IGNORED

Bobby Reid

Phileas Fogg

39 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

1 goal yes, but through just 25 scattered appearances, makes it hard to gain some consistency. Either way, compare him to Freeman who has 1 goal in 40 appearances, and has less assists than Bobby. Also Pack and Korey have just the 1 goal between them. I know they're more defensive minded but the point still stands, they play the same position.

Granted had Bobby been afforded the amount of starts Freeman had it could be a different story with regards to his goal return. I haven't been a fan of him this season and it has been hard for him to gain that consistency but at 23 he needs to take every chance he can now. I really hope today is a big turning point for him. Either way, if two of our more attack minded midfielder's only have a goal each at this stage next season we could be in big trouble again.

6 hours ago, Nomad said:

I've always rated BR. Can seem a little lightweight but he wins a lot of free kick's going down and will put his foot in when needed. I think he might well kick on with the confidence gained today.

Fair play on today's performance but at Hull looked like bamby against the likes of Huddles tone etc

7 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Fair play on today's performance but at Hull looked like bamby against the likes of Huddles tone etc

I doubt we'd have beat Fulham without him. LJ clearly rates Bobby and Bobby has been really impressive since LJ came in. He just needs to keep doing what he's been doing as he fits LJ's desired style of play.

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think Johnson done well picking Bobby today. Saw had a very small central midfield and it played to bobby's strengths more. 

Great point.

I for one am impressed with LJ's tactical nous.

Without going over old ground, our previous manager would play 3-5-2 blame all everyone when it didn't go well. Some results did go our way. I have always believed this group of players to be good enough. 

LJ's approach is completely different. He seems to set us up with a defined plan depending on our opposition.  Differing from banging out the same formation week after week with the same poor result/performance. 

So as my quoted poster says. LJ needs to take a lot of credit.  He most certainly does.  

Give him 2 or 3 transfer windows. Allow him to bring in his players and watch him go. 

Impressed so far. Well done LJ

Stevo

5 hours ago, BCFC Jordan said:

I doubt we'd have beat Fulham without him. LJ clearly rates Bobby and Bobby has been really impressive since LJ came in. He just needs to keep doing what he's been doing as he fits LJ's desired style of play.

Been a big fan of Bobby for some time.  Having a manager that believes in you and says so publicly on every occasion will help give him more confidence and freedom to play his natural game.  I think only Tomlin can match him in terms of his ability to control the ball first time, vision to spot a pass and skill to execute at speed.  Really hope to see his develop more.  Even with Korey Smith not fully fit and Freeman still adaptingbhis game, we had quality midfield out there yesterday.  

Its not all about going and out buying the finished product.  It's having a coach that spot and develop potential both inside and outside the club to fit with how we want to play. 

1 hour ago, Red Army Faction said:

Been a big fan of Bobby for some time.  Having a manager that believes in you and says so publicly on every occasion will help give him more confidence and freedom to play his natural game.  I think only Tomlin can match him in terms of his ability to control the ball first time, vision to spot a pass and skill to execute at speed.  Really hope to see his develop more.  Even with Korey Smith not fully fit and Freeman still adaptingbhis game, we had quality midfield out there yesterday.  

Its not all about going and out buying the finished product.  It's having a coach that spot and develop potential both inside and outside the club to fit with how we want to play. 

That's a good point. As a club we have been dreadful at converting talent from promising Academy player to seasoned first team player. Which means the likes of Scott Golbourne have to go elsewhere to learn properly how to be a footballer before we buy them back when they are 28. Shocking state of affairs. Lets hope we have a Manager and Coaching Staff who can allow the likes of Bryan, Reid and Burns (and others following on behind) to successfully buck that trend.

10 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Reid clearly has ability, what has been lacking to date is consistency. You can't follow up a game like he had today with two mediocre ones if you want to play at Championship level. If he sorts that out we have a player.

Absolute.y right. Consistency is the key and BR is consistent. Consistently inconsistent.

The right choice for yesterday but not in others. For me I'm afraid he's too lightweight. I'd keep him for when his style of play is needed but he's far from being an automatic choice.

Unlike the woman who sits behind me. She loves Bobbeeeeeee :yes:

31 minutes ago, Super said:

Well least we can put the Reid v Freeman debate to bed now.

I have been up and down on my opinion of Bobby all season, usually in contrast to my opinion of Freeman.

Once again I find myself in a contrasting position - I thought Bobby was great yesterday whereas I found Freeman to be quite frustrating and gave the ball away more often than not (I know he played the perfect ball for Bobby's goal). I thought Freeman would be the one player that found it easiest to step up to this league but in reality he shows to much of the ball to opposition players at this level and gets caught out time after time.

I think there is a lot of work for Freeman to do over the summer if he is to be the driving creative first teamer we would all like him to be.

19 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I have been up and down on my opinion of Bobby all season, usually in contrast to my opinion of Freeman.

Once again I find myself in a contrasting position - I thought Bobby was great yesterday whereas I found Freeman to be quite frustrating and gave the ball away more often than not (I know he played the perfect ball for Bobby's goal). I thought Freeman would be the one player that found it easiest to step up to this league but in reality he shows to much of the ball to opposition players at this level and gets caught out time after time.

I think there is a lot of work for Freeman to do over the summer if he is to be the driving creative first teamer we would all like him to be.

I thought he would be the star of this team again this season, but he looks out of his depth. Big call for LJ to keep faith in him or get shot.

11 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Reid clearly has ability, what has been lacking to date is consistency. You can't follow up a game like he had today with two mediocre ones if you want to play at Championship level. If he sorts that out we have a player.

Youngsters always have problems with consistency and before you say he's not a youngster at 23 you must remember that Reid has had his progress stumped by previous managers who preferred to bring in experience rather than trust the youngsters.

Reid , Bryan and Burns should be admired for the fact that they've survived our old Academy system and despite that have become / are becoming good footballers .

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

He will normally do well against the `right` sort of opposition like yesterday - a team that wanted to play football no matter what. He would almost certainly have been bullied out of the game v Colin`s gang of cheats on Tuesday though. That`s why it`s a squad game I suppose.

I think , had he played against Rotherham , that he would have ' won ' lots of free kicks and even seen the opposition given more cards.

He is slight but tough as old boots.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Youngsters always have problems with consistency and before you say he's not a youngster at 23 you must remember that Reid has had his progress stumped by previous managers who preferred to bring in experience rather than trust the youngsters.

Reid , Bryan and Burns should be admired for the fact that they've survived our old Academy system and despite that have become / are becoming good footballers .

Accept what you are saying except that now the kid is 23 he has to move on and start putting runs of 7-8 games out of 10 together if he wants a prolonged career at this level. Otherwise he will get released/sold and end up playing in the lower leagues. We all know what he's got in his locker but it's time to come of age now and show us performances like yesterday on a regular basis, lets hope he does. Like I said there is a player in there but that has been said about many footballers who ended up wasting exceptional talent and ended up playing for pin money in comparison to what you can earn in the top leagues.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I think , had he played against Rotherham , that he would have ' won ' lots of free kicks and even seen the opposition given more cards.

He is slight but tough as old boots.

Sorry Major old chap……but have to disagree. In a physical challenge he has no upper body strength, and so is easily shrugged off by muscular defenders………..so it's lucky he's quick.  Get on the weights in the gym Bobby, and you'll be some player.

I confess I'm not quite seeing why people are raving about Reid.  I wouldn't even put him in the top 4 midfielders. From yesterday!! I was amazed that he was voted MotM as I thought there were 6 players better than him yesterday.  That's not a criticism. It's a reflection of how well our team played.

Reid did well with his goal and won a good penalty.  But there was another midfielder who scored 2 and won a penalty.

Korey should basically be given the freedom of Bristol.  I can't recall the last time he had a bad game.  And Pack is pushing for Man of the Season with great, consistent performances including yesterday.

Reid played well at times against the footballing Wednesday but he isn't a Championship player over a whole season.  Sorry to rain on people's parade.

PS And the best player on the pitch was their No 41 - Bannan??  A great "little" player.

12 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

That's a good point. As a club we have been dreadful at converting talent from promising Academy player to seasoned first team player. Which means the likes of Scott Golbourne have to go elsewhere to learn properly how to be a footballer before we buy them back when they are 28. Shocking state of affairs. Lets hope we have a Manager and Coaching Staff who can allow the likes of Bryan, Reid and Burns (and others following on behind) to successfully buck that trend.

I have always wondered what a decent coach makes.  And whether head hunting coaches is a better strategy than headhunting players.  Coaches at the like of Southampton must earn the club then fold what they are paid in wages.

6 hours ago, Chivs said:

I confess I'm not quite seeing why people are raving about Reid.  I wouldn't even put him in the top 4 midfielders. From yesterday!! I was amazed that he was voted MotM as I thought there were 6 players better than him yesterday.  That's not a criticism. It's a reflection of how well our team played.

Reid did well with his goal and won a good penalty.  But there was another midfielder who scored 2 and won a penalty.

Korey should basically be given the freedom of Bristol.  I can't recall the last time he had a bad game.  And Pack is pushing for Man of the Season with great, consistent performances including yesterday.

Reid played well at times against the footballing Wednesday but he isn't a Championship player over a whole season.  Sorry to rain on people's parade.

PS And the best player on the pitch was their No 41 - Bannan??  A great "little" player.

Huh? He had a better eye for an insisive pass than Smith, Pack or Freeman

No one disputing Smith or Pack have been great, just bigging up Reid too.  The kid needs encouraging and nurturing.   Regardless of his age he in young in terms of game time and has undoubted talent.  He has a responsibility for his own development and consistency too of course. 

I doubt that Bobby will ever be the first name on the teamsheet type of player.

HOWEVER; a top top squad player, who adds skill and dynamic to a midfield. We need players like him as part of our squad. LJ is clearly the type of coach who will rotate and use his squad, whereas Cotts had a first 11, and no subs. 

BR will only get better from here on in.

8 hours ago, Chivs said:

I wasn't amazed he was voted MOTM because the same thing has happened several times when he clearly hasn't been.

If Bobby Reid has even a reasonable game he will invariably be 'voted' MOTM - and be interviewed excitedly afterwards by RB - regardless of other better performances.

As you say, there were numerous better performing CIty players yesterday.

I don't know how MOTM is chosen - is it still fans texting their vote, or is it the choice of the match sponsors? - but, either way, it seems BR has a determined fan club that non Bristolians like Matthews, Flint, Tomlin etc. don't have, because all were more deserving yesterday.

Whisper it, but I've no doubt it's mostly due to the fact he's a local lad who fans (naturally) want to do well, and still view as 'young Bobby'. I really do believe half our fans, if asked, would insist he is still aged 19 or 20. Due to this popularity his good games are elevated to be viewed as great, and his poorer games and weaknesses excused or overlooked.

There were rumours such over the top acclaim went to his head a bit earlier in his career; so let's praise him when he does well by all means, but let's not get silly and vote him MOTM every time he doesn't have a weak game when he doesn't actually warrant it.

For one thing such obvious favouritism may eventually start to piss off other more deserving City players, although I suspect his MOTM awards are a standing joke and as much a cause for merriment in the dressing room as they are to many the stands.

There were a couple of champagne moments from BR yesterday and, freed from all defensive responsibility, a reasonable all round 70 mins, but MOTM? No way.

8 hours ago, Chivs said:

11 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Bobby needs games, and has improved no end this season. His goal yesterday was excellent, first time shot too. Freeman would have hit the corner flag if in the same position (How can Freeman cross so well but be so bad in front of goal) Bobby has clearly got technical ability, and I am sure will be offered a new contract (we need players - also so will Wes) Bobby still needs to raise the bar a few notches on consistency. Maybe with better coaching and a clear definition of what his role is he can do it. He will also need to cope better with the physical aspects of this level of football. He would do well this summer keeping his holiday short an focus on coming back a little fitter and a little stronger. 

Yep, super first time shot from Bobby, but it was very much the exception to the rule as his shooting generally over the last 5 years has been abysmal.

What has indeed been a wretched season for LF in that respect has actually been the norm for BR since he made his debut. 

He's averaged 1 goal in every 22 games for City and could be more or less guaranteed to lean back and hit row Z when the chance came to shoot until that splendid goal yesterday.

Compare Reid and Freeman all you like, but if you think BR is more likely to score, it's simply not the case.

Archived