IGNORED

Bobby Reid

Phileas Fogg

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I wasn't amazed he was voted MOTM because the same thing has happened several times when he clearly hasn't been.

If Bobby Reid has even a reasonable game he will invariably be 'voted' MOTM - and be interviewed excitedly afterwards by RB - regardless of other better performances.

As you say, there were numerous better performing CIty players yesterday.

I don't know how MOTM is chosen - is it still fans texting their vote, or is it the choice of the match sponsors? - but, either way, it seems BR has a determined fan club that non Bristolians like Matthews, Flint, Tomlin etc. don't have, because all were more deserving yesterday.

Whisper it, but I've no doubt it's mostly due to the fact he's a local lad who fans (naturally) want to do well, and still view as 'young Bobby'. I really do believe half our fans, if asked, would insist he is still aged 19 or 20. Due to this popularity his good games are elevated to be viewed as great, and his poorer games and weaknesses excused or overlooked.

There were rumours such over the top acclaim went to his head a bit earlier in his career; so let's praise him when he does well by all means, but let's not get silly and vote him MOTM every time he doesn't have a weak game when he doesn't actually warrant it.

For one thing such obvious favouritism may eventually start to piss off other more deserving City players, although I suspect his MOTM awards are a standing joke and as much a cause for merriment in the dressing room as they are to many the stands.

There were a couple of champagne moments from BR yesterday and, freed from all defensive responsibility, a reasonable all round 70 mins, but MOTM? No way.

Be fair , he had an influence on at least half our goals yesterday and deserved recognition for one of his most effective games in a City shirt .

However they all played well and MOM is a stupid thing to dish out systematically, it should be reserved for players who influence the match above and beyond their team-mates.

Lee Tomlin would have been a candidate for Man of the half .

I thought he was excellent on Saturday, chuffed to bits he got a goal too

Only complaint, he could have played Tomlin in towards the end of the first half, Tomlin would have been clear, but chose to shoot. I guess he really fancied his chances after the way he was playing, but Tomlin told him, in no uncertain terms!, that it was the wrong decision - he put his hand up and got on with it

Great to see him and Joe out there playing their part - defo got to be worth a new contract, hopefully the same for Wes coming back from a very successful loan at Fleetwood too. Love seeing the lads coming through

I can't remember hearing who won MoTM on Saturday, who got the nod?

I thought on Saturday he was superb and really played some balls with true quality, to pick one would be the left foot through ball to freeman to play him through. However I think he might be one of those players who struggles with playing lots of games consecutively E.g. Saturday and then Tuesday, perhaps doesn't recover as quickly as others. But then he does run himself into the ground hassling and pressing.

Really liked the look of Bannan. Think hes only on loan there from the Villa. 

Perhaps if they dont go up we could try and steal him. 

As for Reid, not a favourite of mine at all. Having said that he was decent Saturday, for a change. 

Perhaps he can find some consistency now and push on. 

7 hours ago, nickolas said:

As for Reid, not a favourite of mine at all. Having said that he was decent Saturday, for a change. 

Bannan signed for them in the summer and just signed a new 3 and a half year deal in January.

14 hours ago, nickolas said:

He was the one who stood out for me too, was always available. Didn't do anything flashy, decent player

On 10/04/2016 at 11:38, billywedlock said:

Bobby needs games, and has improved no end this season. His goal yesterday was excellent, first time shot too. Freeman would have hit the corner flag if in the same position (How can Freeman cross so well but be so bad in front of goal) Bobby has clearly got technical ability, and I am sure will be offered a new contract (we need players - also so will Wes) Bobby still needs to raise the bar a few notches on consistency. Maybe with better coaching and a clear definition of what his role is he can do it. He will also need to cope better with the physical aspects of this level of football. He would do well this summer keeping his holiday short an focus on coming back a little fitter and a little stronger. 

Significant that last Saturday, the smallest player on the pitch was Wednesday's Barry Bannon who was the heart of their team - involved in almost every move.

Physical size is desirable but not essential so Bobby will never be a bulldozing midfield destroyer but has a good eye and football brain to have a good, long league career. Preferably at City. 

Archived