IGNORED

Technology at the Club.

spudski

Don't think I've seen it covered on here.

Apparently we are using a Drone to film training...and interested in a New Recruitment player analysis package, that the likes of Real Madrid use.

Really like what I'm hearing down at the Club these days...whether it works, time will tell...but at least they are being proactive and trying to get ahead of the game so to speak.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-Lee-Johnson-secret-weapon-helping/story-28969275-detail/story.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Drone filming training makes sense, allows you to get a proper aerial view of training, so positional aspects of matches etc can be used to give visual representations to the players.

Interested in what the new recruitment software is though, as generally clubs will use a combination of 4 or 5 different types of software for recruitment. 

I love the fact the EP article carries a picture of a 3-inch white plastic drone and writes above it "an unmanned camera-carrying plane", in case anyone was uncertain whether to expect Lee Johnson to be flying it.

On the other points covered therein, I'm really not setting out to challenge you today spud, but again I would urge a bit of caution on this Real Madrid link and the provenance of it to how we're thinking about coaching.

Not disputing the club are introducing new tools, but in the  example used, the club has simply had someone come and sell some kit that 'Real Madrid has' and MA has used this as PR and you've said 'we're interested'.

I don't come close to your football coaching knowledge Spud but I know business very well and if there was any advantage to be had, we'd be signing NDAs and piloting the tech and evaluating it before speaking about it.

As it is, we just had a sales rep visit us which is not unsurprising given we're in one of the 5-6 biggest leagues in Europe, so to have 100 prospects in their pipeline, City and every other Championship club will get visited.

It's common in most lines of tech business to get some kind of endorsement/engagement/use from the perceived market leader, then hawk your kit round to everyone else on that basis, it's funny that it's always Real Madrid first to use.

Very often there is nothing more than a very loosely worded "Letter of intent" (Real Madrid will look at the product if sent it for free evaluation) which are meaningless, ten a penny and demonstrate nothing about its' potential ROI.

I was actually told for unrelated reasons about Real Madrid 'lending' their name to a lot of new football technologies and initiatives, either paid to do so or getting a commission from sales generated, punting any kit into the long grass.

So again, it's a bit too much like convenient PR for MA to be talking about Real Madrid, having had a visit from someone selling some new technology, it would be MUCH safer to talk about initiatives once they've delivered success.

Think I'd side with @Olé's scepticism on the recruitment tech. Not saying it's not good, but the whole RM thing sounds like sales patter so we have to wait and see. 

What I did like however was taking advantage of the potential relationships between the Bristol Sport clubs by trading knowledge with the rugby team. That's where the whole BS thing can really give us an edge by exploring technological, psychological, fitness and coaching practices from other sports in a more in depth way than a one off visit. Of course it's a different sport but there are probably many areas where information and techniques can be shared.

28 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Think I'd side with @Olé's scepticism on the recruitment tech. Not saying it's not good, but the whole RM thing sounds like sales patter so we have to wait and see. 

What I did like however was taking advantage of the potential relationships between the Bristol Sport clubs by trading knowledge with the rugby team. That's where the whole BS thing can really give us an edge by exploring technological, psychological, fitness and coaching practices from other sports in a more in depth way than a one off visit. Of course it's a different sport but there are probably many areas where information and techniques can be shared.

Agree, on a bit of a tangent but I've sometimes wondered why more football teams don't do what some Rugby sides do and have subs warm up on stationary bikes. Seems very archaic to have the players jog up the touchline and do a few stretches. If there was enough space, you could have 7 hi-tech stationary bikes pre-adjusted to each substitute's height which could monitor heart rate etc so the sports science guys know when the player is warm enough to do stretching before they come on. Running up the touchline is difficult to monitor and you see how often players' hamstrings pull in their first sprint when coming on, things like this could reduce the risk. Could also apply to warmdowns too, seems odd that a player is subbed off and just sits down after such high intensity exercise.

That's just one thing though. I'm sure there's lots of expertise rugby sides could help with, especially in strength / conditioning work and the retention of speed and agility whilst gaining size and muscle.

10 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

As long as they're not using the dire Prozone.  Gary Johnson went from a great football tactician to a rubbish one because he placed so much faith in the simplistic statistics pumped out by that colossal waste of a software licence fee.

A max of £3k for the year to use Prozone a waste? Been able to use prozone in the past and its very good as long as you know what you're looking to get out of it.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

A max of £3k for the year to use Prozone a waste? Been able to use prozone in the past and its very good as long as you know what you're looking to get out of it.

This exactly. We still use it as does every club at this level. Without meaning to sound patronising, it's easy to slag it off without actually knowing anything about what it is.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agree, on a bit of a tangent but I've sometimes wondered why more football teams don't do what some Rugby sides do and have subs warm up on stationary bikes. Seems very archaic to have the players jog up the touchline and do a few stretches. If there was enough space, you could have 7 hi-tech stationary bikes pre-adjusted to each substitute's height which could monitor heart rate etc so the sports science guys know when the player is warm enough to do stretching before they come on. Running up the touchline is difficult to monitor and you see how often players' hamstrings pull in their first sprint when coming on, things like this could reduce the risk. Could also apply to warmdowns too, seems odd that a player is subbed off and just sits down after such high intensity exercise.

That's just one thing though. I'm sure there's lots of expertise rugby sides could help with, especially in strength / conditioning work and the retention of speed and agility whilst gaining size and muscle.

I have often thought about this. It seems on a match day all those common sense fitness choices go out of the window.  

It's crazy a fine tuned athlete just sits there. Cold. Complete unready for any physical activity. 

It's a soft tissue injury waiting to happen. 

Stevo

4 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Given our inability to implement IT systems, I hate to think who we could be signing!!

As someone that works with computers for a living, I share that worry.

In my opinion, Bristol Sport in general could be using far more technology. Hell, if I were Lansdown and co I'd go all-in with the available technology, and look towards the research going on in our own back yard for help.

We have a decent university, the best tech scene outside of London, and possibly the strongest sports research in the country within an hour drive. Anything other than technical excellence is insane.

11 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

As long as they're not using the dire Prozone.  Gary Johnson went from a great football tactician to a rubbish one because he placed so much faith in the simplistic statistics pumped out by that colossal waste of a software licence fee.

Didn't Gary claim he couldn't even turn a computer on and it was Keith Millen that did the analysis? He was never a great tactician in any case, just a very good motivator (of the right kind of player).

Either way, I suspect the problem was more with the operator than the software.

29 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Do any pro football clubs use cycle trainers for warm ups? I believe that cycling tends to shorten hamstrings a little, not a good idea for a footballer, so perhaps that's why it's not considered as a pre-match warm up method for subs.

Didn't Fulham have some pitchside for a while?

5 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

I have often thought about this. It seems on a match day all those common sense fitness choices go out of the window.  

It's crazy a fine tuned athlete just sits there. Cold. Complete unready for any physical activity. 

It's a soft tissue injury waiting to happen. 

Stevo

It's a players responsibility to keep themselves warm, if they can't do that then they're not looking after themselves properly.

I've never understood the use of pitch side cycle warm ups.

Having used them for any length of time and then coming off them...it's often hard to walk normally, let alone run.

Like FR said...it does have an effect on the hamstring.

Running and stretching and movement, to increase blood circulation and to warm up the muscles to prevent injury is all that's needed.

52 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've never understood the use of pitch side cycle warm ups.

Having used them for any length of time and then coming off them...it's often hard to walk normally, let alone run.

Like FR said...it does have an effect on the hamstring.

Running and stretching and movement, to increase blood circulation and to warm up the muscles to prevent injury is all that's needed.

Cross trainers? May be solving a non-existent problem but it does seem rudimentary 

2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Cross trainers? May be solving a non-existent problem but it does seem rudimentary 

I think the simple answer is to just keep your Subs warmed up by running lightly and stretching on the sidelines...as long as your heart rate is up, temp up, muscles warm etc, you should be good to go.

19 hours ago, billywedlock said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

A complimentary  article on modern scouting systems and the Southampton model. 

Wow this was a very insightful article .  It Makes you wonder if Brentfords model is similar to Southampton ? Maybe I'm completely wrong but the parellels are there create great teams but then players sold on . Although Southampton have reinvested well . 

Good to see city up to date with technology but it's like everything good to get a good mix of everything 

8 hours ago, hodge said:

Quite.  That Gary thought Lee was worth keeping in because of Prozone's analysis of successfully completed passes when not one went forwards shows that it was over-relied upon.

6 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Do any pro football clubs use cycle trainers for warm ups? I believe that cycling tends to shorten hamstrings a little, not a good idea for a footballer, so perhaps that's why it's not considered as a pre-match warm up method for subs.

Surely it would apply to rugby too then, both short, sharp burst sprinting sports. I didn't know that about hamstrings if true, even so - surely these days there are better ways of earning up properly than jogging up a narrow touchline.

Archived