IGNORED

Most mismanaged City player ever?

Just saw Paul Heffernan's name crop up on a thread, along with recent mentions of Steve Brooker and Danny Rose.

Heffernan was made to play mostly second fiddle or on the wing, whilst being a really good striker himself.

Steve Brooker's injuries were allegedly mismanaged, leading to recurring knee problems.

Danny Rose was played as a left winger if I remember correctly.

So, who has been the most mismanaged player at City? Someone who's not been given a chance here or misused, before going on to have success elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Just saw Paul Heffernan's name crop up on a thread, along with recent mentions of Steve Brooker and Danny Rose.

Heffernan was made to play mostly second fiddle or on the wing, whilst being a really good striker himself.

Steve Brooker's injuries were allegedly mismanaged, leading to recurring knee problems.

Danny Rose was played as a left winger if I remember correctly.

So, who has been the most mismanaged player at City? Someone who's not been given a chance here or misused, before going on to have success elsewhere.

Heffernone was simply not good enough IMO, as for Brooker I see Mr Wilshire is in the news again today some people don't behave like athletes IMO, Danny Rose came with an attitude but fair play to him since his return.

For me it has to be Lee Trundle, the free scoring striker that GJ tried to turn into an all round footballer a man close to 3O years of age.

Heffernan was simply unlucky in that his sole season with us coincided with the emergence of Lita plus Brooker (a completely different player) signing, meaning we had a 50 goal partnership up front.

I don't think he was mismanaged therefore.

For his subsequent achievements you'd have to place Yannick Bolasie pretty high up that list..

Heffernan wasn't exactly mismanaged while he was at City because, as mentioned, the form of Lita and Brooker made them undroppable.

However, anyone with an ounce of sense could have seen that Lita was going to leave in the summer of 2005 so allowing Heffernan to leave as well has always struck me as daft. I don't know the full story there though.

There's a case for saying that half the team was mismanaged during the Wilson era as they were allowed to get away with far too much off the pitch. Better managers than Wilson and Tinnion might have helped Christian Roberts more when he was struggling with his drinking. The player's got to want to change as well though and it's a football club not a clinic, so it can be argued both ways.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

A veteran player called Wilbraham was run into the ground by a certain manager.

A good City servant Liam Fontaine , first name on the team list for McInnes , first name in the scapegoat list for many ' supporters ' .

How was Fontaine miss managed? The 'supporters' (why the **** that is in commers?) Were rightly critical after he'd fallen over for the umpteenth time and cost the team yet another goal.

Also he wasn't a servant, he was a highly paid professional who consistently failed to do his job properly and consequently is playing in Scotland

24 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Heffernan wasn't exactly mismanaged while he was at City because, as mentioned, the form of Lita and Brooker made them undroppable.

However, anyone with an ounce of sense could have seen that Lita was going to leave in the summer of 2005 so allowing Heffernan to leave as well has always struck me as daft. I don't know the full story there though.

I suppose that's what I mean by mentioning Heff. The fact he was allowed to leave was awful, when it was clear he would have been our main man the following season.

9 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

How was Fontaine miss managed? The 'supporters' (why the **** that is in commers?) Were rightly critical after he'd fallen over for the umpteenth time and cost the team yet another goal.

Also he wasn't a servant, he was a highly paid professional who consistently failed to do his job properly and consequently is playing in Scotland

Agree with he first part, disagree with the second. 

He was a good servant to the club and had many many good games for us. Peoples views are clouded by his final few months, which were awful to be honest.

41 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

The disgrace that Yannick Bolasie spent most his City career on the bench. Class player and was hardly used.

When he played he was very raw. He had potential and sometimes looked dangerous but you've completely made up that he was anywhere near class at the time.

I'm pretty sure Danny Rose was widely thought of as a left-winger when he was with us.  I don't know for sure but I think that's where he played on most of his loans and possibly in the Spurs reserves too.  I also don't actually think we mismanaged him - at the time his attitude didn't seem great and he seemed to work a lot harder in the 45 minutes he was on the same side of the pitch as the managers' bench.  He deserves a lot of credit for maturing, knuckling down and making the most of his talent but I don't agree he was mismanaged. 

Agreed, Lee Trundle.

We should have built the team around him and given him free reign.  Also, played him up front and centre or just behind, not out on the wing.

Doesn't Ranieri have a policy where his three strikers come back as far as the halfway line and stop there, thus maintaining pressure on the opposition!!!!

Trundle should have been a superstar at City and instead, sadly, he was totally wasted.

15 minutes ago, Selred said:

He was a good servant to the club and had many many good games for us. Peoples views are clouded by his final few months, which were awful to be honest.

Make that final two years and I agree with you.

3 minutes ago, cityfan said:

Agreed, Lee Trundle.

We should have built the team around him and given him free reign.  Also, played him up front and centre or just behind, not out on the wing.

Doesn't Ranieri have a policy where his three strikers come back as far as the halfway line and stop there, thus maintaining pressure on the opposition!!!!

Trundle should have been a superstar at City and instead, sadly, he was totally wasted.

We reached the playoff final using Trundle as we did. He hardly went on to show us where we went wrong afterwards either.

He was a league one striker when we signed him and he never achieved anything better than he did with us in 2007/08. The closest he came was 21 appearances as Swansea finished 7th in the Championship in 2009/10.

24 minutes ago, Selred said:

Professional footballers are not SERVANTS. They are very well paid athletes under contract to play football and get paid whether they do that or not.

43 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I hate to be pedantic but isn't a Commer a van from the 60s? I always wanted a Dormobile conversion but ended up with a Matchbox milk float ;)

45 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

When he played he was very raw. He had potential and sometimes looked dangerous but you've completely made up that he was anywhere near class at the time.

How would we know though as he never got played? Imagine him one wing and Adomah on the other, obviously Woolford was on another level to Bolasie at the time :facepalm: great decision from Millen and McInnes.

Archived