IGNORED

Is this our most important transfer window?

reddogkev

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

We mustn't let anybody go until replacements found. Our problem maybe hanging on to the players we already have. Obviously we'd like to keep Tomlin, Matthews and Baker but they could all be off. Also I can't see Flint staying if Chelsea are now interested, we could get offered big money for him. With no emergency loans next season many of the fringe players who can't get a game now will be required next year, we'll need to sign quite a few new ones as well.

I think the only loanee we have a chance to keep is Mathews and I'm not convinced we will keep him if I'm honest . Hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

We mustn't let anybody go until replacements found. Our problem maybe hanging on to the players we already have. Obviously we'd like to keep Tomlin, Matthews and Baker but they could all be off. Also I can't see Flint staying if Chelsea are now interested, we could get offered big money for him. With no emergency loans next season many of the fringe players who can't get a game now will be required next year, we'll need to sign quite a few new ones as well.

I thought the deal for Matthews was done?

Chelsea interested in Flint?  Seems a tad unlikely.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For me there are only two players I'd definitely offload:

- El-Abd but it won't be easy to shift him

- Osbourne hasn't played for two seasons for us (bar a few minutes)

I would keep everyone else....until you know what you've got in.  That might be stating the obvious, but despite your views on the remaining players, it has been shown in recent weeks the importance of having a squad / depth - just to give players a break.

I'd take the year extension options on Reid and Burns.  That contract extension is not gonna cost us much in the grand scheme and both have much to offer, in their different ways.  Both also gave value to us in terms of development compensation should other clubs come knocking.  Burns is doing well at Fleetwood.  O'Leary has got lots going for him, so keep him and let him gain experience on loan (unlike Richards).

A few comments on others mentioned by other posters:

Wagstaff - is he out of contract this summer?  Think they'll be a good few clubs sniffing around a model pro.  I'd try and keep him, but expect he'd go for any club willing to offer minutes (and decent wage).  Shame, still young, and has something to offer.

Williams - versatile across the left side of defence.  If Bryan is flying on LW, would you want to play him LB if SG injured, out of form?  I actually think Derrick will have a good career at this level.  He can defend, he is young, and Centre Backs get better with experience.  One to keep...and coach....and strengthen (which I know he is doing).

Ayling - can't believe he's under discussion.  Prior to his injury he's been one of our best players this season, who's adapted well to The Championship.  Versatile too.

Little - causes a bit of mixed views here.  For me, he's what I call effective, and useful squad member.  Definite one to keep if Matthews doesn't come here.

Agard - our only poacher, and future depends on who we bring in (I'm assuming we will!) and emergence of Burns.  Has value should we decide to cash in.

Freeman - just coach him...other clubs would take him in a flash!  I know the game is more than set pieces, but look at the benefits to Flint!

I would bring back Baker, Odemwingie, Tomlin and Matthews if purse strings allow.  I've not seen enough of Pearce, but could he be the value replacement for Baker and then give him the summer to forge a partnership with Flint.  Baker is not great odds to come back imho.

Who haven't I mentioned:

O'Donnell, Fielding

Flint, Golbourne

Smith, Pack, Bryan

Kodjia, Wilbraham

Osborne is out of contract this summer, on loan in League Two and has no chance of another deal with us, strange how your career can go, that ridiculous challenge in Botswana ended his chance of starting the promotion season in our side and probably also his City career.

The only other two senior pros that are out of contract this summer are Waggy and Williams, my hunch is for a variety of reasons that both might well go. The latter has gone from an automatic choice to an occasional unused sub and although I can see many reasons to keep him, (age, left footed, decent experience) my guess is that we probably will not.

Waggy on the other hand is liked by many (including me) but has started 3 league games in two seasons and will find a queue of League One clubs very keen to sign such a patently decent sort.

I understand both Burns and Reid are also out of contract, I do expect both to be offered new deals, for Wes the reasons are blindingly obvious, Bobby will get the benefit of the doubt because it looks good to have Academy graduates and because he is a relatively low cost squad member with high technical ability.

Beyond the loans where I would expect us to look to keep Matthews, Tomlin if we can, then Odemwingie if not, Baker seems to have already been ruled out by SL and Pearce has not made any case to stay.

Of those who are under contract El-Abd is the obvious one to go, next year is the last of his contract, he is doing well at Gillingham and the numbers will now start to stack up to settle his deal and allow him to find a League One club in the South.

My guess would be that Little and Agard are the other 2 we may consider parting with, if Matthews signs and Ayling remains as cover then Little is very much a back up to a back up.

Agard just does not seem to be an LJ player, I also don't think he did himself any favours with that penalty nonsense against Brighton, either.

All of that would see us needing six new players, Matthews, 2 centre backs, a midfielder, Tomlin/Odemwingie and a striker to complement/ challenge Kodjia.

As for who the other 4 might be I'll leave that for another day..

@GrahamC we aren't a million miles apart in our thoughts are we?

I think LJ (and MA) will do incredibly well to get what they want in the summer window, will probably need winter window too.  Let's not forget that clubs may keep hold of fringe players because of the removal of the Emergency Loan.  Might have to use LJ's contacts at Prem clubs to bring in the quality we need.

Archived