IGNORED

Nice bit of insight...

spudski

He uses corporate speak but he gets the job done.  These two things are not mutually exclusive.  

I have to sit through meeting after meeting of people using one million words when ten will do but they get the job done. 

This is a great article and proves to me that we are moving in the right direction.  

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Tend to think use of current buzz words and self publicity is often a reflection of lack of confidence in your subject matter.

Willing to give the chap time though and measure him on results.

A suggestion would be to extend his Tour of Britain to include the likes of Swansea, Bournemouth, Palace, Leicester to see how they've managed to move on and leave us trailing in their wake and get their take on our set up. To use his parlence a bit of benchmarking and pier review wouldn't go amiss. 

Anyone else (or just me) think that all this "set-up, insight, backroom" stuff is just b s (note lower case , although......) I believe it boils down to.....a good team and good manager and a bit of luck. Blimey, we NEARLY made it in 2008, without  a stadium, set of suits, academy and all the rest of it to piss in !   I think sometimes things just fall into place and it's your time.

That's what I think, anyhow .

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really can't grasp why you don't get it fella.

With respect...the article is in answer to questions asked by fans...as it states at the beginning.

Why do you need clarity about something that isn't even being discussed in the article ( recruiting lower league players ).

No one from the Club has come out and said recruitment ideas have been changed...so why do you need clarity again?

This article is purely about a question put to MA at recent meetings. Where fans have asked about not being able to attract 'Top Players'.

Fair point, spud. I can see that now. I hope he brings in some great players. Hope there is better to come, for all of us. 

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

why be so disrespectful ?

I just find it uncomfortable how much control this guy is getting. He said himself that we wouldn't hear from him as much when LJ was appointed but he's seemingly doing weekly interviews with the typical corporate cliches of how fantastic our support is and how we're on the right path with players we should be attracting etc.

It's alright now we've hit a bit of form but leave the talking on the first-team to the manager and leave it to the results on the pitch. Fair enough if the CEO wants to make a comment on how bright the future looks in the summer (that's standard from every club) but no need for weekly interviews full of your typical corporate drivel.

Yes, things look on the up right now. Let's leave it to LJ and Ashton and co off the pitch to get the work done.

13 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

I just find it uncomfortable how much control this guy is getting. He said himself that we wouldn't hear from him as much when LJ was appointed but he's seemingly doing weekly interviews with the typical corporate cliches of how fantastic our support is and how we're on the right path with players we should be attracting etc.

It's alright now we've hit a bit of form but leave the talking on the first-team to the manager and leave it to the results on the pitch. Fair enough if the CEO wants to make a comment on how bright the future looks in the summer (that's standard from every club) but no need for weekly interviews full of your typical corporate drivel.

Yes, things look on the up right now. Let's leave it to LJ and Ashton and co off the pitch to get the work done.

There are 2 Ashton interviews on the city site in the last month, I haven't checked back further. One of those was him saying about our support at Fulham, the other was this one, giving some info on what he actually does. Not "weekly interviews" nor the "comments on the playing squad" that you say he should leave to LJ.

literally just moaning for the sake of it.

41 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Thought he was going to shut up now LJ is here? Eugh.

Let the manager comment on the playing squad.

I take your point (and clarification in your next post) but I'm happy to hear another voice - not just the first team coach or manager.

Around Nov/Dec of last year, Steve Cotterill seemed to be the only spokesperson at the entire club. And the pressure showed in his increasingly erratic replies to questions.

Two or more people talking the same game and working together is a much better indicator of backroom health.

Ashton may be a little too corporate sounding for many fans but if he brings professionalism to the club then I'll put up with his DNA!

17 minutes ago, City169 said:

There are 2 Ashton interviews on the city site in the last month, I haven't checked back further. One of those was him saying about our support at Fulham, the other was this one, giving some info on what he actually does. Not "weekly interviews" nor the "comments on the playing squad" that you say he should leave to LJ.

literally just moaning for the sake of it.

Well that's two interviews in two weeks since we went on a good run of results, after he said we wouldn't be hearing from him as much.

I'm definitely cynical about Ashton's level of control, I won''t lie. There is something I find discomforting about it all.

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Anyone else (or just me) think that all this "set-up, insight, backroom" stuff is just b s (note lower case , although......) I believe it boils down to.....a good team and good manager and a bit of luck. Blimey, we NEARLY made it in 2008, without  a stadium, set of suits, academy and all the rest of it to piss in !   I think sometimes things just fall into place and it's your time.

That's what I think, anyhow .

Having the stadium, academy and infrastructure make it much easier to get the good team, manager and even a bit of luck. Football has changed now, the rest of it has to be in place too otherwise, usually, it's not sustainable. How many clubs can you think of in the last decade that have got promoted to the PL, maintained it and grown thst don't have good infrastructure?

The best examples of clubs establishing themselves in the PL recently are Saints, Leicester, Swansea and Stoke. All modern, progressive clubs with new stadia, academies, good facilities and infrastructure that have established themselves in the PL.

The best example I can think of that had a good team, manager, and a bit of luck with not much else were Blackpool. Now look where they are!

52 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

I think this interview being commented on was an expansion on an answer to a question asked at the Forest QnA. It's interesting to read seeing as a very small % of people attended the live QnA.

14 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Well that's two interviews in two weeks since we went on a good run of results, after he said we wouldn't be hearing from him as much.

I'm definitely cynical about Ashton's level of control, I won''t lie. There is something I find discomforting about it all.

We've been on a good run of results since cotterill was sacked, the poor results have been outliers. In that time only Brighton and Burnley have picked up more points.

15 minutes ago, City169 said:

We've been on a good run of results since cotterill was sacked, the poor results have been outliers. In that time only Brighton and Burnley have picked up more points.

I know. LJ has done a very good job so far, as I anticipated. Ashton should leave him to it.

We've heard countless times in the past that City are respected amongst the wider football community, that we do due diligence and that players want to join us. More often than not though, we flatter to deceive. Odemwingie is a good signing, yes. But he is 34 and was out of favour at Stoke, so nothing groubreaking. Important, but not groundbreaking. Baker, Tomlin and Odemwingie are all good signings, don't get me wrong because I don't dispute that for a second, but they are loans, and they aren't really a groundbreaking signing like Gray or Gayle would have been had they signed  - they're just good Championship players we've managed to bring in on loan. A lot of clubs would be happy to have them in the division but can we attract that sort of high-end Championship player on a permanent basis? Baker and Tomlin would be a good start if we can, but likelihood is they'll be playing for other Championship clubs next season, as was shown last summer and with Elliott Bennett recently, we're a small fish with the wages we're willing to offer.

Let's see how we do in the summer window. Hopefully Ashton proves right in what he says and proves City are an attractive club. Like I said, we've heard it all before though.

It's certainly encouraging if a little premature what MA has to say, but while I enjoy reading @spudski posts, on reading this thread I'm 100% with @billywedlock on this one - no offence spud but I find it quite unsettling to see you rallying around some club PR, commending it to everyone as proof, when you picked apart any PR for what the last lot did.

Whether or not there is improvement in what MA is doing, surely you will accept that the motives of club PR remain the same as always and I find it convenient you suddenly use a piece of it as white smoke to crown the new Pope. You'd need a fantastic depth of ITK to draw out the distinctions in each spin, but it doesn't even stack up at face value: 

He's signed a couple of loans and is already declaring a revolution. The last lot did one successful summer and rebuilt a whole team. I didn't need them to tell me how they were going to do it, but they did it, and I doubt it was pin-sticking in Match magazine or googling 'League one good footballer', I'm sure they called people and got character references too.

So I'm not sure what has actually changed other than the personnel and contacts, and it would be better off for MA to save the triumphalism for when his approach and network have delivered lasting foundations of success, let alone the actual success the last lot managed. In the meantime I don't need club messages reinterpreted to suit individual arguments.

Of course, it's fair to point out MA may just be answering some questions, giving us the transparency some want, but a) I'm not saying he's done wrong or needs defending, I just don't see it as deep and meaningful insight as @spudski has used it for, and b) he's committed the cardinal sin of ratcheting up tinderbox expectations, and will now HAVE to deliver. 

10 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

We had lots of talk last summer, bold talk, and then nothing happened. That was before MA returned though, so let's see what he does

Actually we had very little talk last summer.  That was part of the problem.  I don't recall any particularly bold statements between May and August, and from what I recall most fans on this forum were asking for more information.  Ashton is now talking the talk, and has already delivered some fine signings.  I'm not sure what more he could have done for the moment.

50 minutes ago, Olé said:

It's certainly encouraging if a little premature what MA has to say, but while I enjoy reading @spudski posts, on reading this thread I'm 100% with @billywedlock on this one - no offence spud but I find it quite unsettling to see you rallying around some club PR, commending it to everyone as proof, when you picked apart any PR for what the last lot did.

Whether or not there is improvement in what MA is doing, surely you will accept that the motives of club PR remain the same as always and I find it convenient you suddenly use a piece of it as white smoke to crown the new Pope. You'd need a fantastic depth of ITK to draw out the distinctions in each spin, but it doesn't even stack up at face value: 

He's signed a couple of loans and is already declaring a revolution. The last lot did one successful summer and rebuilt a whole team. I didn't need them to tell me how they were going to do it, but they did it, and I doubt it was pin-sticking in Match magazine or googling 'League one good footballer', I'm sure they called people and got character references too.

So I'm not sure what has actually changed other than the personnel and contacts, and it would be better off for MA to save the triumphalism for when his approach and network have delivered lasting foundations of success, let alone the actual success the last lot managed. In the meantime I don't need club messages reinterpreted to suit individual arguments.

Of course, it's fair to point out MA may just be answering some questions, giving us the transparency some want, but a) I'm not saying he's done wrong or needs defending, I just don't see it as deep and meaningful insight as @spudski has used it for, and b) he's committed the cardinal sin of ratcheting up tinderbox expectations, and will now HAVE to deliver. 

Personally, I'm just glad to see some, any, club PR - let's face it, from the day we got promotion to the day Ashton walked in there hasn't been any club PR and maybe that has been a significant factor in our transfer dealings.  The club was giving every appearance of an embarrassingly amateur approach and was making itself look foolish in the Championship context.  Getting the PR right is a hugely important thing, and at last the club are addressing that.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Actually we had very little talk last summer.  That was part of the problem.  I don't recall any particularly bold statements between May and August, and from what I recall most fans on this forum were asking for more information.  Ashton is now talking the talk, and has already delivered some fine signings.  I'm not sure what more he could have done for the moment.

20 Apr 2015 BBC sport website: 

John Pelling - "we will compete in the Championship, one or another"

5 May 2015  Post

Keith Dawe - "we're in the market for a top goalscorer....." 

20 May  The Daily Telegraph

Steve Lansdown, under a headline "Can Bristol become Britain's Barcelona?" talked about Bristol City football club having the "potential to be one of the biggest in England"

26 June

John Pelling "...we are a well financed club..." this coming amongst other statements later about having a small budget 

There was quite a bit of confident chat from the club, immediately following promotion. Then when things became difficult, July onwards, it all went very quiet.There are more statements that can be dug out predicting quite the opposite of what actually happened. So, like I said, some of us are wary of more bold talk. I don't object to MA communicating with supporters, but promising or hinting that we'll be in for "big players" after the Gray/Gayle fiasco is running the risk of building high expectations again. 

But I take your point @The Dolman Pragmatist, I was picking holes a bit last night so I'll (try) and shut up on this now!

Odemwingie looks exciting though, so well done to MA for this and here's to more decent "big players" coming in

I think the issue of the club communicating with supporters is that there is quite a bit when things are going well, then next to nothing when things are going badly. Until a manager is sacked. One exception to this is SL doing Q&As with fans at away games. Is that a fair perception? We'll have to wait and see how communicative MA is when things are not going well. I think @Xiled makes a very good point that SC appeared to be left to take the flak and explain everything when it was all going pear shaped. Same with SO'D. It looks to me like MA's role will be to take some of this pressure off the head coach, a good move. 

7 hours ago, Olé said:

Blimey fella...where have I 'rallied around some club PR commending as proof to everyone'?

It seems there always has to be a 'for and against' camp...I find this truly odd.

I'm just happy the Club have decided to be more transparent in giving information out on how they are working.

Some people like to read info like that...if some don't...then just ignore it...surely?

Why do you think things have changed? No one has said they have...the articles recently are just talking about the workings of the Club. Where have they said they have changed an approach? I should imagine some things have...but that's natural, as it happens in most jobs with different employees.

The point I made about Character reference on a talented player, actually came to my attention, when SC and KB were here...I mentioned that the Club did this...it wasn't anything to do with a difference between the former and present set up.

I really don't understand why certain people are against info being given out.

It may sound like spin...but so what? At least it's something. Before there was nothing...and you'd often have people on here writing that they haven't got the foggiest idea of how things work or who does what.

I know which I'd prefer...at least you can have an informed opinion if it's written down by the club.

Before...people would say, 'how do you know this?'...and wouldn't believe anything unless they had it in black and white.

It's a no win situation it seems.

It's obvious the club are clearly trying to be more informative and transparent...yet we get people moaning because they don't like the way it's put across. Because it's 'corporate' speak and done by a 'guy in a suit'...I really do feel there is some reverse snobbery on this forum at times.

I am convinced that LJ could build a team entirely from the academy, all born within sight of Ashton Gate, storm the championship and qualify for the Champions League the following season,  playing in front of sold out gates, playing entertaining football and with the club financially self supporting.

And still some of our fans would be moaning. 

"Where are the big name players"

"What could we have done with Warnock?"

"Don't trust Ashton"

"Not enough communication"

"Only communicate when things go well"

Et., etc., etc.

^ @spudski - all fair points, perhaps it wasn't said but I read it as implicit to you point "Nice bit of insight" and "The one sentence that stands out for me is.... Lee and I have scoured the market" that there was a distinction here with how you have reacted to and criticised operations under SC/KB etc. On reflection I'm drawing an unwritten conclusion here, so I'm sorry if I've got it wrong, but I don't think it would be unfair to surmise by the sharp difference to your traditional reaction to club news (i.e. that this time it's a nice bit of insight and there's nothing here to be picked apart) that this is different and you are commending it to us all as evidence of positive running of the club.

Like I said, I'm encouraged, it just didn't sit quite right seeing you "market" a piece of PR when you've been so independently minded in the past when reacting to club information, and I've concluded - rightly or wrongly - that it's you double-underlining for us the change in org structure that has brought about your change of heart. From what you say above, the personnel is immaterial and you don't believe things have changed and in that case apologies, but I'm not sure you'd have posted this story quite the same if it came out on the previous watch. I should say in all of this, I'm atypical in that I really don't care for all the insight anymore, it's pinch of salt stuff, I wait for outcomes. 

On the reverse snobbery - it's not class based at all. I just think when someone comes into a club with no association and an iffy CV, and takes on a role that doesn't have the same barriers of football qualifications, people become more sensitive to their right to govern a lifelong passion of ours. It's no reflection on MA at all or what he wears. Don't forget it took a local bloke like Colin Sexstone some time to win people over by actions and tone - I'll admit myself to casting him as a spin doctor early on, before having met him and seen a real sincerity and drive to get things done. But the difference is CS in the end let actions speak. MA is speaking a lot about his actions before they've delivered.

But as I said, maybe I'm atypical, I don't need the insight until it's done. Others perhaps do. Good luck to MA, it sounds like he'll do well - I'd just prefer the insight once he has.

I am always happier when our Club communicates with its supporters, and I felt the first half of this season it was failing to do this.

So I see such articles as a positive step, in that they address supporters concerns.

Obviously the ultimate measurement is whether a successful football club is delivered.

People keep saying 'I'll wait and judge him on what he does rather than what he says'. 

Well lets look at that.

Since he came in we have loaned Tomlin, Matthews and Odemwingie and also made O'Donnell's loan permanent. 

We were in the relegation zone (following the Middlesbrough win) with 24 points from 27 games. We're now 6 points clear with 43 points from 38 games. Yes Lee Johnson is the manager and Pembo has to take a lot of credit as well for this, but who had a leading role in appointing LJ?

I'm not saying job done by any means, and look forward to more of the same. However I think he has done enough so far to at least get the doubters off his back.

I personally enjoy his pieces on the OS. I find them interesting and insightful. It's good to know what various people do at the club and it's something fans have been crying out for for years.

5 minutes ago, Kotsy said:

People keep saying 'I'll wait and judge him on what he does rather than what he says'. 

Well lets look at that.

Since he came in we have loaned Tomlin, Matthews and Odemwingie and also made O'Donnell's loan permanent. 

We were in the relegation zone (following the Middlesbrough win) with 24 points from 27 games. We're now 6 points clear with 43 points from 38 games. Yes Lee Johnson is the manager and Pembo has to take a lot of credit as well for this, but who had a leading role in appointing LJ?

I'm not saying job done by any means, and look forward to more of the same. However I think he has done enough so far to at least get the doubters off his back.

I personally enjoy his pieces on the OS. I find them interesting and insightful. It's good to know what various people do at the club and it's something fans have been crying out for for years.

SL, I believe.

Remember when MA was on radio Bristol teasing us with "you'd be surprised who is interested" and we all began to think the unthinkable, dream the impossible? Two days later it was announced SL was "assuming a leading role in the search for a new manager"

1 hour ago, Olé said:

^ @spudski - all fair points, perhaps it wasn't said but I read it as implicit to you point "Nice bit of insight" and "The one sentence that stands out for me is.... Lee and I have scoured the market" that there was a distinction here with how you have reacted to and criticised operations under SC/KB etc. On reflection I'm drawing an unwritten conclusion here, so I'm sorry if I've got it wrong, but I don't think it would be unfair to surmise by the sharp difference to your traditional reaction to club news (i.e. that this time it's a nice bit of insight and there's nothing here to be picked apart) that this is different and you are commending it to us all as evidence of positive running of the club.

Like I said, I'm encouraged, it just didn't sit quite right seeing you "market" a piece of PR when you've been so independently minded in the past when reacting to club information, and I've concluded - rightly or wrongly - that it's you double-underlining for us the change in org structure that has brought about your change of heart. From what you say above, the personnel is immaterial and you don't believe things have changed and in that case apologies, but I'm not sure you'd have posted this story quite the same if it came out on the previous watch. I should say in all of this, I'm atypical in that I really don't care for all the insight anymore, it's pinch of salt stuff, I wait for outcomes. 

On the reverse snobbery - it's not class based at all. I just think when someone comes into a club with no association and an iffy CV, and takes on a role that doesn't have the same barriers of football qualifications, people become more sensitive to their right to govern a lifelong passion of ours. It's no reflection on MA at all or what he wears. Don't forget it took a local bloke like Colin Sexstone some time to win people over by actions and tone - I'll admit myself to casting him as a spin doctor early on, before having met him and seen a real sincerity and drive to get things done. But the difference is CS in the end let actions speak. MA is speaking a lot about his actions before they've delivered.

But as I said, maybe I'm atypical, I don't need the insight until it's done. Others perhaps do. Good luck to MA, it sounds like he'll do well - I'd just prefer the insight once he has.

Fair points also fella...but as a few have also noticed...it's the informative material that is coming out of the club that is positive that's changed since 'the last lot'.

As for my 'typical' response...I think it's only fair, to commend when it's justified...and give constructive criticism when justified.

Imo, since LJ and MA have been here under their new roles, things have drastically improved on the pitch and off it.

It all may go wrong...I'm sure it will at some point....that's the nature of football.

But I for one and happy to see and hear of improvements being made. That's not to say the previous lot didn't do good things in the past.

Apart from 'Spin' as some like to put it...what negative things have happened since the change?

MA has been put in a position to carry out certain roles...one of those is to communicate with the fans. It's not his fault...what else is he meant to do if that has been requested of him?

As for insight...each to their own.

If it does go wrong...at least we will have some indication and clarification as to why?

After the summer shambles...the majority have no real idea as to what went wrong. The Club have pretty much kept quiet on that front.

Most fans have had to read between the lines of contrasting comments given out by the club and previous manager. Plus a few have their ear to the ground so to speak.

Hopefully....all the talk will be backed up by positive actions. So far it's looking good...long may it continue. :thumbsup:

Archived