IGNORED

City Vs Rotherham - Worst fake(non) injury? (MERGED)

Antman

28 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

All players and managers have a responsibility to not fake injury and play act, because this behaviour (which is much more prominent in top flight football) creates apathy when players go down injured, which could potentially lead to serious and life threatening injuries being overlooked because play acting is suspected. Unfortunately it will only take a top player getting seriously injured but not getting treatment to change attitudes.  The whole Jose doctor thing at Chelsea was a disgrace because even the Chelsea doctor was being asked to comply with play acting to waste time.  All players and managers need to self police this and stamp it out

If Baker had stamped on him then I would have been more sympathetic.

Rotherham's Greg Halford gets a knock on the back by Nathan Baker , he stays down on the ground for at least 10 minutes while the paramedics investigate the damage, he then struggles to the touchline where his he quickly recovers and runs back on to continue the game !!!

I didn't notice the incident when watching the match live, so I assumed it was a major collision / one of Baker's moments of madness. This excellent video clearly shows how minor the collision was. It was worth, perhaps, 5 seconds recovery, but 5 minutes! 

25 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I think any doctor or physio "treating" fake injuries should be stripped of their license to practice. 

Good idea. After seven years at medical school a doctor should definitely have his career ended because a footballer he was trying to treat was faking it. Sounds fair.

3 minutes ago, Head in the clouds said:

@GregHalford15  - twitter account users please send him the video

Why bother, he couldn't give a toss.  Karma has a funny way of dealing with these things.  Will be taking an interest in Rotherham's last 6 matches....wouldn't be surprised if someone "does him".  Reputations go around, and no-one likes a cheat.

Looking forward to Warnock's press conference if something does happen to Halford.

The culture of diving and feigning injury in football is getting worse. I wish something could be done about it. The worst part is the way it's having an influence on kids - when my son has played football in school and for his local team I have seen boys of his age (7-8 year olds) collapsing to the floor clutching their legs at the slightest touch. So sad to see.

40 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good idea. After seven years at medical school a doctor should definitely have his career ended because a footballer he was trying to treat was faking it. Sounds fair.

Anyone colluding in the illusion of 'injury' is a fraud. What were the physios actually treating on the defender? 

If you've spent seven years at medical school you should know the difference in my opinion 

Said it at the time and still stand by it now,  Baker was a bit fortunate as he had no intention of going for the ball a deliberately went through the back of Halford.

Its one of those where had it been our player on the receiving end we would have been calling for some action to be taken.

What happened after that was a bit of a joke but I thought the way Baker had gone through him that he ideas genuinely badly injured.

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Said it at the time and still stand by it now,  Baker was a bit fortunate as he had no intention of going for the ball a deliberately went through the back of Halford.

Its one of those where had it been our player on the receiving end we would have been calling for some action to be taken.

What happened after that was a bit of a joke but I thought the way Baker had gone through him that he ideas genuinely badly injured.

If it was 1975 he wouldn't have been injured by that challenge. End of. 

55 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

After seven years at med school they should know what a real head injury is and how serious it could be, as well as the effects if not diagnosed quickly. By assisting a player in play-acting a head injury, they're effectively encouraging complacency in the game about this type of injury which has led the American NFL to a billion dollar lawsuit. If a physio is found to be actively encouraging play-acting as a type of gamesmanship, then yes, they should be stripped of their license.

Genuine question though, does a physio really study for seven years? I know doctors do, but physios?

2 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

After seven years at med school they should know what a real head injury is and how serious it could be, as well as the effects if not diagnosed quickly. By assisting a player in play-acting a head injury, they're effectively encouraging complacency in the game about this type of injury which has led the American NFL to a billion dollar lawsuit. If a physio is found to be actively encouraging play-acting as a type of gamesmanship, then yes, they should be stripped of their license.

Genuine question though, does a physio really study for seven years? I know doctors do, but physios?

Doubt it. Pretty sure it was 3 years not so long ago. 

15 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I think we're getting carried away suggesting the medical staff were all in on it.

Even if they were, it's not medical negligence, it's gamesmanship at a football match, so I'm not sure about all this "strip their licence" stuff.

39 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If it was 1975 he wouldn't have been injured by that challenge. End of. 

If it was 1975 if he wasn't genuinely injured by that challenge, he definitely would be later in the game.:whistle:

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think we're getting carried away suggesting the medical staff were all in on it.

Even if they were, it's not medical negligence, it's gamesmanship at a football match, so I'm not sure about all this "strip their licence" stuff.

It's not like medical staff haven't been complicit in cheating before. 

"Bloodgate" at Harlequins is the most recent example that comes to mind, the doctor involved very nearly ended up being struck off by the GMC and her professional reputation was ruined as a result. 

Eva Carneiro most recently remembered her ethical standards and responsibilities when pressurised and we all know where that got her. 

Football isn't immune to medical cheating (see cycling, athletics, swimming, weightlifting, boxing, etc. etc......) 

I would suspect that if the authorities dug a little deeper they would find a very grubby practice going on.

So let's assume everyone (medical staff and player) are found guilty of gamesmanship by feigning injury. The player would get, say, a three match ban, but the medical staff lose their entire careers - effectively a life ban.

And we're all OK with this? Or do we want the player banned for life too? Maybe bring back capital punishment and deal with it that way?

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

i can't quite believe what I'm reading. The bloke went down and didn't move at all for a good few minutes.

Can you imagine if they'd just hauled him to his feet after potential head injury they didn't see? Yeh... That'd be excellent practice. 

Fabrice Muamba also didn't appear to have much wrong with him. Don't know why they didn't just drag him up off the pitch too. 

Quite remarkable. Suspend doctors. Just unbelievable. 

NB this doesn't take away from the fact that Halford is a****. 

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

If it was 1975 if he wasn't genuinely injured by that challenge, he definitely would be later in the game.:whistle:

Now if it had been 1972, it would have been Dickie Rooks coming at him from behind.  Halford wouldn't have gone down in the box......... he'd have ended up in bloody Nelson Mandela House   :reaper:            :mf_sleep:

I would seriously doubt that medical staff, who were attending the "Halford" incident, had any clue that it was all a sham to waste time and break up the rhythm of the game. Although if it was a preconceived plan by Rotherham to deceive, then at least three people must have known the plan; Warnock, Halford and the Rotherham physio.

What does concern me is that if they were unaware of the "scam", it is difficult for me to understand how they came to a conclusion within ten minutes and without and medical equipment like scanners/x-ray, that the player was completely free of any problem with his neck and allowed to carry on playing without any more in depth checks.

Any neck or spinal cord injury could cause total paralysis or even death. So if it was a scam, that none of the medical staff knew of in advance, did they fail their responsibities by allowing Halford to continue taking part in the game?

There is a reference elsewhere on OTIB, that the same player did something similar in Rotherham's recent match with Reading. Anyone have any information on this?

I would think that it is the right time for the football governing bodies to follow Rugby Union's lead and insist that any player suspected of a head injury/concussion, is taken off the field for more in depth examination. That player is subbed until cleared for return, at which time the sub then leaves the pitch. Rugby also allow this short term substitution if it is a "blood" injury.

10 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Anyone colluding in the illusion of 'injury' is a fraud. What were the physios actually treating on the defender? 

If you've spent seven years at medical school you should know the difference in my opinion 

Being such an expert could you enlighten us all as to what if anything Greg Halford was saying to the physio at said time of colision, because to make a diagnosis they would go on several things, unconsciousness, vomiting, stiffness, inability to move limbs, signs of blood, failing that without doing a MRI scan they have to go on what they are told by the patient.

Is it not plausible that Greg Halford was bullshitting them too?

Wouldn't be the first time a patient has made out their condition was worse than what the naked eye could pick up on, and you'd want them sacked!

Archived