IGNORED

JK 'wanted'

mattjtsmith

17 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Flint Smith Kodjia and Bryan are pretty much the best players we have contracted to us. We would be nuts to think they are not known at clubs that could afford to purchase. There are already early rumours about Flint (he is after all one of our leading scorers over two years) and everyone needs forwards who have proved they can score in this league like codge, with as you say a bottom 5/6 club.

If Baker goes back to Villa and we do not make a good enough offer to them/he does not want to stay, anyone would be nuts to think he would not be at least asked the question, is anyone any good and are they ok in the dressing room?

As has been stated earlier, City will sell if the right offer comes in and the right player is available (either internally or externally) and this revenue gets to buy new players or support the ongoing work with our academy. Baker and Flint is a possibility at both AG and Villa next season, offers for Kodjia are inevitable and enquiries for Bryan are likely to....This is a good thing when compared to the last 30 years!

Going slightly off topic but you brought up Baker I still believe as well as Baker has played well this season, I believe  LJ would prefer to pay big money for a defender who can play it out from the back.

If and a big IF we go on a top8/6 play off challenge next season (maybe I'm getting ahead a little) we can't afford to be subbing cbs off at half time because they go in for too many risky challenges when under pressure.  

37 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

So are we suggesting that when a player we have on loan returns to his parent club - who will be in the same division as us ( hopefully) his recommendation is going to encourage that club to buy half of our first team? And that is a "first team" that has been in and around the bottom 5/6 all season! ? Really?

Re Kodjia, I doubt there will be that much interest, there may be some but not at 5/6m, as said above he is 27 and this is his first season at a decent level .

Villa will be on a huge clear out this summer & given their financial situation & the fact of how much money they'll bring in from their clear out, they will be in a very good position.

Baker has first hand experience of who will be able to perform at the top end of this division, especially if those players are surrounded by slightly better players than they are currently playing with!!

Villa will also want to sort out their financial situation, get rid of those high earners & replace them with lower earning players & this will put them in a good position if & when they make the move back up!!

They could take any of our players & double their wages & they would still be way down the high earners on Villa's current wage list!!

And they already have all the inside knowledge they need-Baker!!

28 minutes ago, samo II said:

We've no need to sell, he's on a long contract, and he could end up on close to 20 goals in a relatively low scoring side.

Unless he's given an opportunity to go to a top flight side here or perhaps back in France then I'd suggest we are in a strong postion to get a very good fee for him.

Ultimately, I hope he stays and developa here; with a year of learning the language, getting used to the English game, and a full summer settled here and working with the team I think he could be even more impressive than he has at times been here.

Just think of the sort of crazy money we'd have to spend to buy a 15-20 goal at this level, and with his contribution being a significant portion of our goals scored this year all this talk of taking 'gambles' neglects to take into account that without a reliable source of goals we'd have been relegated by now.

We have no reason to and even though we should get  more revenue with the new build. The club must still be having nightmares of not getting that 6/7 million for Maynard not that it's city's fault he didn't want to join  little Leicester city , I mean where are they now.........:whistle:

8 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Villa will be on a huge clear out this summer & given their financial situation & the fact of how much money they'll bring in from their clear out, they will be in a very good position.

Baker has first hand experience of who will be able to perform at the top end of this division, especially if those players are surrounded by slightly better players than they are currently playing with!!

Villa will also want to sort out their financial situation, get rid of those high earners & replace them with lower earning players & this will put them in a good position if & when they make the move back up!!

They could take any of our players & double their wages & they would still be way down the high earners on Villa's current wage list!!

All true; but you're talking as though Villa are a well run, well managed, diligent club. 

They will have a new manager coming in with his own ideas to stamp too and he'll be hamstrung as to just how much business he can do in any case. To think he might follow Baker's suggestions, a player he will possibly not know and not have the trust in, given he'll be able to make limited moves, is a helluva leap. 

Frankly, I think it rather likely Baker will be available to us if we want to keep him. I don't believe he'll be very influential to any manager either. 

As for cash rich I don't think they'll be. Huge debts, owner wants to sell, poor quality players on strong wages. They might shift a few but I doubt there's any real transfer fee income there. 

2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

All true; but you're talking as though Villa are a well run, well managed, diligent club. 

They will have a new manager coming in with his own ideas to stamp too and he'll be hamstrung as to just how much business he can do in any case. To think he might follow Baker's suggestions, a player he will possibly not know and not have the trust in, given he'll be able to make limited moves, is a helluva leap. 

Frankly, I think it rather likely Baker will be available to us if we want to keep him. I don't believe he'll be very influential to any manager either. 

This summer will be Villa's opportunity to put their wrongs right & I would expect them to go for a British manager who already has some knowledge of the division they are in & what it'll take for them to start moving in the right direction again!!

Re Kodjia: we are in a decent position, he's got 2 years left with City option of another year.  You start to run the risk with 1 year left....we aren't in this position.  We need to play hardball with any prospective suitors.  I know he's 27, but he is on the up.  Easy for me to say but £7m minimum.  I'd offer him a renewed contract personally.  If not, he's not gonna want to let his contract run down for 2 years.  I would think he's quite grateful for the big money (for him) move to City.  Other clubs looked at him, but weren't prepared to sign him.

Re Baker: as Villa have no idea who will be in charge next season, I'm not convinced any manager worth his salt would as a player for targets.  They might ask what one of their targets character is like.  For example, I like a Smith, what do you think from seeing him day 2 day.

5 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

This summer will be Villa's opportunity to put their wrongs right & I would expect them to go for a British manager who already has some knowledge of the division they are in & what it'll take for them to start moving in the right direction again!!

Like Tim Sherwood was?

they are a huge club but they need to sort out the back room and be sold. Until then they are a poisoned chalice and I don't think there'd be too many queuing up for it. Their best bet would be Pearson, I'm not wholly convinced he'll want it. 

If Boro came up in the summer, which doesn't seem all unlikely with Karanka crying and failure to win promotion, I think he'd favour that job. 

If we're looking to progress next season, then selling our top scorer isn't the way to do it. 

However, I agree that if the fee was right, and enough to allow us to recruit a player of similar proven ability, then we could let him go.

He's scored 14 league goals in his first season for a struggling side. The signs are that with more time in the league, the country and in a better side he could be a huge asset. 

The only risk to any potential suitors are that he may struggle to reproduce this form. I don't buy that at 27 his age is a serious issue. He's in his prime. You're looking at 3 or 4 seasons at least before age would become a concern. 

We're all well aware of what the going rate for a striker is in this league. To consider selling for any less than the fees we were quoted would be ludicrous. 

4 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

We have no reason to and even though we should get  more revenue with the new build. The club must still be having nightmares of not getting that 6/7 million for Maynard not that it's city's fault he didn't want to join  little Leicester city , I mean where are they now.........:whistle:

You know that had not crossed my mind, re Maynard, until now....Yes he must feel an even bigger knob!

However as you say 'little Leicester' were not good enough for the mighty Nicky, but a villa or a Sunderland, for example, making an enquiry/offer for one of ours would engender a conversation between player and agent. The usual scenario (see WBA) is club reject offer, player slaps in transfer request, club have a choice, sell or force player to honour his contract....Not a good scenario if said 15mil footballer is banished to the stiffs ala Berahino.

As much as clubs and players have contracts an offer from a club with cash and history is not easy to stave off sensibly!  

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

You know that had not crossed my mind, re Maynard, until now....Yes he must feel an even bigger knob!

However as you say 'little Leicester' were not good enough for the mighty Nicky, but a villa or a Sunderland, for example, making an enquiry/offer for one of ours would engender a conversation between player and agent. The usual scenario (see WBA) is club reject offer, player slaps in transfer request, club have a choice, sell or force player to honour his contract....Not a good scenario if said 15mil footballer is banished to the stiffs ala Berahino.

As much as clubs and players have contracts an offer from a club with cash and history is not easy to stave off sensibly!  

It's a shame we didn't think it regarding the recent fixture but no doubt if we play them next season which  is unlikely as i think Mk will go down , then there will be some Leicester city chants....I will happily take the credit . 

Re player and agent power I think fair play to teams who don't sell there big players unless valuation met e.g west brom.  It seems odemwingie was either mislead by his agent (highly likely ) or was desperate to leave even if it meant embarrassing himself....

2 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

It's a shame we didn't think it regarding the recent fixture but no doubt if we play them next season which  is unlikely as i think Mk will go down , then there will be some Leicester city chants....I will happily take the credit . 

Re player and agent power I think fair play to teams who dint sell there big players unless valuation met e.g west brom.  It seems odemwingie was either mislead by his agent (highly likely ) or was desperate to leave even if it meant embarrassing himself....

Yes I like the Leicester chant...Credit miketh2nd

Did you mean Odemwingie in your second sentence?

Simple fact is, we bought him with the idea to sell on at a much higher value. It was a gamble but one that is paying off. Hardest part is selling a player you get attached to but if we can show we provide a path to the prem for exciting foreigners, we could see a lot more like him join us

We can't get attached to players...JK has value now. If the price is right...at 27 this year, it's the time to sell.

Invest again and go...

I'd be looking at Martin Braithwaite as a replacement. should be playing for Denmark this week...plays for Toulouse in France only 24 ;-)

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

We can't get attached to players...JK has value now. If the price is right...at 27 this year, it's the time to sell.

Invest again and go...

I'd be looking at Martin Braithwaite as a replacement. should be playing for Denmark this week...plays for Toulouse in France only 24 ;-)

A journalist who covers Angers said early on this season that they have a  40% sell on clause on any profit that we made on the €3m we paid.

To me that makes it far less likely we'd sell unless we got offered a silly amount of money (say £9m).

42 minutes ago, spudski said:

Invest again and go...

He's never hit double figures in his career mind, he has got 8 so far this year. I think Kodjia should be kept unless we get a ridiculous bid in.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

A journalist who covers Angers said early on this season that they have a  40% sell on clause on any profit that we made on the €3m we paid.

To me that makes it far less likely we'd sell unless we got offered a silly amount of money (say £9m).

I agree...the price has to be right.

44 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

He's never hit double figures in his career mind, he has got 8 so far this year. I think Kodjia should be kept unless we get a ridiculous bid in.

I know West Ham are looking at him...but he's not sure about going there, as he wouldn't be guaranteed football...like JK, he wants first team football and to play in England.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

I know West Ham are looking at him...but he's not sure about going there, as he wouldn't be guaranteed football...like JK, he wants first team football and to play in England.

I think we could do worse but I imagine many team will be in for him around Europe as he Toulouse will be relegated and he is certain to go. Also could look at Yussef Poulsen who plays for the same country and is at RBL in the German second division though they could be going up(haven't looked in awhile). He's 21 or 22 fast and tall. He'd be expensive I imagine but if we got a good sum for Kodjia, I think we should reinvest most of it into his replacement. Need goal scorers in this league to be as successful as we want(say we want anyway). 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

40% seems a little steep?

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wow I've just realised Toulouse are 2nd from bottom. Perhaps we could get Braithwaite for cheap then. But Kodjia should be kept at all costs (within reason) we'll struggle to find someone who can score 20 a season for so cheap. Ben Yedder could play for a big club imo. 

29 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

40% seems a little steep?

Perhaps it was the only way we could get the deal done? 

The French journalist has no reason to lie.

Anyway after the shambles as to how the rest of our summer dealings turned out let's just be grateful we got him.

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Perhaps it was the only way we could get the deal done? 

The French journalist has no reason to lie.

Anyway after the shambles as to how the rest of our summer dealings turned out let's just be grateful we got him.

Not saying it is a lie but seems strange to give almost half of the profit away just like that unless that was the compromise small fee but big sell on.  

7 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

And how exactly will Baker know who can perform at the top end of this league? We are nowhere near that level and logic suggests that is partly due to the quality of players we currently have compared to the teams that are at the top end. It's not all down to the quality of player but that does play a significant part.

I think it is fanciful, to say the least, that the new Villa manager, because I am certain there will be one, will take the recommendations of a player that was not deemed good enough this season, hence the loan to us, for a club that is likely to be relegated with one of the lowest points totals in history.

I also think the paper talk about Flint interesting Sunderland and West Brom is simply that "paper talk" or his agent angling for a better deal than the one signed last summer.

18 minutes ago, shelts said:

Be lucky to triple our money on Kodja. Done brill this season but no better now than when I saw him make debut at Yeovil in pre season. Hopefully Little Lee can make him better. 

I was quite impressed with him at Yeovil, and have continued to be throughout the season.

Archived