IGNORED

If you knew what you know now about LJ

iamalagerdrinker

14 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I don't want our manager to be 'muted', I want to hear what he has to say :ph34r:

And can you never, ever, put pics on Pulis and H*lloway on here again, little bit of sick just came up. I don't mind Colin

Looks like Pulis has just dropped one, Colin can smell it and the little rat faced ***** is saying he didn't hear a thing.....

I'd have had either down here for short term. But not Pulis. I recall the last time and the graffiti then.

If it was good enough for Frankie Howerd then it's good enough for Tony.

Up Pompei!

I like Colin and Ian.

What? What have I said?

6 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I'd have had either down here for short term. But not Pulis. I recall the last time and the graffiti then.

If it was good enough for Frankie Howerd then it's good enough for Tony.

Up Pompei!

I like Colin and Ian.

What? What have I said?

Good lord. That is a hell of a thing to admit. Expect incoming......

8 hours ago, Slacker said:

I would have preferred, Bob Huge,Laurence Massive,Graham Behemoth or Gordon Monumental,

5 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Wonder if Eddie Large was considered? He does live local doesn't he?

Damn you!

If I'm honest I was unsure when LJ was appointed. I had liked him as a player and was impressed with the performance of his Oldham side at Ashton Gate. However, as manager/head coach I was worried he lacked experience, especially at this level. I was surprised when I heard him say on the radio he had managed about 200 games because I hadn't realised it was that many.

So far I've been impressed. He's done really well to get us to a position of virtual safety and he has shown that he's adaptable with team selection and tactics. In his interviews he is interesting and articulate and he clearly has a passion for our club. His signings so far have been excellent.

The next test will be the extent to which we progress from here. I hope he succeeds.

2 hours ago, Super said:

No doubting LJ has done a great job as we were clearly going down under Cotts, can anyone honestly see him getting us into the premier league which is the aim?

Yes, why not? There seems to be an assumption on here that only a "proven" manager with the right "experience" could take us into the Premier League.

Did Nigel Pearson have experience of promotion to the PL before he took Leicester up?

Had Eddie Howe got a team promoted before he achieved it with Bournemouth?

What had Brendan Rodgers achieved of note before he guided Swansea to the top division?

A manager has to achieve something for the first time before they can be called "experienced" or "proven". Appointing someone who has previously done it is one way. Putting your faith in a young talented manager is another.

Johnson has a long way to go but I see no reason at this stage why he couldn't achieve the ultimate dream. His record so far is excellent given the tools he has to work with - what could a Pearson or Moyes realistically have done better with this group of players?

11 hours ago, spudski said:

Always said LJ would be our manager...even put money on it last year.

A 'big name' doesn't guarantee results.

It's about finding the right person, at the right time, to fit in with the plans the club have.

If you can get everyone at the club working in the same direction and in agreement, with an understanding, then you may achieve something.

If you get disagreements and managers moving in a different direction to what has been agreed...then you get what we had at the beginning of this season.

I personally like the fact, that the Club have gone for a young forward thinking, progressive, and modern thinking management team.

I really get the impression certain City fans don't realise how well LJ is thought of in football.

So a yes man then

He's not the first man to come in and steer us away from a precarious position to safety (touch wood!)

As has been said, the next bit will be to see if he can build on it. Both his old man and Cotterill did it, and straight away too. Others weren't so successful, and didn't last too long.  

10 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

So a yes man then

Oh dear.

Yep. A yes man. Or a puppet. Or even a muppet.

But a head coach who's now taken us to safety. Wonder where we'd be if the "suited and booted" one was still here playing that dreadful formation, not making substitutions and having spaces on the bench? ;)

I don't understand this 'Yes man' tag.

As an owner of a club, you want everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.

You create a blueprint...have a budget...and build a management team, staff and have coach's that all buy into the 'master plan'.

Are people saying they want a manager who is going to come in and do his own thing, regardless of what is being asked of him and what the budget is?

If so...God help you. You've obviously never owned a business or a football club...or know how the intricacies of such work.

20 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Yes.My view still stands. LJ still not going to take us to the next level (in my opinion). A more high profile manager would of attracted the players required. But....SL clearly hasn't the ambition 'yet' to go for it. That's why LJ is appointed.

:)

Attracted the players required? So you reckon a different manager would have attracted players better than Odemwingie and Matthews then? I note that the mighty Warnock got in Paddy Kenny and Lloyd Doyley, is that the sort of player we should be trying to attract then?

54 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't understand this 'Yes man' tag.

As an owner of a club, you want everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.

You create a blueprint...have a budget...and build a management team, staff and have coach's that all buy into the 'master plan'.

Are people saying they want a manager who is going to come in and do his own thing, regardless of what is being asked of him and what the budget is?

If so...God help you. You've obviously never owned a business or a football club...or know how the intricacies of such work.

If there's one thing the last ten years at Bristol City have taught us, it's that there IS no master plan. I like what Lee Johnson has achieved so far, but is he going to be able to ruffle a few feathers next season when the members of the board who know nothing about football start to put their oar in?

7 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

If there's one thing the last ten years at Bristol City have taught us, it's that there IS no master plan. I like what Lee Johnson has achieved so far, but is he going to be able to ruffle a few feathers next season when the members of the board who know nothing about football start to put their oar in?

That's a very big assumption you are making there fella.

As for managers that put their oar in so to speak...well we've had a few...and they didn't hang around long.

When you say 'ruffle a few feathers'...isn't that what SC and SoD and Coppell did? How did that work out?

I think it's obvious for us to see, that the Club have learnt from their mistakes and are trying to rectify things by bringing in people that can work together.

I can understand people being cautious in believing this, considering our past...but it can't continue in the same vein forever.

Change can happen.

23 hours ago, spudski said:

That's a very big assumption you are making there fella.

As for managers that put their oar in so to speak...well we've had a few...and they didn't hang around long.

When you say 'ruffle a few feathers'...isn't that what SC and SoD and Coppell did? How did that work out?

I think it's obvious for us to see, that the Club have learnt from their mistakes and are trying to rectify things by bringing in people that can work together.

I can understand people being cautious in believing this, considering our past...but it can't continue in the same vein forever.

Change can happen.

It's not really an assumption - it's based on cold, hard evidence. Up until about a month ago, we were in grave danger of being relegated back to League One, where we would've played our matches in a half-empty stadium. That doesn't sound like much of a master-plan.

Just because the aforementioned managers left the club for ruffling feathers, it doesn't mean that ruffling feathers was the wrong thing to do from a footballing perspective. It merely means that the board adopt an 'our way or the highway' policy. The only problem being that their way isn't always the best way.

Archived