in development and functioning of the club...and recruiting players that are the right fit for the club.

Why is he talking about the club being attractive to 'top players' and not mentioning SL's words in December?

Because like it says at the start of the article...Quote...

'I got asked about this ( subject) when I met with supporters alongside (majority shareholder) Steve Lansdown in Nottingham and again at the Senior Reds dinner the other day.'

Pretty simple really...it's obvious he answering questions put to him by fans.

Doesn't mean we've moved the goalposts.

Reading between the lines, spud, is not in the DNA of "straightforward" talk. I'm not saying the goalposts have been moved, or haven't been moved. I'm wanting to know. I'm just asking for clarity. You and others might be clear, not everyone will be. Me included. 

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I don't know if, should we stay up, the play offs is realistic or far fetched next season. But I agree, the standard of Ipswich and Brum for example is nothing amazingly special, not out of our league, or unachievable. After them come Preston, QPR, Wolves and Leeds - nothing special about them either. At all.

A top half finish should be the target, I'd have thought. If we stay up.

Fingers crossed MA can match words with deeds and bring in the players we need to go with the talent we've got here. Be exciting if he does

All we need to do is get the basics right. Build upon a solid back line. If we sign Tomlin and odemwingie permanently who knows what could happen. 

Brum, Ipswich, Cardiff and Preston all solid at the back a bit dull but can finish teams off in this league with that bit of quality up front.

Thats all we need.

24 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Reading between the lines, spud, is not in the DNA of "straightforward" talk. I'm not saying the goalposts have been moved, or haven't been moved. I'm wanting to know. I'm just asking for clarity. You and others might be clear, not everyone will be. Me included. 

I really can't grasp why you don't get it fella.

With respect...the article is in answer to questions asked by fans...as it states at the beginning.

Why do you need clarity about something that isn't even being discussed in the article ( recruiting lower league players ).

No one from the Club has come out and said recruitment ideas have been changed...so why do you need clarity again?

This article is purely about a question put to MA at recent meetings. Where fans have asked about not being able to attract 'Top Players'.

41 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Tend to think use of current buzz words and self publicity is often a reflection of lack of confidence in your subject matter.

Willing to give the chap time though and measure him on results.

A suggestion would be to extend his Tour of Britain to include the likes of Swansea, Bournemouth, Palace, Leicester to see how they've managed to move on and leave us trailing in their wake and get their take on our set up. To use his parlence a bit of benchmarking and pier review wouldn't go amiss. 

Or even Weston-Super-Mare!

Archived