IGNORED

JK 'wanted'

mattjtsmith

14 minutes ago, shelts said:

Quite a mixed bag from Kodja at times. Hope he improves and we sell him for loads. 

Yes.....or he stays and fires us into a promo challenging team.

But that's what you get for €3m these days, and to be fair we could've spent a lot more for less of a return.  15 goals in a struggling, low scoring side, is a very respectable effort.

If he was better, 1) he'd have cost more than €3m and 2) wouldn't have come to us :P

Compare to Nugent £4m in a promotion chasing team. 8 in 30 (22+8).

Compare Nick Blackman £2.5m, but worth a lot more, had he not been in final year of contract.  Not scored in 11 (5+6) games.  So no guarantees either.

Very difficult to scout and then bring in someone and expect them to hit the ground running.

I agree he can be mixed, but I'm glad he's here.  I wonder what he thinks about life and football at The Gate?  Hope he's enjoying it.

6 minutes ago, City1970 said:

I agree, LJ may not rate him.

Lord help us of LJ doesn't rate a top 5 scorer in this league on a team that has struggled to score all season. We saw it against Bolton, JK can easily play the quick football LJ craves. 2 goals and an assist in 30 minutes isn't a bad return and I don't care how bad the opposition is. I'd go as far as saying JK fits this style perfectly and other then Andre Gray, Hernandez and maybe Nakhi Wells, no one else in the league would suit it better. 

So I know what you two meant that maybe LJ could see JK as a luxury and can get good money and turn it into a better squad but I don't see it that way. We don't have to sell and if we did I would hope they get the 6-7m everyone has been stating. He is the striker we need though. We need another with similar abilities(lower league or foreign) and another target man type like Wilbs for the different option. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 20 this year. His last two games he's played about 75 minutes total and is coming off an international break. He should be rested and ready for a strong finish and I don't know why but he strikes me as a warm weather player. Combine rest with the warmer weather and I think he's got plenty more goals. Which would make it clear he fits in here. 

• Very little English language when he joined us - doesn't seem to have been a problem
  • Has scored very well in his first season in England
  • Plays with a smile on his face and clearly loves the response from the fans when he scores.
  • For a 26 (or 27!) year old, he doesn't seem injury prone
  • When he's been rested, he certainly hasn't sulked.

I think there is more to come so I would be disappointed if we sold him this summer.  In a difficult season, JK has done extremely well.

It could be clever business to sell Kodjia if we can get £6m for him. Clearly, the tactic of buying a top scorer from a foreign second division is a sound one (since every Championship team seems to do it), so it may be worth bigging him up and readying an early bid for whoever is next on the Championship wish list.

Personally, I think there's more to come from him. I don't think he's as great as a lot of fans on here seem to think, but I think he could be a top forward in this division with some more work.

If Johnson wanted to drum up interest to sell Kodjia he'd go to a national paper, not the Evening Post.

I don't think their one reader, Frank from St George, will offer more than half a pint of Fosters from the local whetherspoons for JK.

I'm sure there will be a lot more national interest come the summer when transfers are clubs sole focus.

i think we all need to anticipate his sale for a good sum and hope we replace well. Put it this way, with the new to deal, there is going to be some stupid money being spent so we may just get a nice sum if we can drum up a bidding war

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

It could be clever business to sell Kodjia if we can get £6m for him. Clearly, the tactic of buying a top scorer from a foreign second division is a sound one (since every Championship team seems to do it), so it may be worth bigging him up and readying an early bid for whoever is next on the Championship wish list.

Not that clever- we made an initial £2.1m outlay, so that sum makes a £3.9m profit, nearly £1.6m of which then goes to Angers, therefore unless clubs start bidding over £8m we should say no as there is no sense at all in considering selling him for that sort of money.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes.....or he stays and fires us into a promo challenging team.

But that's what you get for €3m these days, and to be fair we could've spent a lot more for less of a return.  15 goals in a struggling, low scoring side, is a very respectable effort.

If he was better, 1) he'd have cost more than €3m and 2) wouldn't have come to us :P

Compare to Nugent £4m in a promotion chasing team. 8 in 30 (22+8).

Compare Nick Blackman £2.5m, but worth a lot more, had he not been in final year of contract.  Not scored in 11 (5+6) games.  So no guarantees either.

Very difficult to scout and then bring in someone and expect them to hit the ground running.

I agree he can be mixed, but I'm glad he's here.  I wonder what he thinks about life and football at The Gate?  Hope he's enjoying it.

He's decent and I agree with your post. Massive step up this season so lots of credit to him and his goals. Good signing for good money. 

21 hours ago, spudski said:

We can't get attached to players...JK has value now. If the price is right...at 27 this year, it's the time to sell.

I'd disagree. I think his value's likely to be at its highest after next season.

This has been his acclimatisation season, also the first time he's played more than 20 games I think I read somewhere. You'd think next season after a year getting used to English football - the physicality, the language and cultural barrier - and hopefully with a better team around him, he's very likely (barring injury or some unforseen circumstance) to do even better, and then you're talking 20+ goals. 

He hasn't recieved a great deal of attention in the media, compared to say Andre Gray this time last year after a similar amount of goals, I guess because as a club we haven't been doing so well. I don't think we'd get crazy money for him this summer, but in a years time if he progresses as you'd think he would we could for certain.

58 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

I'd disagree. I think his value's likely to be at its highest after next season.

This has been his acclimatisation season, also the first time he's played more than 20 games I think I read somewhere. You'd think next season after a year getting used to English football - the physicality, the language and cultural barrier - and hopefully with a better team around him, he's very likely (barring injury or some unforseen circumstance) to do even better, and then you're talking 20+ goals. 

He hasn't recieved a great deal of attention in the media, compared to say Andre Gray this time last year after a similar amount of goals, I guess because as a club we haven't been doing so well. I don't think we'd get crazy money for him this summer, but in a years time if he progresses as you'd think he would we could for certain.

It's always a gamble as to what to do...if the price is good then it would make sense.

As for next season...you'd like to think he'd improve...but football is a funny ol game. He could get injured, he could have a really lean season, he could score 20...who knows!

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's always a gamble as to what to do...if the price is good then it would make sense.

As for next season...you'd like to think he'd improve...but football is a funny ol game. He could get injured, he could have a really lean season, he could score 20...who knows!

What's Amir Zaki up to nowadays?

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not that clever- we made an initial £2.1m outlay, so that sum makes a £3.9m profit, nearly £1.6m of which then goes to Angers, therefore unless clubs start bidding over £8m we should say no as there is no sense at all in considering selling him for that sort of money.

Geez, I didn't know that we had a sell-on clause with Angers as well as the £2.1m we paid. It sounds like we didn't get a great deal as I initially thought!

As you've said, it'd need to be over £8m, but for it to be that much Kodjia would need to be firing on all cylinders.

With that being said, given our previous history, I fully expect us to break even at best with this deal. Mark Ashton might help the club perform better on the transfer market, but I'm still not sold on our ability to buy and sell well.

On 3/28/2016 at 12:52, Doozerchris said:

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Really a surprise to hear of a sell on clause being included? I thought it was near enough standard practice these days for any player. But £2.1m for a guy who can score 15-20 goals a season is still a great deal.

No, it's the size of it.

Up to 20% may be fairly common but 40% strikes me as huge and excessive, in fact the biggest sell on I've ever heard of.

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No, it's the size of it.

Up to 20% may be fairly common but 40% strikes me as huge and excessive, in fact the biggest sell on I've ever heard of.

Yeah I'd be surprised with 40% too but given the relatively small fee to start with, say we got £7m this summer we'd end up paying Angers another £2m ish, so £4.1m total say for a striker who has scored 15+ in a season, I'd still consider that cheap.

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Geez, I didn't know that we had a sell-on clause with Angers as well as the £2.1m we paid. It sounds like we didn't get a great deal as I initially thought!

This sort of response just baffles me.

Kodjia was not only the top scorer in the division last year but also was chosen as  Ligue 2 player of the year for a side that also won promotion, so who in their right mind thinks they'd simply give him away? We had to make them want to sell him.

With no English or track record outside Ligue 2 he also represented a significant gamble for us, so we mitigated that by spending less on him up front, (very wise in my opinion) for someone who if you look at his career stats we've bought largely on the basis of one good season.

This reminds me of suggestions like us signing Nakhi Wells, at a similar sized club in our league, we simply shouldn't expect these players to be desperate to join us or that comparable clubs are always keen to sell.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No, it's the size of it.

Likely to be larger because it's a sell on of profit, not of the fee. Not done the maths, but pretty sure it works out better for us than say a 20% of fee

20 minutes ago, City169 said:

Likely to be larger because it's a sell on of profit, not of the fee. Not done the maths, but pretty sure it works out better for us than say a 20% of fee

Depends on how much you sell him for.

Keeping it in Euros:

€6m is the break even point.

either: €6m * 0.2 = €1.2m or

€6m - €3m = €3m * 0.4 = €1.2m

Convert back to £ (easier to do €1.5:£1) and we're talking £4m.  Any more and Angers do better, but it is all relative....would we have gotten him for £2m without the clause?

[just did a bit a geeky algebra to prove the math.....been a while]

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Depends on how much you sell him for.

Keeping it in Euros:

€6m is the break even point.

either: €6m * 0.2 = €1.2m or

€6m - €3m = €3m * 0.4 = €1.2m

Convert back to £ (easier to do €1.5:£1) and we're talking £4m.  Any more and Angers do better, but it is all relative....would we have gotten him for £2m without the clause?

[just did a bit a geeky algebra to prove the math.....been a while]

Cheers for doing the maths. There is also the option of us keeping him regardless, having his best years and selling him for a million or so, and not having to pay angers any more. If we could guarantee more seasons with goal returns like this one then I wouldn't be against that

23 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Lord helpis of LJ doesn't rate a top 5 s corer LG this league on a team that ha s struggled to score all season. We saw it against Bolton, JK can easily play the quick football LJ craves. 2 goals and an assist in 30 minutes isn't a bad return and I don't care how bad the opposition is. I'd go as far as saying JK fits this style perfectly and other then Andre Gray, Hernandez and maybe Nakhi Wells, no one else in the league would suit it better. 

So I know what you two meant that maybe LJ could see JK as a luxury and can get good money and turn it into a better squad but I don't see it that way. We don't have to sell and if we did I would hope they get the 6-7m everyone has been stating. He is the striker we need though. We need another with similar abilities(lower league or foreign) and another target man type like Wilbs for the different option. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 20 this year. His last two games he's played about 75 minutes total and is coming off an international break. He should be rested and ready for a strong finish and I don't know why but he strikes me as a warm weather player. Combine rest with the warmer weather and I think he's got plenty more goals. Which would make it clear he fits in here. 

I agree with everything you have said.

JK is a player I rate and have been saying all season we need another striker of same quality. We now have Tomlin and Odewingie or whatever his name who are quality and compliments the squad which is why LJ can afford to rest Kodjia.

5 minutes ago, City1970 said:

I agree with everything you have said.

JK is a player I rate and have been saying all season we need another striker of same quality. We now have Tomlin and Odewingie or whatever his name who are quality and compliments the squad which is why LJ can afford to rest Kodjia.

I just hope the situation(or possible one) doesn't fall victim to overthinking. We can all pick apart his game based on what we've seen all year but truth is he's been a revelation. Sure he misses a few sitters but he also has the most shots in the league meaning he's getting into good spots quite often. He just needs more guidance and a full summer with the lads in his second year in the country and he could be a real problem for defences next season. Don't say he is a bit selfish and misses too many chances and sell him off quick because you(BCFC and staff) think you can do better. Keep him and nurture his game. Make it better. It's how investments get bigger and better. 

The other thing is that he can create his own chances and for others.....don't under-estimate that quality.  Had we had a poacher, they'd have had several tap-ins this season, he's slid loads of balls across the 6 yard box without anyone anticipating it...I accept the unpredictable nature of Kodjia might be a factor!

On 29/03/2016 at 18:20, GrahamC said:

This sort of response just baffles me.

Kodjia was not only the top scorer in the division last year but also was chosen as  Ligue 2 player of the year for a side that also won promotion, so who in their right mind thinks they'd simply give him away? We had to make them want to sell him.

With no English or track record outside Ligue 2 he also represented a significant gamble for us, so we mitigated that by spending less on him up front, (very wise in my opinion) for someone who if you look at his career stats we've bought largely on the basis of one good season.

This reminds me of suggestions like us signing Nakhi Wells, at a similar sized club in our league, we simply shouldn't expect these players to be desperate to join us or that comparable clubs are always keen to sell.

Don't get me wrong. We got him for a bargain, especially because the French leagues are rather weak and they aren't in a position to demand huge sums. I'm not disputing his worth.

The reason I say it wasn't a bargain is because we have a history of selling want-away players for less than their value. Kodjia has Championship experience, and could excel elsewhere, so I don't doubt that other teams might want to take a crack at him. The problem is that we need to start making a profit on these types of transfers, or we'll keep downgrading until we're a League 1 team again.

Also, this isn't as big a gamble as you'd expect. Championship clubs have been raiding second division clubs from other countries for years now. Kodjia is much cheaper than a comparable home-grown player. If I were manager, I'd already be casting an eye overseas, preparing to snap up any talent we can when our Championship status is secured.

Archived