IGNORED

Is this our most important transfer window?

reddogkev

3 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Can't remember who said it now, but on RB last night prior to kickoff someone said they had asked LJ if the next transfer window would enable him to put together the team he wanted. His reply was it would take at least three windows!

Bloody hope he didn't say that!

8 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Can't remember who said it now, but on RB last night prior to kickoff someone said they had asked LJ if the next transfer window would enable him to put together the team he wanted. His reply was it would take at least three windows!

3 windows is tricky.

Cos you buy one, you get one free. I say, you buy one, you get one free.

Buying one and a half windows from safestyle has never really featured in the advert. I fear for the future.

57 minutes ago, RedM said:

@ciderbeansI'm not going to go through all your post as it's been done pretty well by @Phileas Foggbut I would argue totally against your comments about Pack and Tomlin.

The transfer window will be Lee's first real opportunity to stamp his mark on the team, he speaks well and I know for certain plans are in place for next season regarding the players. I firmly believe that the Johnson/Ashton combination looks far more productive in attracting players than the Cotterill/Burt one did less than a year ago.

I was coming home in the car last night and missed the exact words but didn't Lee say something about changes/being able to change and players being given a chance and if they can't then we simply change the personnel? I think Lee has a lot of intelligence, he talks calmly and fairly. He certainly notices things and looks like he will address them the right way. 

I did like Cotterill and wanted it to go right for him, but we said last night when listening to the interview that Cotts would have had a right sulk and been snappy to the point of rudeness in that interview. Very different managerial styles I would think, and like us the players are probably still adjusting. 

I agree with almost everything you've written here RedM. Tomlin is an excellent player, hard working and creative and always seems up for it. At one point yesterday I watched him run to the left back position to pick the ball up, when needed, and that was when he was playing wide on the right. Pack shows promise and like Joe and Korey has got better this season.  

Odemwingie is a class above, in every sense, his post-match interview on Player is spot on, and he has the experience to lead from the front, and maybe Kodjia can learn from him. Luke Freeman has lost his way…almost literally, no idea where he's going when he's on the ball…I hope he can find it before he's shown the door.

As for managers, I've been reflecting on what I find obnoxious about Neil Warnock, who seems a nice chap when he's relaxed. I'm afraid it's his pretence that all that nasty stuff he comes out with is just "banter". It's not, it's his first reaction, he's got a deeply unpleasant side to his character…that's what the "like father, like son" comment is all about. But then he remembers that people don't respect that and tries to dress his nasty comments up as something else…all a bit of fun.. a bit of colour. I'm not taken in. Cotts wasn't as clever at covering his first reactions, he was just plain rude to interviewers…people like Ed Hadwin who were just doing their job. I found it very uncomfortable listening and whilst I'm grateful for what he achieved I don't miss listening to his tantrums. Lee Johnson is cut from a different cloth, more respectful, and good luck to him. He did indeed say that if players couldn't consistently do what they were training to do they'd be out…in the context of the defending for their goal.

46 minutes ago, Super said:

Why? It seems reasonable and I remember Cotterill saying something similar, though he only needed two in the end.

3 windows sounds like a lot but it's only really one season. Sign a few players this summer to ensure we're clear of trouble next season, anyone who happens to become available in January and then add the finishing touches next summer ready for a crack at the top 6.

That's assuming of course that the team LJ wants is one capable of challenging for a top 6 place.

2 hours ago, MigratedRobin said:

No time for sentiment in the next transfer window! If the player has shown this season that he is not really up to it then he should be out the door. We probably need to offload about 6-8 players and we need to replace them with quality, from wherever we can.

We've been showing Adam el Abd the door for nearly two years now, but he doesn't seem to be getting the message. I wonder why that is?

since ashton and johnson came in we have been a bit more proactive and positive in the transfer market and I think that will continue,

We have a massive job on our hands and next season our aim has to be a top half finish

I see little reason to fight to hold on to

any of the present team given how they have failed to adjust to this league.

If we stay up we will have to try and find better in every position if we are to kick on

Sentiment should play no part - remember where misplaced sentiment got us this season

I still don't think we can afford to offload too many, we need a squad and that will take a little time.

I'm not convinced we will get more than2 of the loanee's . With El Abd, Little , Agard and Osbourne out we will need 7 or 8 to flesh out the squad. Can't see us doing that in one window.  Maybe 4 in and a couple of long term loans, build steadily for a solid mid table finish.

49 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

We've been showing Adam el Abd the door for nearly two years now, but he doesn't seem to be getting the message. I wonder why that is?

He's blind? Has no legs? Mentally a vegetable? I'm not even sure he really exists any more and isn't just a creative tax-dodge by Steve Lansdown.

24 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If we stay up we will have to try and find better in every position if we are to kick on

Sentiment should play no part - remember where misplaced sentiment got us this season

Great idea mate, Flint, Smith, Pack, Bryan and Kodjia all up for sale. 

45 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

completely disagree,

Pack, Flint, Bryan, Smith, Kodja, even reid have all stood up, we aren't bottom and aren't far off mid-table, we do need to make 7 signings to make the squad competeitive but the team isn't out of its depth and hasn't look out of place in most of the games we've played,

If we were in bolton's postion then i'd agree

2 hours ago, Super said:

It makes sense in a way, you can have a squad brought in in one transfer window, but if you're bringing in 10 players at a time it's unsettling, or even if you bring in players and the squad looks fine pre season and for the first month, you soon see a weakness that hadn't been clear before, need to wait for the next window. 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

The point is that many of our players had never played in the Championship and now they have .

So the players who can cut it will now have a season's experience at this level and the theory is that with this next year they will be more assured and put in better performances so be more valuable.

We should n't lose sight of the fact that our results have been better after Steve Cotterill.

For me there are only two players I'd definitely offload:

- El-Abd but it won't be easy to shift him

- Osbourne hasn't played for two seasons for us (bar a few minutes)

I would keep everyone else....until you know what you've got in.  That might be stating the obvious, but despite your views on the remaining players, it has been shown in recent weeks the importance of having a squad / depth - just to give players a break.

I'd take the year extension options on Reid and Burns.  That contract extension is not gonna cost us much in the grand scheme and both have much to offer, in their different ways.  Both also gave value to us in terms of development compensation should other clubs come knocking.  Burns is doing well at Fleetwood.  O'Leary has got lots going for him, so keep him and let him gain experience on loan (unlike Richards).

A few comments on others mentioned by other posters:

Wagstaff - is he out of contract this summer?  Think they'll be a good few clubs sniffing around a model pro.  I'd try and keep him, but expect he'd go for any club willing to offer minutes (and decent wage).  Shame, still young, and has something to offer.

Williams - versatile across the left side of defence.  If Bryan is flying on LW, would you want to play him LB if SG injured, out of form?  I actually think Derrick will have a good career at this level.  He can defend, he is young, and Centre Backs get better with experience.  One to keep...and coach....and strengthen (which I know he is doing).

Ayling - can't believe he's under discussion.  Prior to his injury he's been one of our best players this season, who's adapted well to The Championship.  Versatile too.

Little - causes a bit of mixed views here.  For me, he's what I call effective, and useful squad member.  Definite one to keep if Matthews doesn't come here.

Agard - our only poacher, and future depends on who we bring in (I'm assuming we will!) and emergence of Burns.  Has value should we decide to cash in.

Freeman - just coach him...other clubs would take him in a flash!  I know the game is more than set pieces, but look at the benefits to Flint!

I would bring back Baker, Odemwingie, Tomlin and Matthews if purse strings allow.  I've not seen enough of Pearce, but could he be the value replacement for Baker and then give him the summer to forge a partnership with Flint.  Baker is not great odds to come back imho.

Who haven't I mentioned:

O'Donnell, Fielding

Flint, Golbourne

Smith, Pack, Bryan

Kodjia, Wilbraham

5 hours ago, RedM said:

I was coming home in the car last night and missed the exact words but didn't Lee say something about changes/being able to change and players being given a chance and if they can't then we simply change the personnel?

Lee needs more coaching from Mark Ashton.  The phrase is "you change the people or you change the people".

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

I hope that is what we have been doing all season but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

I think LJ has already gone on record saying that he's working with LF to improve his final ball / shot, by taking that tenseness out of it at the key point.

I think he will come good.

Sometimes it can take a long time for a player to adjust.  I don't doubt his ability.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We should n't lose sight of the fact that our results have been better after Steve Cotterill.

That's the stuff, Major. You could get a slot on radio talkSPORT with provocative, unsubstantiated rumours like that little red rag to a few bulls on here. Keep them coming!

7 hours ago, richwwtk said:

What like play school?

10 hours ago, Doozerchris said:

He frustrates me more than any other player , he's had almost a full season and if I'm honest I don't see a improvement in his performances.  But like you say give LJ a chance with him I suppose as he certainly has the ability. Contact wise how long is Freeman tied down for ?

Would keep Freeman,has quality but needs more time..Reid??..get rid,no thankyou.and Ayling-bambi on ice,out of ees depth..Agard,has to go.and little.would keep Waggy,OK for squad...get rid Frankie flapper..pity Wilbs has to stay also.

Just now, Robert the bruce said:

Would keep Freeman,has quality but needs more time..Reid??..get rid,no thankyou.and Ayling-bambi on ice,out of ees depth..Agard,has to go.and little.would keep Waggy,OK for squad...get rid Frankie flapper..pity Wilbs has to stay also.

I look at Joe Bryan and see a young player who struggled at the beginning of the season but has got to grips with the Championship,  Freeman hasn't so personally I would sale him .Ayling I would keep but it's all about opinions :thumbsup:

If I'm being sensible and not sentimental, thinking with my head and not my heart, I would like a clear out of all the fringe players. If they haven't been really pushing for a place this season then I can't see the point of hanging onto them, let them go and play football at another club.

I think many people aren't giving Lee & Mark A the benefit of the doubt here, I really think our recruitment will step up a notch or two. So don't stick with what we have as it's safe, because with these players we have been far from safe this season. We have seen what the introduction of a bit of quality has done in the last few weeks, let's think we can have that quality all through the team (possibly using some loans) all season. Some old, some new, some youth, some quality. I really do believe Lee will find our players for next season.

49 minutes ago, RedM said:

If I'm being sensible and not sentimental, thinking with my head and not my heart, I would like a clear out of all the fringe players. If they haven't been really pushing for a place this season then I can't see the point of hanging onto them, let them go and play football at another club.

I think many people aren't giving Lee & Mark A the benefit of the doubt here, I really think our recruitment will step up a notch or two. So don't stick with what we have as it's safe, because with these players we have been far from safe this season. We have seen what the introduction of a bit of quality has done in the last few weeks, let's think we can have that quality all through the team (possibly using some loans) all season. Some old, some new, some youth, some quality. I really do believe Lee will find our players for next season.

I guess the question with the fringe players is whether to let them go before the replacements are brought in, or wait until we've signed our first crop of new talent.

After the players on loan leave, without counting exactly, we'll probably have a group of 18 or 19 players.  So we could quite easily bring an additional 5 or 6 players in on permanent deals without the immediate pressure of having to sell.

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I guess the question with the fringe players is whether to let them go before the replacements are brought in, or wait until we've signed our first crop of new talent.

After the players on loan leave, without counting exactly, we'll probably have a group of 18 or 19 players.  So we could quite easily bring an additional 5 or 6 players in on permanent deals without the immediate pressure of having to sell.

I think the club already have quite a good idea who they want to let go and which players want away. Every club is in this situation of course. Players will have instructed their Agents, the same Agents who have been sending players expensive gifts over Christmas and wining and dining them at Cheltenham, and they will be thrashing out deals to suit everybody involved.

I know for a fact a couple of years ago we had a player who started negotiations 2 months into his last year of his contract. These negotions went on from September right until he eventually left, yup pretty much all season. Talks of various demands and offers, clubs coming in offering loan deals. One manager who I shan't name, let's call him 'Colin' was a right pain, wouldn't take no for an answer. As professional as this player was it must have affected his time here whilst this was going on.

Since knowing how this player was emotionally torn virtually all season I guess I look at player negotions differently now. I naively thought much happens after the last ball had been kicked in May, or at the earliest when clubs knew where they would be playing the following season. I really didn't expect a player to be considering moves away for 9 months of the season he was playing in.

We mustn't let anybody go until replacements found. Our problem maybe hanging on to the players we already have. Obviously we'd like to keep Tomlin, Matthews and Baker but they could all be off. Also I can't see Flint staying if Chelsea are now interested, we could get offered big money for him. With no emergency loans next season many of the fringe players who can't get a game now will be required next year, we'll need to sign quite a few new ones as well.

Archived