IGNORED

Kodja's Goal

NYTRAM

I thought at the time it was Joe's goal, it deserved to be for that run alone, so I was surprised to hear later on Saturday that it had been given to Kodjia. But seeing Joe's reaction on that video I dont think he thought he had scored anyway, he seems to be looking over at Kodjia and congratulating him. 

Looks like it might be hitting the inside of the post to me and Kodjia right to be following up. Clearly Kodjia's goal unless the rules have changed. Brilliant run by Joe though - good to see him playing well again and well done LJ for moving him into the middle.

• Admin

It's not Joe's goal - whether it was going in or not makes no difference - Kodija got the last touch, clearly his goal

In the move JB should have played Kodija in anyway when they broke clear so fortunate we got the goal from such a messed up attack

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's not Joe's goal - whether it was going in or not makes no difference - Kodjia got the last touch, clearly his goal

In the move JB should have played Kodjia in anyway when they broke clear so fortunate we got the goal from such a messed up attack

Exactly, he even had time to hit it as well before he checked back and gave the defender a chance to block it.

Still, it was a great break away and deserving of a goal no matter who got the final touch.

Every other TV and radio advert these days seems to be for a gambling website or phone app. It drives me mad. However when so many people are encouraged to invest so much money in predicting outcomes of sporting contests, it is inevitable that the definitive goal scorer in a football match has to be correctly identified. 

I agree that Joe deserved the goal but sadly sentiment no longer counts. JK did get the faintest touch as the ball crossed the line so should be awarded the goal otherwise I can see bookies and or punters getting ansi (maybe not over this particular goal but as a general principle).

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's not Joe's goal - whether it was going in or not makes no difference - Kodjia got the last touch, clearly his goal

In the move JB should have played Kodjia in anyway when they broke clear so fortunate we got the goal from such a messed up attack

Hardly a messed up attack, we scored!

Would JK have passed to Joe if the roles were reversed?

Looking again JK did get the last, very faintest touch, but no doubt in my mind it was going in anyway.

No 'assist' for Freeman then.

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Was Kodjia offside? Keeper was not goalside of him and I can only see one defender who is. So if I am correct (rarely am) then the linesman should have signalled offside.

Considering the amount of debate we have all had with the benefit of replays, I think the linesman can be forgiven on this occasion!

Joint 4th top scorer in the league while playing for a club in our position is a hell of an achievement especially when you consider the step up in intensity and quality from where he was last season...also taking into account he can barely speak English.

£2.2m looks an absolute steal in comparison to fees quoted for Gray / Gayle and it certainly shows he value in scouting properly in foreign leagues. His market value now will be 3 or 4 times what we paid for him.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Hardly a messed up attack, we scored!

Would JK have passed to Joe if the roles were reversed?

Looking again JK did get the last, very faintest touch, but no doubt in my mind it was going in anyway.

No 'assist' for Freeman then.

Being pendantic of course you could point that out - BUT the simple thing was for Bryan to roll the ball square to Kodija and have an empty net.

As already pointed out above - this is what LJ is referring to when saying players need to be making the right decisions on the ball

• Admin
21 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Was Kodjia offside? Keeper was not goalside of him and I can only see one defender who is. So if I am correct (rarely am) then the linesman should have signalled offside.

No - the he ran in past the defender in the middle of the goal - you can see it on the replay from behind the goal.

Admit in real time it looked offside, fortunately the lino got it right

Even if it was going in anyway, fair play to Kodjia for making sure.  You could say Kodjia nicked Bryan's goal with the hindsight of a replay but, in the moment, Kodjia couldn't have been sure where it was going.  Had it gone wide or come off the post, everyone would rightly ask why Kodjia didn't go for it.  It's a great example of his strikers' instincts.

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

No - the he ran in past the defender in the middle of the goal - you can see it on the replay from behind the goal.

Admit in real time it looked offside, fortunately the lino got it right

He was in an offside position. When Joe hits his shot JK is on the six yard line. There is one defender inside the six yard box, the keeper and other defenders are outside, therefore he was in an offside position when the ball was played. Offside is taken on the second last defender not the last one. Still I will forgive the linesman for a shocking lack of concentration.

Archived