IGNORED

Kodja's Goal

NYTRAM

1 hour ago, phantom said:

1 hour ago, Doozerchris said:

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Every other TV and radio advert these days seems to be for a gambling website or phone app. It drives me mad. However when so many people are encouraged to invest so much money in predicting outcomes of sporting contests, it is inevitable that the definitive goal scorer in a football match has to be correctly identified. 

I agree that Joe deserved the goal but sadly sentiment no longer counts. JK did get the faintest touch as the ball crossed the line so should be awarded the goal otherwise I can see bookies and or punters getting ansi (maybe not over this particular goal but as a general principle).

The principle of 'last touch' doesn't seem to apply when managers often announce their player is going to 'claim the goal' for an 'on target shot/header', even when an opposition player has clearly got the last touch and there would traditionally have been no question that it went down as an OG.

Not relevant to the Kodjia/Bryan incident perhaps but the whole principle of 'definitive goalscorer' seems open to opinion and who shouts loudest - it won't be the defender that's for sure - and therefore remains a murky area to me.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I thought at the time it was Joe's goal, it deserved to be for that run alone, so I was surprised to hear later on Saturday that it had been given to Kodjia. But seeing Joe's reaction on that video I dont think he thought he had scored anyway, he seems to be looking over at Kodjia and congratulating him. 

I didn't take Joe's expression towards JK as congratulatory at all.

What word describes an expression showing both immediate delight (at your shot ending up in the net for a brilliant solo goal) suddenly mixing with disbelief and disappointment at the almost immediate realisation that someone else is going to justifiably claim the goal for an almost certainly unnecessary final touch just as it went over the line? A fixed expression between joy and horror.

I'm not sure such a word exists, but if it does it would describe JB's feelings at that moment exactly imo.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

What word describes an expression showing both immediate delight (at your shot ending up in the net for a brilliant solo goal) suddenly mixing with disbelief and disappointment at the almost immediate realisation that someone else is going to justifiably claim the goal for an almost certainly unnecessary final touch just as it went over the line? A fixed expression between joy and horror.

I'm not sure such a word exists, but if it does it would describe JB's feelings at that moment exactly imo.

Having watched the replay several times, I think JK had to get that touch.

• Admin
58 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

He was in an offside position. When Joe hits his shot JK is on the six yard line. There is one defender inside the six yard box, the keeper and other defenders are outside, therefore he was in an offside position when the ball was played. Offside is taken on the second last defender not the last one. Still I will forgive the linesman for a shocking lack of concentration.

He ran past the defender nearest him to slide in

Screenshot_2016-03-24-11-52-18.png

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't think it's murky, it only applies in relation to an OG that if the effort was on target it's credited with the attacking player. 

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

He ran past the defender nearest him to slide in

Screenshot_2016-03-24-11-52-18.png

Definitely offside. If you look closely and freeze the moment Joe takes his final shot the only defender ahead of JK is number 45. Number 31 and 15 ( and the keeper) are clearly outside the six yard area. JK is on the six yard line at that moment ahead of all Bolton players apart from number 45. To be onside you need two defenders ( one usually the keeper, but not always). JK was ahead of the ball and only had one Bolton player ahead of him at the time that Joe shot, therefore offside. As I said before though, I will forgive the linesman for missing it.

53 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Exactly as I read it, the look of almost disbelief followed by 'you got to be kidding me'

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Being pendantic of course you could point that out - BUT the simple thing was for Bryan to roll the ball square to Kodjia and have an empty net.

As already pointed out above - this is what LJ is referring to when saying players need to be making the right decisions on the ball

Above,  and always make sure the ball ends up in the back of the net don't take any chances.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I meant it more that Joe didn't realise how close it was to being his goal, he seemed to accept that Kodjia needed to put it in. 

Anyway, I'm glad it went in, good to see us following up. How many times have we seen players in the past all stood around with their hands on their hips. 

Kodjia is at a clear disadvantage in the top goal scoring charts in that he didn't get to play against us when we were playing 3-5-2 and fill his boots.

If you take away Andre Gray's 4 goals against us then Kodjia is even closer to the supposed best striker in the division. :whistle:

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The principle of 'last touch' doesn't seem to apply when managers often announce their player is going to 'claim the goal' for an 'on target shot/header', even when an opposition player has clearly got the last touch and there would traditionally have been no question that it went down as an OG.

If a shot is on target before an opposition player touches it, it is not an OG.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Definitely offside. If you look closely and freeze the moment Joe takes his final shot the only defender ahead of JK is number 45. Number 31 and 15 ( and the keeper) are clearly outside the six yard area. JK is on the six yard line at that moment ahead of all Bolton players apart from number 45. To be onside you need two defenders ( one usually the keeper, but not always). JK was ahead of the ball and only had one Bolton player ahead of him at the time that Joe shot, therefore offside. As I said before though, I will forgive the linesman for missing it.

It's a tight one as the goalie is diving backwards at the moment of Joe's shot and remember it is any part of a player's body (that they can legally play the ball with) that must be level with (or behind) at least 2 opponents. 

I've screen grabbed it on my phone but those with a computer monitor will be able to see better. 

Anyway, as others have said, an extremely tough call for the lino, especially given the time that passed between Joe shooting, Kodjia getting a touch and the complicating factor of whether Kodjia actually got that touch...all in realtime, looking through bodies and without the benefit of replays. 

image.png

Yea I'm not getting the big deal here. We've said we have no fox in the box all season and Kodjia gets that kind of goal and many are up in arms because Joe made a good run. Kodjia doesn't know if it is a cross or a shot. He doesn't know if it is going in or not. In a split second decision he attacked and got the goal. He's done exactly what any striker should have. Great run by Joe and he deserves all the credit for a great run but Kodjia has done his job as well. 

4 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

5 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

He was in an offside position. When Joe hits his shot JK is on the six yard line. There is one defender inside the six yard box, the keeper and other defenders are outside, therefore he was in an offside position when the ball was played. Offside is taken on the second last defender not the last one. Still I will forgive the linesman for a shocking lack of concentration.

I think most of us know what the offside law is, there's no need to keep repeating it.

3 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Kodjia is at a clear disadvantage in the top goal scoring charts in that he didn't get to play against us when we were playing 3-5-2 and fill his boots.

If you take away Andre Gray's 4 goals against us then Kodjia is even closer to the supposed best striker in the division. :whistle:

And Gray has scored 4 pens this season. So Kodj is doing alright. More than alright

Archived