IGNORED

Kodja's Goal

NYTRAM

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

It's a tight one as the goalie is diving backwards at the moment of Joe's shot and remember it is any part of a player's body (that they can legally play the ball with) that must be level with (or behind) at least 2 opponents. 

I've screen grabbed it on my phone but those with a computer monitor will be able to see better. 

Anyway, as others have said, an extremely tough call for the lino, especially given the time that passed between Joe shooting, Kodjia getting a touch and the complicating factor of whether Kodjia actually got that touch...all in realtime, looking through bodies and without the benefit of replays. 

image.png

That's far too close to call, the defender next to Freeman is nearer to the goal than he is. Whether he is level with Kodjia can be argued either way.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Looking at that video still, great "decision" and execution by Joe to shoot across to the far post. Excellent

...and an even better decision by Kodjia to "make sure" because if the ball did go on to hit the post and come straight back in the direction it came from, it would have likely fallen at Freeman's feet, unmarked with a completely open goal, 1 yard out. I don't like those odds and fear we'd have had to settle for just the 5 goals that day.

36 minutes ago, screech said:

That's far too close to call, the defender next to Freeman is nearer to the goal than he is. Whether he is level with Kodjia can be argued either way.

I would say that screenshot shows quite conclusively that Kodjia was offside..  Kodjia is on the 6 yard line and only one other player is closer to goal,  therefore it is offside. Not that it matters anyway! 

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

It's a tight one as the goalie is diving backwards at the moment of Joe's shot and remember it is any part of a player's body (that they can legally play the ball with) that must be level with (or behind) at least 2 opponents. 

I've screen grabbed it on my phone but those with a computer monitor will be able to see better. 

Anyway, as others have said, an extremely tough call for the lino, especially given the time that passed between Joe shooting, Kodjia getting a touch and the complicating factor of whether Kodjia actually got that touch...all in realtime, looking through bodies and without the benefit of replays. 

image.png

dont think the GK's hand is playing Kodjia onside there, his feet are on the edge of one of the grass patches which i'm guesstimating to be about 5-6 yards each (using 6 yard box and pen spot for reference) with bent legs and arms out to his side i dont see him making up the yards or so.

3 hours ago, Buckeyed said:

I would say that screenshot shows quite conclusively that Kodjia was offside..  Kodjia is on the 6 yard line and only one other player is closer to goal,  therefore it is offside. Not that it matters anyway! 

Look again more closely, in between number 15 and the bloke on the goal line there is another defender.

It is a red herring whether Kodjia was offside or not, the goal was given. I can understand those not wanting to credit the goal to Kodjia if upon review a goal can be chalked off for being offside even days after it was initially given. But that doesn't happen, so there is nothing to fear. For my money it was Kodjia's goal. He got the final touch and since football first started a goal is credited to the last attacking player who makes contact with the ball before it crosses the line with the build up to that goal having no bearing whatsoever on that outcome in terms of whose name is credited with the goal. Furthermore, there was a good chance the shot would have hit the inside of the post, it might then have gone in, but there is a chance it would not have. Had this occurred in the 2008 play-off final v Hull in the dying minutes and not v Bolton when we were 5-0 up in the dying minutes, and Kodjia had just stood there thinking Bryan deserves the goal so he wouldn't follow it in and then the ball hit the inside of the post then ran along the goal line and been cleared, Kodjia (who obviously like Bryan didn't play in 2008) would've been vilified for the rest of his career as the player who cost us a place in the Premier League! Nobody at all would come on here posting that he should have left the shot alone.

Having looked at this a few times now, I'm not surprised Joe didn't pass to JK. I think LJ might want to look at JK's positioning rather than Joe's "decision making."

I can see JK offside at 3 separate points in this attack alone! Maybe that impacted on Joe's thinking and the decisions he made?

The first was as Joe approached halfway and Bolton's last man, JK is clearly a couple of yards (or, "miles") offside. So good decision not to pass.

Second, as Joe nears the keeper, he is caught up by a defender. He is not close enough yet to the keeper to pass it to JK for a simple tap in. He needs another stride or two to take the keeper out of the equation. And at this point JK is either just offside, or so close to it - borderline - that Joe has to weigh up whether he is or isn't and so on. So, understandable decision not to pass.

Third, as Joe shoots a second time, with his right foot, JK looks to be offside again (Joe probably not seeing this but JK being offside might have been on his mind still).

We've all been banging on on here about JK being offside a lot. The players will be highly aware of it too! I think JK being offside was on Joe's mind throughout this and it effected his "decision making" as he ran towards Bolton's goal.

Plus, we were 5 nil up with 2 minutes left and JK had just scored himself a minute ago. Joe probably thought "sod it, I'm having this one." 

And finally, JK would likely have had to use his left foot to score had Joe passed, another thing to consider.

So, in summary: LJ is wrong, you're decision making is fine Joe. But JK probably stuck his stud on it and nicked "your" goal off you, cos you didn't pass to him  :)

16 hours ago, Ian M said:

...and an even better decision by Kodjia to "make sure" because if the ball did go on to hit the post and come straight back in the direction it came from, it would have likely fallen at Freeman's feet, unmarked with a completely open goal, 1 yard out. I don't like those odds and fear we'd have had to settle for just the 5 goals that day.

That is very unkind

18 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Looking at that video still, great "decision" and execution by Joe to shoot across to the far post. Excellent

Hardly difficult was it?  There's a gert big white arrow pointing Joe in the right direction.

Archived