IGNORED

The Whole World and Their Dogs after Flinty.

CITYAREREDANDWHITE

30 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Flint and Caulker as the CB partnership for World Cup 2018 anyone?

:whistle:

Could have 3/4 of the English back line as ex-City, Rose, Flint, Caulker, with Heaton as the keeper... Oh, of course Korey Smith just in front of them, with Joe Bryan on the left.

What a thought...

Can we just stay up first?

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Aden going to Chelsea, or Everton for that matter, is about as likely as me winning a Gold Medal in Rio!! 

All utter nonsense.

Does seem so. But then, Jamie Vardy......heck, Wes Morgan!!

58 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

And a lot better. We've got the 5th worst/leakiest defence in the championship!

Valid point, but they would both be on a lot of peoples POTY lists, I suspect
But for a team that came up last season and only spent money on a striker in the summer I don't think they've done badly at all

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Flint and Caulker as the CB partnership for World Cup 2018 anyone?

:whistle:

Could have 3/4 of the English back line as ex-City, Rose, Flint, Caulker, with Heaton as the keeper... Oh, of course Korey Smith just in front of them, with Joe Bryan on the left.

What a thought...

Wasn't Joe called up by Scotland U-21 at some point?

As much as I love Flint, I'm amazed teams like Chelsea are in for him. He's a proper old fashioned centre back and a dominant force in the air and defensively, however I can't see him adding to a game of good passing football in the prem... The goal we conceded on saturday won't help if anyone was watching either. You can't get beaten by a straight through ball down the middle of defence! 

It sounds like I'm putting the man down. I'm not. I truly think he's class and in the championship one of the better defenders you'll find but I'm dubious about his style of play suiting the premier league especially with that additional pace that the premier league brings with it.

5 hours ago, HLR said:

If he went for that amount then surely if a prem club come calling we should be asking for more than that! Mings went for what, 8 Million last year when he moved from Ipswich? Got to mark up massively if these big clubs coming calling

I said a year ago nothing less than 10 million; we don't need to sell, we want him to stay so we can ask whatever we like. 

Assuming there is at least a hint of substance to any of this, how much of it can be attributed to Vardyitus?

Former non-league player who rose up the leagues, taking his time, but with steady and consistent performances has become possibly the player of the year in the Premiership.

Has this opened the eyes and minds of those who normally default to looking abroad for talent?

Looking at the evidence (from an outsiders POV) Flinty has risen from lower leagues, a monster CB, with an exceptional disciplinary and performance record, a good age, very professional and with goals to boot.

More importantly, he's proven more than once that he can make the step up.

I certainly wouldn't rule out a lower Premiership side coming in for him, and I could definitely see Villa pinch him for a ready-made centre back pairing with Baker. 

If he did go he'd be difficult to replace. I'd want minimum £3m by today's rates.

As for the other rumours, if the likes of Chelsea or Arsenal are interested I will happily buy each of you a hat, and promptly eat it.

8 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

Not the first time I've heard the Chelsea link to Flint and that was from a very close person to their club.

Of all the clubs listed above if Chelsea came calling he should go in a heartbeat, the others are basket cases in comparison.

Would love him to stay but the inevitable will come and I certainly wish him the best.

So how are Everton and West Brom basket cases?! Very well run, solid football clubs...

8 hours ago, Super said:

Agree. Woeful performance.

Was he to blame?

Was he out of position?

Was it a simple ball over his shoulder?

Did he play a long ball over the top?

Did he do his usual arms around the defender in the box at a corner and pull his own shirt?

Don't get me wrong. He puts a lot in and is a good player for us. But Premiership quality? 

Never in a million years.

Ready for the flak....

30 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Was he to blame?

Was he out of position?

Did he do his usual arms around the defender in the box at a corner and pull his own shirt?

Don't get me wrong. He puts a lot in and is a good player for us. But Premiership quality? 

Ready for the flak....

The thing is we won't know if he doesn't get the chance.  Sometimes playing with better players brings out the best in a player.  There are countless examples of players not deemed good enough at various levels who've proved us all wrong.

Even at West Brom....are Macauley and Dawson that much better?

£20m for a European defender doesn't guarantee immediate returns....although in the case of Sahko and Lovren, they are better together than either alongside Skrtyl - who is a bombscare!

4 hours ago, CIDER NOT CIDRE said:

As much as I love Flint, I'm amazed teams like Chelsea are in for him. He's a proper old fashioned centre back and a dominant force in the air and defensively, however I can't see him adding to a game of good passing football in the prem... The goal we conceded on saturday won't help if anyone was watching either. You can't get beaten by a straight through ball down the middle of defence! 

It sounds like I'm putting the man down. I'm not. I truly think he's class and in the championship one of the better defenders you'll find but I'm dubious about his style of play suiting the premier league especially with that additional pace that the premier league brings with it.

Don't be too "amazed" fella, Chelsea are not in for him.

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Was he to blame?

Was he out of position?

Ready for the flak....

That's fine. We can all give our views but the only opinions that really matter are the judgements of the various scouts and managers we're told are evaluating Flint's suitability for the PL right now.

If one of them makes your jaw drop by deciding he fits the bill for his club, and makes City an eye popping offer to back up his opinion, then Flint will be in a PL squad next season.

Then Flint will train with much better players, be coached by superior coaches, and no doubt line up alongside an international defensive partner whose own qualities Flint has been chosen to complement, and we'll all be able to see if his judgement was correct. 

Can Flint play in the PL? I honestly don't know, neither do you I suspect, but a more practised eye will decide.

I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

5 hours ago, Ian M said:

Remember when Liam Rosenior wasn't good enough to play in the Prem?

Remember when Bradley Orr wasn't good enough to play in the Prem?

Shhhhhh! Don't tell the scouts that! 

For any scouts reading, Flint is rubbish I can assure you! 

I think it's funny many writing off for premier league already. Maybe because it's easy to do and maybe the less risky of an opinion. Though just look at some of the central defenders in the premier league. Jonas Olsson, Wes Morgan, Jose Fonte, Ashley Williams and Steve Cook. Olsson has made a living in the premier league and I could see Flint replacing him. Morgan, Fonte, Williams and Cook have all made the step up in some way. You just never know. Players respond differently to different situations. He plays well next to Baker. Who's to say he wouldn't play even better next to Funes Mori? Sounds strange but we never know. 

Archived