IGNORED

Jack Payne (Merged)

Lew-T

9 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Most definitely not!!

8 out of last 10 seasons in the Premier League and an FA Cup win.  

That makes them pretty big for me.  I think most City fans think we are big when we've pretty much achieved nothing in the game.  Ask a neutral and they will say we are nothing and probably compare us to the likes of Peterborough 

11 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Would a Sheffield Utd fan really want Cotterill though? Of course we all recognise what he achieved here, but is his reputation as strong in the wider football world? I suspect he is still viewed as a hoofball dinosaur by many.

I think they'd be delighted with the bloke who won the league and JPT double. Further up the footballing ladder he might have reputation issues but in that league people will remember how good we were. 

44 minutes ago, RedDave said:

8 out of last 10 seasons in the Premier League and an FA Cup win.  

That makes them pretty big for me.  I think most City fans think we are big when we've pretty much achieved nothing in the game.  Ask a neutral and they will say we are nothing and probably compare us to the likes of Peterborough 

Likewise if you ask a neutral about Wigan they'd say they're a small club due to some of their laughable home and away attendances in the premier league.

look at Bentley at Southend who we were interested in at the start of the season rated one of the best Keepers outside the premiershite .

Southend have a line up of young talent there including England under 19 and under 15 Keepers and a young kid Jack Payne pulling the strings there

as posted here 6 weeks ago..

The forgotten story of Joe Payne

Is Jack Payne related to Joe Payne scorer of ten goals in a game v Rovers? Luton's former Bolsover Colliery man Payne had played only four league games that season, all of them at right-half, and none at all since September. "He has been regarded as the utility man of the reserves," wrote the Beds & Herts Evening Telegraph. "He has played at back, half-back, inside- and wing-forward but has been regarded primarily as a wing-half … the main fault supporters have had to find with him has been that he did not seem to take the game seriously enough." He had, though, played in attack for Bolsover, prompting one director to propose him as a stand-in striker. "Other directors gasped," the Bristol Evening Post wrote, "for it must be realised that Payne was considered a defender. Anyway, after a discussion, Payne was picked."

Payne, having missed several chances to score even more goals, had fallen a single strike short of making the League record his own. "Had Ellis (Rovers goalie) not been a splendid goalkeeper, the score would have reached 20,"

23 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Not really, still only got 12k a week in the Prem. I know it's bizarre in terms of relative success but in terms of potential fanbase Bradford are bigger than them imo.

Rubbish - Wigan average home attendances:

05/06 - 21k

06/07 - 18k

07/08 - 19k

08/09 - 18k

09/10 - 18k

10/11 - 17k

12/13 - 19k

13/14 - 15k - in the championship...

A bigger percentage of their population watch them than Bristolians watch us, long run in the premier league and won the FA cup, massive compared to us....

21 hours ago, Whitehead said:

look at Bentley at Southend who we were interested in at the start of the season rated one of the best Keepers outside the premiershite .

Southend have a line up of young talent there including England under 19 and under 15 Keepers and a young kid Jack Payne pulling the strings there

as posted here 6 weeks ago..

I remember the post 

23 hours ago, Iron Man said:

Likewise if you ask a neutral about Wigan they'd say they're a small club due to some of their laughable home and away attendances in the premier league.

I don't agree, wouldn't call their attendances 'laughable' at all.

They averaged between 17k and 21k at home between 2005 and 2013 - that's up to 7% of their population.

3% of Bristolians watch us and 1.5% of Bristol's population watch the gas - so Wigan get more than both of us added together.

A sobering thought....and all that in a town they share with a massive, successful sporting institution with a longer history.

Wigan Athletic do ok, their run in the premier league was impressive and they beat one of the richest clubs in the world in the FA Cup final quite recently.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Rubbish - Wigan average home attendances:

05/06 - 21k

06/07 - 18k

07/08 - 19k

08/09 - 18k

09/10 - 18k

10/11 - 17k

12/13 - 19k

13/14 - 15k - in the championship...

A bigger percentage of their population watch them than Bristolians watch us, long run in the premier league and won the FA cup, massive compared to us....

But, DW capacity is 25k and they never came anywhere near to filling that week in, week out despite unprecedented success, for them. Let's face it, loads of neutrals in the north west with no previous interest in Wigan Athletic, took the opportunity to get easy PL tickets and see some top class players and football, and now that has gone, half those people have disappeared.

What would their crowds be without the PL football?

They are a small club. Small clubs average 16k and 18k in the PL, and struggle to sell their allocation at Wembley.

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well they averaged 15k in the championship in 2013/14...so didn't lose anywhere near half their crowds 

Then 12k last season.

Now down again, to under 9k. Fewer than Barnsley. Despite a winning team.

Their numbers are slipping away. How many would be there if they weren't storming L1?

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Then 12k last season.

Now down again, to under 9k. Fewer than Barnsley. Despite a winning team.

Their numbers are slipping away. How many would be there if they weren't storming L1?

Hey, I only replied to two posts to disagree with their premier league home attendances being described as "an embarrassment' and 'laughable'.

Because they clearly weren't. And then I pointed out that they had averaged 15k in the championship - far from shabby given their population.

And then, as you pointed out, they averaged 12k in a relegation season, again not too bad.

So, now you want to debate league one?

I was just defending their home crowds in the premier league. Didn't really want to trace their subsequent demise. 

Newcastle once got a 9k home crowd when Ardiles was their manager...but you wouldn't exactly say they are a badly supported club...or would you?

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don't agree, wouldn't call their attendances 'laughable' at all.

They averaged between 17k and 21k at home between 2005 and 2013 - that's up to 7% of their population.

3% of Bristolians watch us and 1.5% of Bristol's population watch the gas - so Wigan get more than both of us added together.

A sobering thought....and all that in a town they share with a massive, successful sporting institution with a longer history.

Wigan Athletic do ok, their run in the premier league was impressive and they beat one of the richest clubs in the world in the FA Cup final quite recently.

But before Dave Whelan bought their way into the Prem, they were watched by 1500, in a tin shack and grass terracing. 

On 01/04/2016 at 14:52, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hey, I only replied to two posts to disagree with their premier league home attendances being described as "an embarrassment' and 'laughable'.

Because they clearly weren't. And then I pointed out that they had averaged 15k in the championship - far from shabby given their population.

And then, as you pointed out, they averaged 12k in a relegation season, again not too bad.

So, now you want to debate league one?

I was just defending their home crowds in the premier league. Didn't really want to trace their subsequent demise. 

Newcastle once got a 9k home crowd when Ardiles was their manager...but you wouldn't exactly say they are a badly supported club...or would you?

No I wouldn't. Sorry mate, see where you are coming from now!

Archived