IGNORED

The Whole World and Their Dogs after Flinty.

CITYAREREDANDWHITE

Flint has had a decent season (although much of that has been down to his partnership with Baker. He looks exposed without him) but he's nowhere near good enough for a Premiership side. Sorry, love the guy to bits, but I'd wager it's his goals that have attracted attention more than his actual defending. And scouts see a 6ft+ meathead and get all excited. If he goes (and I don't think he will), it'll more likely be to a top Championship side. 

12 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

They probably wouldn't even see it as much of a gamble tbh. 

Relatively speaking, much like our £50k "punt" on Garita. £2m or so would be nothing.

He won't be going anywhere for £2M or so, unless Mark Ashton doesn't know what he's doing.

We were quoted what, £4M or £5M for Harry Maguire?? If that's what his replacement will cost, we'd be mad to sell him for less.

4 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Flint has had a decent season (although much of that has been down to his partnership with Baker. He looks exposed without him) but he's nowhere near good enough for a Premiership side. Sorry, love the guy to bits, but I'd wager it's his goals that have attracted attention more than his actual defending. And scouts see a 6ft+ meathead and get all excited. If he goes (and I don't think he will), it'll more likely be to a top Championship side. 

I can assure that's the last thing Scouts get excited about...

really don't get some of the negative comment around Flint -- he has improved each of the last two seasons, for a CB not reached his prime, we all know he is a threat in the opposition box  To say he is better with Baker -- of course he is but all units within the team are only as good as the players they work with and he will sure get better players around him than he has now, yes he can get caught out but as others have said so do all defenders, he can actually be lightning quick at times with blocking in the six yard box, his distribution is as good as most centre halves and he is often at the centre of playing it out from the back. Yes he has faults at times in all those areas but his determinations, fitness, enthusiasm, commitment to the cause are second to none and I believe he can make a good player in the Prem.

What is more astonishing is his avoidance of injury and his amazingly good disciplinary record -- two additional key factors in enabling the back four to develop better understanding and key factors when looking at him as a prospective signing.

32 minutes ago, glynriley said:

He won't be going anywhere for £2M or so, unless Mark Ashton doesn't know what he's doing.

We were quoted what, £4M or £5M for Harry Maguire?? If that's what his replacement will cost, we'd be mad to sell him for less.

Yeah I know. It sounded ridiculous as I typed it.

But still, what's £5m to an established premier league club.

I know that these sources aren't exactly reliable, but the best way to ensure that we get legitimate interest and a good transfer fee for players of this calibre are to openly address them.

LJ or Ashton need to come out and say that they've received interest in Flint, how important he is to the side, and that in the clubs view he is a £10-15m player.

Is he worth £10-15m? Probably not, but it lets other Championship teams know that they need to keep their mitts off, and it tells anyone interested in the Premier League that we consider him to be the real deal, and that they need to pony up if they want him.

He's one of our most important players and a captain in all but title. I would be demanding extortionate amounts of money for him. I think we would struggle to replace him in all honesty.

Off to the Prem? I can believe that, Chelsea? Hmmmm.

'their dogs ' is he the new terry butcher. Hold on he must be in the big boned city line up.

as an aside why aren't you allowed to take your dog to the gate or any other football match for that matter. I think they make really good scouts.

my horse picked my five a side football team a few years back . We won the championship at a canter three years on the trot!

16 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

There's a typical City fans 'ambition' for you.

Nothing to do with the ambition of the club or the fans.

Quite simply a realistic, pragmatic approach to the way football works. 

Do you propose denying a player a move and then trying to motivate them for the next 3 years?

51 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

There's a typical City fans 'ambition' for you.

It would certainly be a career opportunity for Flint, but more importantly it would show the club were serious about it's stated policy of not getting too attached to individual players and selling for a big profit if and when an outstanding offer comes in. No point saying it if you don't mean it, and some players will have signed for City with the promise that if they are very successful for us here and attract such offers from higher clubs the club will not stand in their way

In Flint's case it would have to be a truly outstanding offer, and if a PL club makes such a bid no doubt City will eventually accept, and if so good luck to him.

The club's ambition will be shown by how we reinvest such windfalls to replace players like Flint, if he goes, and sign others in order to gradually strengthen the squad overall.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The club's ambition will be shown by how we reinvest such windfalls to replace players like Flint, if he goes, and sign others in order to gradually strengthen the squad overall.

Precisely. If we lost Flint, but it gave us the money for say, Maguire and Mawson, would that be a bad deal?

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I'm sure Villa must have watched Baker in his time here - several games where he & Flint have stood out, they could do a lot worse next season

And a lot better. We've got the 5th worst/leakiest defence in the championship!

3 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Precisely. If we lost Flint, but it gave us the money for say, Maguire and Mawson, would that be a bad deal?

I'd be very sorry to see Flint go, but that's where the 'don't get too attached to individual players' comes in.

The important thing is we replace any highly priced departures with young players with similar potential to improve and increase in value.

Mawson (22) and Maguire (23) would both seem to fit the bill on both counts.

Although I have to say my view on Mawson is largely based on the opinion of Harry and other knowledgeable posters on here who seem to think he has a great future.

Presumably LJ knows him very well.

I suspect the machiavellian hand of arch wheeler-dealer and snake oil salesman Mark Antony, sorry, Ashton, at work here. Just waiting now for rumours of B. Dortmund scouts stopping by AG on Sat on their way home from Liverpool, and interest from other blue chip European giants. What an exciting summer we have ahead of us...

Archived