IGNORED

Bobby Reid

Phileas Fogg

Surprised no thread on him already.. Best I've seen him play for us. Creative, imaginative and calm on the ball. Deserved MOTM and did a great job with Pack and Smith. A mature performance from him.

I've not always been a fan but he was brilliant today. Hope he kicks on and gets in the first team regularly like Bryan (and hopefully Burns).

Posters on here like @Shtanley have rated him for ages and I'm beginning to think they might have been right..

Well done Bobby

He's very, very strong going forward. My only critique would be there were several times when he was in and around our box defensively and he played the ball inside. Whilst one was the springboard to an attack, if I was scouting for opposition I'd be saying lacks composure at the back and can put his side under real pressure. A more pressing midfield I think could, indeed should, have punished us. 

It's the only thing he does which gives me strong reservations. The other side of his game is really strong and his finish for the goal was marvellous, as was the running which won the penalty.

Personally I'd like to see him coached to have a no-nonsense attitude in defence. If he can get that part of his game sorted then I would have him one of the first names on the team sheet. If he can't then I fear he can, at times, be a risk too far. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

If he can play like that consistently I will be a big fan.

Consistently is the key word. So far he hasn't demonstrated this, and time must be running out if he wants to establish himself in the Championship. The other aspect of his game that needs development is as mentioned by 29AR.  Next season must be the last chance he has at City, and I hope he takes it 

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Surprised no thread on him already.. Best I've seen him play for us. Creative, imaginative and calm on the ball. Deserved MOTM and did a great job with Pack and Smith. A mature performance from him.

I've not always been a fan but he was brilliant today. Hope he kicks on and gets in the first team regularly like Bryan (and hopefully Burns).

Posters on here like @Shtanley have rated him for ages and I'm beginning to think they might have been right..

Well done Bobby

Thanks for the name check <3 As we get better players in he'll find more space on the ball and be able to play like he did today. For someone who's very small he does throw himself about and does some great hassling play. 

Easily his best display so far & it's safe to say it's been a long time coming. I haven't been a fan of him but really really hope he kicks on now. I feel it's harsh to be critical of him because of his strength or his lack of physical presence. His game shouldn't be judged on that. For me it should be on his decision making, what he contributes during a game & how he effects it as well as his goals/assists return. He's 23 now, so I genuinely hope today is a turning point for him.

Only been (re)watching City since 13/14, and that season he played in a struggling side until Cotts came in.  Last season he was out on loan and this season he's played more than most imagined.

He's done alright....enough to get a contract extension imho.

Perhaps the little bit of extra quality of Odemwingie, Matthews and Tomlin have made it easier for him to slot in?

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

He's very, very strong going forward. My only critique would be there were several times when he was in and around our box defensively and he played the ball inside. Whilst one was the springboard to an attack, if I was scouting for opposition I'd be saying lacks composure at the back and can put his side under real pressure. A more pressing midfield I think could, indeed should, have punished us. 

It's the only thing he does which gives me strong reservations. The other side of his game is really strong and his finish for the goal was marvellous, as was the running which won the penalty.

Personally I'd like to see him coached to have a no-nonsense attitude in defence. If he can get that part of his game sorted then I would have him one of the first names on the team sheet. If he can't then I fear he can, at times, be a risk too far. 

One or two more could also join in those lessons - we did become a little bit sloppy  on a few occasions by trying to play our way out of defence. It's what we all want to see but sometimes when defending, the ball should just be hoofed away to give time to re-group.

As for Bobbie Reid, he is beginning to demonstrate on the pitch what many of us have felt for a long time; that he is a very good footballer and I for one hopes he has a long and successful career at City. 

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

He was brilliant today. Why people are just noticing it now is beyond me. "Easily his best display". Not for me, he was equally as good at Forest, at home to Bolton and at Fulham in recent weeks.

Yes....easily his best display. Was good at Forest but not as good as he was today. Also people are probably only noticing now because he is contributing more. One goal all season isn't exactly championship quality is it? He needs to kick on from this now & I hope he does.

I think Johnson done well picking Bobby today. Saw had a very small central midfield and it played to bobby's strengths more. He wasn't getting knocked off the ball because they didn't have the players that do that. Someone mentioned West Brom when he was playing with centre half sized midfielders like Meyler, Huddlestone and Anichibe. LJ has really done well making adjustments and matching up

Been a big fan since first seeing him at MK Dons about 2 1/2 years ago. 

As well as being a bit inconsistent he's still to put in a consistent 90 minutes, often goes missing in last 20 minutes or he's subbed like today. 

When he starts doing this, we'll have a real home grown diamond to go with Jo Bryan.

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Been a big fan since first seeing him at MK Dons about 2 1/2 years ago. 

As well as being a bit inconsistent he's still to put in a consistent 90 minutes, often goes missing in last 20 minutes or he's subbed like today. 

When he starts doing this, we'll have a real home grown diamond to go with Jo Bryan.

I remember that day at MK. Reid was awesome & up until October/November of that season, along with JET was our best player. After that he seemed to go off it a bit & until now hasn't really done enough. Hopefully a turning point for Bobby.

27 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

He was brilliant today. Why people are just noticing it now is beyond me. "Easily his best display". Not for me, he was equally as good at Forest, at home to Bolton and at Fulham in recent weeks.

Was good second half Forrest but Bryan Tomlin and pack were better. Was very good coming on for the second half v Fulham, but this was definitely his best home performance and his best from a start, 

49 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think Johnson done well picking Bobby today. Saw had a very small central midfield and it played to bobby's strengths more. He wasn't getting knocked off the ball because they didn't have the players that do that. Someone mentioned West Brom when he was playing with centre half sized midfielders like Meyler, Huddlestone and Anichibe. LJ has really done well making adjustments and matching up

Absolutely - LJ said he believed this was the sort of game that would suit Bobby and picked him accordingly, and for his 70 minutes he mostly did very well.

Unfortunately it also implies LJ believes that there are other games that wouldn't 'suit him', and where LJ would be loath to pick him.

He took his goal superbly - how many times have we seen him hit the ball miles over the bar from similar situations? - and, mostly freed from defensive responsibilities, looked very promising going forward.

A pity the through ball to the rejuvenated Freeman lacked half a yard of pace meaning LF had to check his stride, but his run for the penalty was excellent.

He wasn't my MOTM by any means. Matthews was easily the stand out player and Flint barely put a foot wrong over the 90 minutes and his tackling and distribution were top notch today.

I think he'll get his new contract. LJ likes him and has often spoken warmly of having coached him as a 14 year old.

If we're content that BR will in all likelihood never be a regular, but can have a really positive effect for 70 minutes in the games the manager feels 'suit him', then I think it's still possible for Bobby to have a future at AG and be a useful squad player going forward.

1 hour ago, Taylor10 said:

Yes....easily his best display. Was good at Forest but not as good as he was today. Also people are probably only noticing now because he is contributing more. One goal all season isn't exactly championship quality is it? He needs to kick on from this now & I hope he does.

1 goal yes, but through just 25 scattered appearances, makes it hard to gain some consistency. Either way, compare him to Freeman who has 1 goal in 40 appearances, and has less assists than Bobby. Also Pack and Korey have just the 1 goal between them. I know they're more defensive minded but the point still stands, they play the same position.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Good point....hadn't thought of that. :yes:

Also, haven't heard any interviews, but I wonder whether Joe Bryan's selection at left back was more to do with Nuhia (the Nightclub bouncer looking striker) liking to peel off to the back post, Where JB is so good in the air, and less to do with Golbourne's first iffy game on Tuesday.

If so, a masterstroke by LJ.

Archived